More Muffler Chatter

Anything Corvair related
2LZ

More Muffler Chatter

Post by 2LZ »

While I'm still a ways from firing my '65 Corsa, once I'm underneath doing gaskets, I'll be dropping the current mufflers due to age, rust, etc, and replacing them with a type of turbo muffler that I would like to hang on the stock hangers. May as well while I'm down there on my back (picture a turtle) replacing the valve cover gaskets and pan gasket.

I've searched old threads far and wide, and I see mufflers like the Cherry Bomb 87703 (currently unavailable anywhere), Dynamax 17731 and a few others are some of the favorite, inexpensive options. The problem I'm running across is that all of these seem to be directional, and I'm seeing what appears to be a lot of mufflers installed backwards. The center hole is usually the outlet (B side). Hence, my confusion. Straighten out this Corvair Greenhorn, please.

Any input, advice, pics, muffler suggestions, and info on flow direction would be greatly appreciated. That said, the last thing I want to do is spend big-bank on a complete, expensive setup. It's not a race or track car.
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
kmart356

Re: More Muffler Chatter

Post by kmart356 »

The Dynomax is reversible and fits the std. turbo engine mounting hardware on the right side. If you go with duals, the left side is your chance to get creative.

https://www.dynomax.com/super-turbo-off ... d-694.html
Ken
'62 Spyder. '63 Monza.
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

I think you need to define how you want your engine to sound. I have found out that not all mufflers are as quiet as the stock muffler. I purchased several different mufflers then set them on the car and they ALL sounded the same! They were reasonably quiet but only half as quiet as stock.

You can still buy straight through glass packs just not the "Cherry Bomb" name.
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

vairmech wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:39 am I think you need to define how you want your engine to sound. I have found out that not all mufflers are as quiet as the stock muffler. I purchased several different mufflers then set them on the car and they ALL sounded the same! They were reasonably quiet but only half as quiet as stock.

As Davemotohead quoted about the Cherry Bomb turbo muffler in an older thread, "I was surprised that they were quiet at idle but had a nice deep throaty sound and when Phil punched it going down the street....."
Kinda like this sound.

Being a CA car, the rest of the tubing looks good. It's the condensation that sits in the old mufflers here that rots them.
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

kmart356 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:23 am The Dynomax is reversible and fits the std. turbo engine mounting hardware on the right side. If you go with duals, the left side is your chance to get creative.

https://www.dynomax.com/super-turbo-off ... d-694.html
Looks like this will be the way I'll be going. Mellow sound but a little more than stock, bi-directional.
I'm aware that nothing sounds like a V8 but a V8. My wife has had two V6 Challengers and we leave them stock. Nothing sounds funnier to me than a piped V6. That said, I'm looking forward to a little more sound from the Flat 6. Totally different animal.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

2LZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:45 am
vairmech wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:39 am I think you need to define how you want your engine to sound. I have found out that not all mufflers are as quiet as the stock muffler. I purchased several different mufflers then set them on the car and they ALL sounded the same! They were reasonably quiet but only half as quiet as stock.

As Davemotohead quoted about the Cherry Bomb turbo muffler in an older thread, "I was surprised that they were quiet at idle but had a nice deep throaty sound and when Phil punched it going down the street....."
Kinda like this sound.

Being a CA car, the rest of the tubing looks good. It's the condensation that sits in the old mufflers here that rots them.
Except for stainless steel mufflers, they all will rot from condensation if you don't let them get HOT after starting the engine. After going through too many mufflers on old cars, I Iearned to take the car for a drive of at least 15 minutes, or I DO NOT start the engine.

I agree with vairmech the NOS stock muffler is quietest. I got a set of NOS duals for one of my 140HP engines years ago when I bought a "pile" of parts from an estate sale. My other 140HP has the Clark's "alluminized" dual mufflers with the larger exhaust tip. They have a nice deep sound at idle that folks seem to like, but on the road they are quiet. The only complaint is the baffles in the mufflers started to RATTLE at idle. I've used louder mufflers when I was younger but they all DRONED at road speeds. Sounds like a sick cow and it gets old fast. Just my :my02:
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

66vairguy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:08 am
2LZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:45 am

Kinda like this sound.

Except for stainless steel mufflers, they all will rot from condensation if you don't let them get HOT after starting the engine. After going through too many mufflers on old cars, I Iearned to take the car for a drive of at least 15 minutes, or I DO NOT start the engine.

