"Unsafe To Carry"

Anything Corvair related
playerpage
Location: From Delta Junction, AK to Provo, UT to Los Angeles, CA, to Sunbury, PA, now Porterville, CA

"Unsafe To Carry"

Post by playerpage »

Down at the local Uhaul today, picking up the car carrier to haul my 180 Turbo project over to the body & paint guy.

They had me down for a Tow Dolly instead. When I said that wouldn't work the lady tried to change it in the computer, and the computer wouldn't let me have the carrier. The system claims a Corvair is "Unsafe to carry."

That is exactly what it said.
Then:
1967 Monza 140 Red
1966 500 110 Black
1965 Monza 110 Yellow

Now:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Rust Project

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." - Sports Car Graphic, August 1969
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: "Unsafe To Carry"

Post by bbodie52 »

:whoa: Over the years, U-Haul has developed an established list of vehicles they don't want to deal with. The Ford Explorer and Corvair are two such vehicles on their list. Years ago the Ford Explorer developed a bad reputation for rolling or crashing when a tire failed. A series of accidents involving Ford Explorers and Firestone tires establish the negative reputation. U-Haul decided at a corporate level the safest thing for them to do was to ban trailer rentals when a Ford Explorer was to be the towing vehicle. I ran into this problem years ago when I tried to rent a trailer from U-Haul and showed up with a Ford Explorer. There was no argument that I could make to get them to rent a trailer to attach to that vehicle. It didn't matter that I did not have Firestone tires on the truck. It also didn't matter that the Mercury Mountaineer was not on their "do not rent to" list, but the Ford Explorer was, even though both vehicles were essentially the same! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone ... ontroversy

The Corvair became a banned vehicle that was not allowed on a U-Haul car hauler because of the weight distribution problem. Because of the rear engine and powertrain in the Corvair, loading the vehicle in compliance with their safety list below would tend to put more weight to the rear of the trailer. They also don't like the idea of loading the Corvair backwards. I would guess that the last item on the list below was referring to front engine cars being parked on the trailer backwards, which would put more weight to the rear and could cause the trailer to "fishtail"and possibly cause the driver to lose control. The same problem can occur when loading a cargo trailer if too much weight is loaded behind the axle of the trailer. A forward facing Corvair can be loaded on a long trailer, because most of the vehicle can be positioned further forward in front of the trailer axle. Loading the car on the trailer backwards can also solve the problem, but the safety checklist provided by U-Haul makes no provision for exceptions when loading rear engine vehicles.

I believe that I rented a truck and car hauler from Penske, and they had no such exception for hauling a Corvair. The trailer was long enough that I experienced no problem with the trailer "fishtailing"with the Corvair facing forward.

Remember - crashes are caused by
  • Driver error or Inattention.
  • Excessive speed.
  • Failure to load a vehicle-in-tow facing forward.
You should always
  • Load trailer heavier in front.
  • Reduce your normal driving speed.
  • Wear your seat belt.
:link: https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/121 ... tructions/
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

bbodie52 wrote::whoa: Over the years, U-Haul has developed an established list of vehicles they don't want to deal with. The Ford Explorer and Corvair are two such vehicles on their list. Years ago the Ford Explorer developed a bad reputation for rolling or crashing when a tire failed. A series of accidents involving Ford Explorers and Firestone tires establish the negative reputation. U-Haul decided at a corporate level the safest thing for them to do was to ban trailer rentals when a Ford Explorer was to be the towing vehicle. I ran into this problem years ago when I tried to rent a trailer from U-Haul and showed up with a Ford Explorer. There was no argument that I could make to get them to rent a trailer to attach to that vehicle. It didn't matter that I did not have Firestone tires on the truck. It also didn't matter that the Mercury Mountaineer was not on their "do not rent to" list, but the Ford Explorer was, even though both vehicles were essentially the same! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone ... ontroversy

