Slip-on Seat Covers

Anything Corvair related
2LZ

Slip-on Seat Covers

Post by 2LZ »

Boy.... I didn't think this would be such a hunt. The upholstery on my '65 Corsa is in excellent shape for its age, and we'd like to keep it that way. Mrs. 2LZ came up with the idea of slip-over seat covers to handle this summers abuse.

Then the search began. I've found new upholstery everywhere, but no inexpensive (or expensive for that matter) slip-over covers that were in abundance when I was younger at any Grand Auto, Pep Boys, or parts store. Even the custom cover online companies seem to lose me after clicking on "1965", then "Chevrolet" in the drop-downs.

What are you guys running to protect the stock upholstery? Out here, the summer sun is brutal on interiors.
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
Wittsend

Re: Slip-on Seat Covers

Post by Wittsend »

I don't knowing the specific cover you are looking for but I took a quick look at Ebay and use the words "low back" in a seat cover search. That type doesn't have the tall one piece back going over a modern, built in head rest and might be more applicable to your need.

I chuckled when you said the upholstery was in "excellent shape." My wagon was supposedly only on the road from 1961 to 1973 (last time registered). I replaced the bench seat with modern bucket seats. As I was disassembling the seat to bare metal for the scrapers I found THREE layers of upholstery (in 12 years), one over the other. And these were not just "covers."
'61 Lakewood in a coma for 50 years - now has a pulse
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Wittsend wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:17 am I don't knowing the specific cover you are looking for but I took a quick look at Ebay and use the words "low back" in a seat cover search. That type doesn't have the tall one piece back going over a modern, built in head rest and might be more applicable to your need.

I chuckled when you said the upholstery was in "excellent shape." My wagon was supposedly only on the road from 1961 to 1973 (last time registered). I replaced the bench seat with modern bucket seats. As I was disassembling the seat to bare metal for the scrapers I found THREE layers of upholstery (in 12 years), one over the other. And these were not just "covers."
LOL! Well, in excellent shape, for its age, and for how many times it may have been reupholstered already. :rolling:
I ended up using your advice and searching "low back". I found some weave-type, universal fit, for removable head rests, that will hopefully suffice. We have a lot of local car shows around here during the summer and I'll pull them for that, but for daily use, I'd like some protection.....plus the ever-important dog rides. :tu:
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
Wittsend

Post by Wittsend »

I had to chuckle a second time regarding you mentioning dealing with heat and I saw you were located in Volcano, CA. My wife's relatives owned the Zeile Mine in Jackson back in the 1800's. We use to take our vacations travelling the length of Highway 49 for many years. And, yes, it does get hot!
'61 Lakewood in a coma for 50 years - now has a pulse
jfreez

Post by jfreez »

I was also looking for something like this a while back and could not find anything I liked. would you please post a pic once you have them on the car? I would love to see how they turn out
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Wittsend wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:07 pm I had to chuckle a second time regarding you mentioning dealing with heat and I saw you were located in Volcano, CA. My wife's relatives owned the Zeile Mine in Jackson back in the 1800's. We use to take our vacations travelling the length of Highway 49 for many years. And, yes, it does get hot!
Fantastic! You're familiar with the area. It's a fantastic place for car and motorcycle rides (my true love). I'm just now getting back into cars, but rolling around on the ground is tough these days. I see a lift in my future. All my motorcycle work is on a lift, bar stool height. Makes it nice.
This whole car project is actually Mrs. 2LZ idea. We've built cars together in the past and she retired (today actually!) and wanted something we could tinker with. It's going to be fun. :tu:
Hopefully you make it back out here someday. Drop us a line if you do! It hasn't changed much. Time stands still here and we kinda like it that way.
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

jfreez wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:16 pm I was also looking for something like this a while back and could not find anything I liked. would you please post a pic once you have them on the car? I would love to see how they turn out
Will do, for sure. As long as they don't look like a moo moo, I'll be happy for local use and dog rides. I'd like to post the link but it's not allowing me.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

I just run stock upholstery. If it gets worn out, Clarks has new upholstery for me to install. :tu: :chevy: :tu:

Now, dog nails, yes, you do need something heavy duty for them to sit on. And easily replaceable too. They will wear through anything!
:eek: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Finally got these on and I have to say, they fit FAR better than I was expecting, for "$25.00 Amazon Universal" seat covers. :tu: They should protect the upholstery from Spot's hair and claws, just fine. I'd post a link for those interested but for some reason, I'm not able to do that. BTW, they say they DO NOT FIT a 1965 Corvair. What do they know, huh? :clap:
...and as a bonus for Ralph, they are "airbag safe"! :rolling:
Attachments
Seat covers.jpg
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

Looks pretty decent to me. Thanks for showing them.
1963 Corvair Monza Convertible 140 4 speed.
Colorado Springs :wave:
jfreez

Post by jfreez »

looks like its time to put in an amazon order

Return to “Corvair Talk”