I agree with vairmech the NOS stock muffler is quietest. I got a set of NOS duals for one of my 140HP engines years ago when I bought a "pile" of parts from an estate sale. My other 140HP has the Clark's "alluminized" dual mufflers with the larger exhaust tip. They have a nice deep sound at idle that folks seem to like, but on the road they are quiet. The only complaint is the baffles in the mufflers started to RATTLE at idle. I've used louder mufflers when I was younger but they all DRONED at road speeds. Sounds like a sick cow and it gets old fast. Just my :my02:
Totally agree. Loud was nice younger but now, excess noise and drone is definitely not an option. It's funny how the older and deafer I get, the less I like loud. Mrs. 2LZ Sportster came with loud pipes. She rode caboose. :rolling:
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Speaking of Mrs. 2LZ, she's definitely involved with this project and has her opinions on things......such as she's not hot on the turnout tail pipes and likes these. Wants them out the back. I'm just not sure how close to the ground they'll end up.
Attachments
tail pipe.jpg
tail pipe.jpg (15.93 KiB) Viewed 345 times
Doug Ward

Post by Doug Ward »

Hi 2LZ,
I'll add a couple of thoughts to your post. Back when I was slalom racing my '64 Monza, I built my own engines and developed the best sounding exhaust system ever heard.
I did have tube headers but you can also use stock exhaust manifolds. It was basicely a dual system with as long pair of glass pack mufflers that would fit in the space. Here's the trick part; AFTER the mufflers, run the two exhaust pipes back together, behind the engine. When they meet in the middle, terminate them into a 2" oval trip, then straight out for about 8 to 10 inches. I made a hole in the engine grill & ran the tip through that.
My engine would turn well past 7000 RPMs & I'll tall ya, it sounded better than any 12 cyl Ferrari or straight 6 Jaguar . If you try this, and the engine still drones inside the car, attach a 1" removable cross over pipe between the 2 "U" pieces coming out of the manifolds. It has to be removable to facilitate servicing the exhaust system.
Another reason Corvairs drone inside the car is because the rear muffler mount bracket gets mounted to the BODY of the car. I has to be mounted to the ENGINE, like the factory did it.
This system won't work with a turbo engine. The turbo needs a single exhaust.
Best of luck with your project.
American Mel

Post by American Mel »

Plain and simply, exhausts drone because of frequency resonance.
Kill the resonance, and you kill to drone.
You came have loud exhaust and not have drone.
If you like everything about your current exhaust, but there is a drone on the highway, don't ditch your exhaust, just add a Helmholtz Resonator.
You will find a TON of youtube videos about killing drone with the Helmholtz resonator and they work.
Factories have used them for years, particularly on intake systems.
Here is how one guy did it.

As for piped V6's sounding funny, that is because for a V6 to sound good, you need 120 Degree headers.
Currently own: '66Monza Coupe, '67Monza Vert, '67A/C Monza Sport Sedan
Have owned: '61Monza Coupe, '62Monza Wagon, '63Spyder, '65 Corsa
Loc: WA, One mile south of Canadian border.
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

American Mel wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:24 pm Plain and simply, exhausts drone because of frequency resonance.
Kill the resonance, and you kill to drone.
You came have loud exhaust and not have drone.
If you like everything about your current exhaust, but there is a drone on the highway, don't ditch your exhaust, just add a Helmholtz Resonator.
You will find a TON of youtube videos about killing drone with the Helmholtz resonator and they work.
Factories have used them for years, particularly on intake systems.
Here is how one guy did it.

As for piped V6's sounding funny, that is because for a V6 to sound good, you need 120 Degree headers.
When we were exploring exhaust options for Mrs. 2LZ first V6 Challenger, I saw a lot of J-pipe options for killing possible drone. There was one system (can't remember who's) that actually sounded ok. Kept it stock, saved the bucks. Come to find out, after 60k miles, the stock muffler starts to sound better. Nice little idle rumble, quiet at cruise. Pleasant surprise, cost nothing! :tu:

On the Corvair, I'm not looking for loud. Maybe a little more sound than stock, but nothing obnoxious, by any means. I want to be able to comfortably cruise it without a headache. When the time comes, I have the Dynamax 17731's and all the proper adapters, clamps, etc...in my Amazon wish list. They seem to be a very popular choice. I'll keep my nose on the hunt, though.....
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Got my U pipes from Clark's today. Inside diameter of the pipe exit measured 1.75" ID with my digital mic. Muffler inlet for the Dynamax 17731's is 2.25" ID. This adapter surfing is driving me to drink....... :doh:
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

2LZ wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:28 pm Got my U pipes from Clark's today. Inside diameter of the pipe exit measured 1.75" ID with my digital mic. Muffler inlet for the Dynamax 17731's is 2.25" ID. This adapter surfing is driving me to drink....... :doh:
My favorite saying is "This is as bad as working on an exhaust system" :wave:

Return to “Corvair Talk”