What Kind of Fan is This?

All Models and Years
RKF

What Kind of Fan is This?

Post by RKF »

During my search for a wagon, I came across a picture of an unusual engine fan. Has anyone seen a fan like this? It looks pretty inefficient.
FAN.jpg
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: What Kind of Fan is This?

Post by azdave »

Looks like a standard 60-61 fan hiding in there.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Yep, that's it! First steel fan. Was replaced by a steel fan with blades in the middle too. The Magnesium fan did not come out until 1964, so all 140 and 145 cu in engines came with steel fans. :clap:

This early steel fan and an 80 hp engine is the quietest running Corvair!
:tu:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

1964-1969 Magnesium Corvair Blower (Fan)
(Center bearing hole size was smaller in 1964)

1961-1963 Steel Corvair Blower (Fan)

1960-Early 1961 Steel Corvair Blower (Fan)

The lightweight magnesium fan put less stress on the fan belt, as the kinetic energy stored in the heavier steel fans resisted rotation speed changes (like a flywheel) when the crankshaft pulley changed RPM speeds rapidly — particularly during manual transmission shifting between gears. This stress on the belt contributed to flipping belts in early model Corvairs. The change to the lightweight magnesium fan and the addition of belt guides on the fan an idler pulleys, and improvements in fan belt construction and design essentially eliminated the reputation Corvairs had in the early days for flipping fan belts. The rotating mass in the 1960-1964 generators was also reduced when Corvairs switched to alternators in 1965.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

The magnesium fans were easier on belts but were not as efficient.
IIRC the '62-'63 fan was the best for cooling.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

The open center was needed on the '60's for the air control ring to drop into. This limited air flow for temp control.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

RexJohnson wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:06 am The open center was needed on the '60's for the air control ring to drop into. This limited air flow for temp control.
Good comment - No engine hot air heater on 1960 models so that design worked well. It was changed in 1961 when Ford 1960 Falcon ads attacked the Corvair "gasoline" heater as causing poor Winter fuel mileage (not sure how true this was), Chevy changed the engine cooling system to use the engine cooling air to heat the passenger compartment.

In response to Ford's Falcon ads, the 1961 model year Corvair trunk got a front valence panel "bump out" and the spare tire got moved to the engine compartment to INCREASE trunk size. The engine size was increased from 140c.i. to 145c.i. to counter the Falcon's "bigger" in 1960 144c.i. engine in ads. When the Falcon got an optional 101HP engine Corvair got and optional 102HP engine.

GM spent a LOT of money on Corvair upgrades on a low profit margin car - WHY? The automotive books say the Ford, GM, and Chrysler folks were well aware of "brand loyalty" and a first time buyer stayed with the car company throughout life as they bought bigger and more profitable cars. Well maybe that was true back then, but by the 70's that model became invalid as folks started to buy "foreign" cars due to the high prices and shoddy quality of "American" cars. The Chevy "Vega" is an example.
Nashfan

Post by Nashfan »

RKF wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:49 pm During my search for a wagon, I came across a picture of an unusual engine fan. Has anyone seen a fan like this? It looks pretty inefficient.FAN.jpg
You are correct, it is a inefficient fan. More precisely, its efficiency at 4k engine rpm is something like 16%. The low efficiency is caused both by the large drive hp, and relatively low flow and pressure generated by the fan.
Fan Efficiency Comparison.pdf
(55.98 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
erco

Post by erco »

Nashfan wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:26 am

You are correct, it is a inefficient fan. More precisely, its efficiency at 4k engine rpm is something like 16%.

Nice chart, your Nashfan is impressive. Looks like that purple curve is close to 29% @ 4k RPM.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”