New to Corvairs - where should I start?

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
joelsplace

Re: New to Corvairs - where should I start?

Post by joelsplace »

I didn't notice anyone mentioning the following:
You need to run 10psi less pressure in the front tires. 25 front / 35 rear is good for the Maxxis MA-1s.
Check your differential fluid. Your 64 should have a dipstick. Check it regularly for signs of ATF. When the internal seals go bad and leak ATF into it the ring and pinion will be destroyed quickly. Use a good synthetic GL5 fluid. Do not overfill or it will blow fluid out the vent.
Dexron VI is good for the transmission.
The cover under the alternator or generator is for cleaning the oil cooler. Clean it now and at every oil change.
Check the 3" hose on the front of the fan shroud for leaks or better yet just block it off. Loss of cooling air there will cause overheating.
You will need to run premium fuel in the 140 to prevent detonation.
If your steering is sloppy the pitman bushing is probably bad. I replace them with nylon ones. You probably also need to adjust the steering box.
Don't over tighten the belt. You should be able to move the alternator/generator fan with a moderate pull from one finger.
Use the correct belt. Most auto parts stores have the wrong one listed. It should be wrapped and not ride high in the groove. I can't remember the number but a quick search here will reveal it. Clark's has had a lot of issues with their belts over the last few years.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
RKF

Post by RKF »

Congratulations on your new Corvair. Adventure awaits!

The Corvair clubs in Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville are all very active and filled with friendly, knowledgeable folks. Once each year the three clubs get together for a weekend at Cumberland Mountain State Park in Crossville. Any of these three clubs would welcome you as a member.

As someone once said, the person working on your Corvair will likely be learning as they go. So it might as well be you.
kmart356

Post by kmart356 »

ponyguru wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:58 pm ...snipped...
I have driven it around town a few times, but I have been very gentle on the gas and haven't got it above about 40.
...snipped...
Soon, I hope to get on the highway and see how and if my transmission shifts to 2nd.
I would think that if you have been gentle on the gas and gone 40mph, the PG would have shifted to 2nd already.
Listen & feel for the transmission shifting at lower road speed.
Ken
'62 Spyder. '63 Monza.
ponyguru

Post by ponyguru »

[/quote]
I would think that if you have been gentle on the gas and gone 40mph, the PG would have shifted to 2nd already.
Listen & feel for the transmission shifting at lower road speed.
[/quote]

I drove it a bit more on the highway, and this is correct. It was hard for me to hear or feel the shift except for the drop in engine rpm - until I really listened for it. I got up to about 70 mph today and it feels pretty steady. I don't plan on much interstate driving, but it's good to know regardless.

Thank you all for the help. It has been invaluable in getting this far.
rhet67

Post by rhet67 »

Congrats! You have a good package. The 64 had some suspension upgrades the earlier versions didn't. You also got the 140 engine which is the ultimate upgrade. The first thing you need to do is "flush" all fluids, including the trans and the engine.
Since you don't know how well the car was maintained, I would drain the engine oil, change the oil filter and add three quarts of 20 weight oil and one quart of transmission oil to the crankcase. Drive the car (gently) for 2-300 miles and drain the oil. Leave the oil filter but refill the crankcase with 10-30 oil. Drive it 500 miles and see if it uses any oil. Using a quart in 1000 miles is acceptable (no need to rebuild the engine). Be careful not to buy items you really don't "have to have" as you can easily spend more than you will ever get back! Try to do most work yourself as the cost of a mechanic (if you can find one that knows Corvairs) will be expensive. After ensuring it runs ok (you may have to do a tune up {spark plug, points, condenser, new spark plug wires) but only if it isn't drivable (smooth running). At some point I would install an electronic ignition (once installed you never have to deal with it again). Next, pull the brake drums off the check the brake lining to ensure the car will be safe to drive. Change the brake fluid. Follow the manual instructions on this. Check the tires for the manufacturing date. The tread may be good, but if the tires are over 5 years old you should replace them. That should be enough for now. Good luck. Rhet
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

I also no one sent you to the list of manual, books and websites. The Corvanantics web site has electronic manuals for your 64 you can down load for free.

Take a look at the Good Books section of the attached link. Also look at the manuals you will need to maintain yopur new prized possession.

Recommended Corvair Manuals & other good info
vhttps://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... al#p135929

Lots of Good info and where to go get info on the Corvair in the link.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE

Return to “Introductions”