The Corvair became a banned vehicle that was not allowed on a U-Haul car hauler because of the weight distribution problem. Because of the rear engine and powertrain in the Corvair, loading the vehicle in compliance with their safety list below would tend to put more weight to the rear of the trailer. They also don't like the idea of loading the Corvair backwards. I would guess that the last item on the list below was referring to front engine cars being parked on the trailer backwards, which would put more weight to the rear and could cause the trailer to "fishtail"and possibly cause the driver to lose control. The same problem can occur when loading a cargo trailer if too much weight is loaded behind the axle of the trailer. A forward facing Corvair can be loaded on a long trailer, because most of the vehicle can be positioned further forward in front of the trailer axle. Loading the car on the trailer backwards can also solve the problem, but the safety checklist provided by U-Haul makes no provision for exceptions when loading rear engine vehicles.

I believe that I rented a truck and car hauler from Penske, and they had no such exception for hauling a Corvair. The trailer was long enough that I experienced no problem with the trailer "fishtailing"with the Corvair facing forward.

Remember - crashes are caused by
  • Driver error or Inattention.
  • Excessive speed.
  • Failure to load a vehicle-in-tow facing forward.
You should always
  • Load trailer heavier in front.
  • Reduce your normal driving speed.
  • Wear your seat belt.
:link: https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/121 ... tructions/
I had a little trouble but if I remember correctly they changed the year and it excepted it. Don't ask me what year.
FB_IMG_1498891909271.jpg
Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

Deuce

63 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

I rented a bigger one than that from I haul, and it pulled one of mine to Georgia from Pennsylvania loaded back first with no issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock
playerpage
Location: From Delta Junction, AK to Provo, UT to Los Angeles, CA, to Sunbury, PA, now Porterville, CA

Post by playerpage »

Yeah, I hadn't shown up with the vehicle, and the lady running the counter was (really) 85 years old. She just looked at me and encouraged me to go ahead and give her another vehicle to list. So we used my wife's car.

I was able to drop it off.

Then:
1967 Monza 140 Red
1966 500 110 Black
1965 Monza 110 Yellow

Now:

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." - Sports Car Graphic, August 1969
Ford

Post by Ford »

I had the same problem, but the Uhaul guy noted that some Corvairs in some years were ok in their system. So, if you call yours a 1961-63 Corvair 900, they'll ok it. Also, they permit '61-64 Corvair pickups.

Steve
Steve in West Grove, PA

1964 Monza Convertible, white/black, 110/4sp
1962 Monza Wagon, white/red, 102/PG

Long ago:
1966 Corsa Convertible, maroon/black, 140/4sp, A/C
1961 Corvan, blue/gray, 80/3sp
wbabst

Post by wbabst »

I just moved my Lakewood from Washington to SoCal. I went with Penske because of price and equipment. They were cheaper than Budget or U-Haul. Corvair wasn't an option so put Chevy Cavalier on the web site. When I showed up their only concern was tire size. Once I told them they didn't care. I put the car on facing forward to get home, but switched it around for the trip. No problems at all.
Attachments
Message_1518281820424[1].jpg
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
playerpage

Post by playerpage »

Thought I'd bring this subject back to point out that the new mid-engine Corvette has the same weight ratio as a Corvair Coupe--40% in the front, and 60% in the back. I wonder if it is similarly banned by U-haul? There are a few Memes out there that show the Corvette falling off garage lifts because the mechanics were unaware.
Then:
1967 Monza 140 Red
1966 500 110 Black
1965 Monza 110 Yellow

Now:

Wittsend

Post by Wittsend »

I rented a U-Haul trailer and they wouldn't rent pick up trucks to tow it with. I HAD to rent a 10 ft. box truck. So, I hauled my car and about 800 cubic feet of AIR 400 miles from San Francisco. The people at U-Haul were very nice, about five of them came out of the office just to see a Pinto. I'm surprised it wasn't banned as a fire hazard. LOL
Pinto Trip Home.jpg
Pinto Trip Home.jpg (22.6 KiB) Viewed 160 times
'61 Lakewood in a coma for 50 years - now has a pulse
sethracer

Post by sethracer »

You could say it's a Chevy Monza, not positive of the year. Not telling a lie.
Corvair Enthusiast.

Return to “Corvair Talk”