Manual to Automatic

All Models and Years
Kryn65

Manual to Automatic

Post by Kryn65 »

I have a 62 Greenbrier van that is automatic, but have a T0122VB engine. I don't have $4,000,00 to do the conversion. Is it possible to, and less expensive to put a clutch pedal and linkage into the van? I am also willing to search for another engine, which may be less expensive. I also need to buy automatic transmission. :helpsos:
caraholic4life

Re: Manual to Automatic

Post by caraholic4life »

Where are you located?

I have a 1962 95 Van with a manual transmission and would prefer one with an automatic but am not willing to make the effort to do a swap so it will stay as it is.

My Van has not seen the road in close to 40 years but is solid where it counts and why I have it.
http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... le#p131953
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

Where are you getting the $4000 number? What does that entail?
Is there a bad PG engine in there now? Does the Greenbrier have the Powerglide shifter and cable?
You can put a PG bell housing on a Manual engine. Then flex plate, torque convertor, differential and transmission.
Easy for me to say, I have all that stuff.
You can go either way, PG or Manual, if you have the right stuff.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
Kryn65

Post by Kryn65 »

I spoke to a guy in Pa. about the situation. The engine I have the bell housing on it. I have 2 manual transmissions, and a differential. Should I just put in a clutch and shift linkage for the manual transmission?
I also have other engine cases, but are 80 hp, not sure if powerglide or not.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

1. Do you need someone to do this work and not yourself?

2. Is there an engine and Powerglide in the van now? :dontknow:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Converting your PG Corvair 95 to manual transmission is a much bigger and more expensive job than converting your MT engine to PG spec. How much bigger job; maybe 25x bigger job and 10x more expensive.

Highly suggest you convert your engine to PG (Flexplate, short bolts, bell housing, balance tube, remove pilot bushing)
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
Kryn65

Post by Kryn65 »

I was looking at the cases that I have. One of them is a ZG, for a 64 van, 110 hp, with a/c. :clap: :clap: Now the expense of building an engine from ground up.
Anyone need an engine for a manual transmission?
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

No such thing as an FC engine with air conditioning. :tu:

Putting a PG belhousing on an engine is real easy. Same as changing the crankshaft seal. Various methods can make removing the pilot bushing an easy job. [\color] :wink:

Just checked junkyard primer. ZG is car with air conditioning and Powerglide. Code is of course used on 61 to 64 engines so 145 cu in or 164 cu in. Have to make sure which.
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
Wittsend

Post by Wittsend »

There seems to be some confusion but hopefully with the questions answered he can get more help.

"I have a 62 Greenbrier van that is automatic," - Does the van have an engine in it now? Does this van have a transmission in it now?

"... but have a T0122VB engine." Is this a spare engine not installed in the van at this time but an engine you are considering installing in the van?

" I don't have $4,000 to do the conversion." What conversion are you speaking of? What was the reasons you were quoted $4,000?

"Is it possible to, and less expensive to put a clutch pedal and linkage into the van?" Less expensive than what?

"I am also willing to search for another engine, which may be less expensive."

"I also need to buy automatic transmission." You say, "also". Do you need a separate Automatic transmission for something else or is this for the van mentioned above? Do you have the automatic differential and torque convertor?

What I'm getting from this is he has a '62 van that originally came as an automatic. Apparently it is either without an engine, or the engine in it needs to be replaced. He has an engine TO122VB which is listed as a 64 FC Manual 110 VB that he wants to install. However, the means of adaptation he was told will cost $4,000. I think Jim addressed that in part and it would seem he could just swap his (presumed - we aren't sure he has an existing engine..., or not) bellhousing and perhaps only needs to swap the flex plate because it theoretically would be a 62 to 64 engine swap? Not sure where the $4,000 comes in to do that?

You guys know far more than I do but it seems he wants to put an 64 FC engine into a 62 FC. And presuming he has the '62 engine he can adapt the PG bellhousing and swap the flex plate. Anything else that that should be an issue for him?
'61 Lakewood in a coma for 50 years - now has a pulse
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

You don't have to take a crankcase with a PG number and "build it from the ground up".
Jim Brandberg

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”