Window Crank Handle Position

All Models and Years
RKF

Window Crank Handle Position

Post by RKF »

Did GM have a standard for the position of the window crank. For example was the crank pointing to 2:00, or some other position, with the window all the way up? Just trying to get things right.
gbullman

Re: Window Crank Handle Position

Post by gbullman »

I always position so with window closed the handle is straight up. Figure closed is a good reference and straight up is out of the way
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

And for an opposing viewpoint, I put the driver's side window cranks at 4 PM and the passenger's side at 8 PM (or AM, doesn't matter, I should have written o'clock... :rolling: ). Well if the knob does not hit my knee! I might be off slightly. I mean my handle positioning might be off slightly, I know I'm off.... :rolling:

Funny, There seems to be NO agreement on other GM forums!!!!!! Although 10 o'clock for the passenger side (2 o'clock on driver) is also mentioned more than once. :chevy:

If your knee hits it with the window closed, it is wrong, that we can all agree on!
:tu:

:dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
rcavictor

Post by rcavictor »

It seems that sometimes you can get an idea of what GM was intending from the interior brochures. Making an assumption the window was in the ‘up’ position…

Not sure if you have an EM or LM
Attachments
IMG_0892.jpeg
IMG_0893.jpeg
Rob

- Cornucopia of Corvairs
Ocklawaha FL
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

I look at it this way, you generally want the window to stay up when you have it closed. So I crank the window up until it is closed and then position the handle so the handle weight helps keep the window closed. On the driver's side this is generally anywhere between the 8 o'clock to 10 o'clock position. The pass side of course would be 2 and 4. Whatever you do make it consistent throughout the car.

Why the symmetrical positions you ask? On the driver's side the handle cranks counter clockwise and the pass crank clockwise to roll up the windows.
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

vairmech wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:56 am I look at it this way, you generally want the window to stay up when you have it closed. So I crank the window up until it is closed and then position the handle so the handle weight helps keep the window closed. On the driver's side this is generally anywhere between the 8 o'clock to 10 o'clock position. The pass side of course would be 2 and 4. Whatever you do make it consistent throughout the car.

Why the symmetrical positions you ask? On the driver's side the handle cranks counter clockwise and the pass crank clockwise to roll up the windows.
CORRECT --- the hand crank weight will make a difference due to constant body vibrations as the car goes down the road!!
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

On any car I've replaced a crank on, even my old customers cars, I cranked the window all the way up and mounted the handle pointing away from my arm on the arm rest, so it didn't bug them or be in the way. It only took one complaint (come back) to learn the lesson.
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

2LZ wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:08 pm On any car I've replaced a crank on, even my old customers cars, I cranked the window all the way up and mounted the handle pointing away from my arm on the arm rest, so it didn't bug them or be in the way. It only took one complaint (come back) to learn the lesson.
On my LM the window winder handle is high on the door. I have the handle and knob horizontal and toward the rear. Handle weight helps keep the window up and it keeps the knob away from my leg and the area you reach to turn on the headlights.

Just me.
irfgt

Post by irfgt »

My 1969 Corvair with 93 miles on it has the passenger front handle at about the 7:30 position and the rear right handle is at about the 3:30 position. The left side is of course the opposite. I doubt the handles have ever been off the car.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I wonder if there is anything in the Shop Manual, Fisher Body Manual, or the factory Assembly Manual.

I suspect if the factory Assembly Manual does not state what position the handle goes on, then the factory workers did whatever was convenient for them.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

My 1969 Corvair with 93 miles on it has the passenger front handle at about the 7:30 position

This is exactly what I remember from working on unmolested cars back in the late 70s. :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :drinkinbuddy: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

I have mine at 1 -2 position. It does not vibrate down while driving. Now when window is full down, handle is at 6:00 position. Neither position contacts my knee when I drive it. Nor does it contact my wife's knee, but she drives like a lady, not a grunting mechanic man. ::-):

Now, if you position your handle at any other position to clear the knee, I think a man's knee could hit the handle when it is full down. Now, I have to assume the window is rolled down fully and then handle rolled to move it away from the knee for comfort. :my02:
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Now you guys have given me something else to be annoyed by. I had never thought about my knee hitting the window crank before.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

joelsplace wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:36 am Now you guys have given me something else to be annoyed by. I had never thought about my knee hitting the window crank before.
Wait until November.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”