New Fuel Injection Build

Anything Corvair related
Auto Anatomy

New Fuel Injection Build

Post by Auto Anatomy »

Good afternoon all! Just wanted to post a few quick updates about the new fuel injection system I've been building for my LM.

I know that Ted Brown makes a great bolt on kit, but wanted to take a slightly different route. This is version 1.0, and will be bank fired and controlled by a microsquirt system. Currently it has a single 55# injector feeding each bank, with a single fox body Mustang throttle body. The first iteration may keep the distributor and be fuel-only, but eventually will get a Ford EDIS system with crank trigger, allowing full spark and fuel control.

Ultimately I'd like to get some 140 heads and make a true sequential system with 6 injectors. So this is more proof of concept, & should have a video out soon documenting the build.

Sean
IMG_0027.jpeg
IMG_0024.jpeg
IMG_0023.jpeg
IMG_0026.jpeg
I'm a pulmonary/critical care nurse practitioner that is passionate about bringing classic cars back to life.

www.youtube.com/autoanatomy
www.facebook.com/autoanatomyUS
wlcarroll

Re: New Fuel Injection Build

Post by wlcarroll »

Your fabrication skills are amazing. Looking forward to seeing the video for this!
Wes Carroll
Baton Rouge LA
63 Monza Convertible
chris

Post by chris »

Wow, did you bend and fab those intake pipes? I agree, they look really good and it sounds like you have a good plan. Definitely keep us updated!
Auto Anatomy

Post by Auto Anatomy »

chris wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:11 pm Wow, did you bend and fab those intake pipes? I agree, they look really good and it sounds like you have a good plan. Definitely keep us updated!
I purchased some bends and cut/welded them to make the intake.
I'm a pulmonary/critical care nurse practitioner that is passionate about bringing classic cars back to life.

KenHenry

Post by KenHenry »

Looking good! Is that as mass air flow sensor front right? And what’s the little aluminum box on the front left on the firewall? I’m looking forward to the video. Ken
1965 Corvair Corsa coupe
Rochester, NY USA
Auto Anatomy

Post by Auto Anatomy »

KenHenry wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:50 am Looking good! Is that as mass air flow sensor front right? And what’s the little aluminum box on the front left on the firewall? I’m looking forward to the video. Ken
Mass air flow sensor on the right, and the aluminum block on the left is a vacuum distribution block with a MAP sensor.

toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

Nice job mating the mandrel bends to the throttle mount! Tricky stuff
1962 700 Wagon
1963 Spyder convertable
1965 Monza
1967 UltraVan 211
Nashfan

Post by Nashfan »

Auto Anatomy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:21 pm
KenHenry wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:50 am Looking good! Is that as mass air flow sensor front right? And what’s the little aluminum box on the front left on the firewall? I’m looking forward to the video. Ken
Mass air flow sensor on the right, and the aluminum block on the left is a vacuum distribution block with a MAP sensor.
Is the throttle drive by wire or is it cable driven?
Auto Anatomy

Post by Auto Anatomy »

Nashfan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:51 pm
Auto Anatomy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:21 pm
Is the throttle drive by wire or is it cable driven?
It will be cable operated

Auto Anatomy

Post by Auto Anatomy »

chris

Post by chris »

Thanks for sharing! Nice cliffhanger too and I'm curious to see what you do for the throttle linkage.
guthrie1068
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by guthrie1068 »

What a great video!! Every single person who has gone through an initial startup has said the same thing, and it is such a great feeling when it fires and runs!! Nice job!!
Chad Guthrie
Rives Junction, MI
'63 Convertible
Auto Anatomy

Post by Auto Anatomy »

It's up and driving, but need to rethink the PCV system. It's not drawing enough air out of the crankcase and allowing pressure to build up. I've seen some adjustable PCV valves, but am thinking about a system to use Holley fuel jets as a restriction. That way it can be easily changed if needed.

chris

Post by chris »

guthrie1068 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:43 am What a great video!! Every single person who has gone through an initial startup has said the same thing, and it is such a great feeling when it fires and runs!! Nice job!!
No doubt about that! As far as using Holley jets for the PCV, I feel like I've seen people do that (maybe even epoxying and tapping the PCV hole to accept a jet?).
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

Why not just make it a real Positive Crankcase Ventilation System. Tap in ahead of your mass air flow sensor and run a hose with the clean air into the oil fill pipe. Then connect a PCV valve between the stock crankcase opening and the balance tube. No orifice needed or wanted. Now you will have a positive flow thru the engine instead of having a road draft tube type system with the orifice. If you only have 1 opening for the clean air to go in and the blow by to come out then it is a road draft type system.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
Auto Anatomy

Post by Auto Anatomy »

RexJohnson wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:02 pm Why not just make it a real Positive Crankcase Ventilation System. Tap in ahead of your mass air flow sensor and run a hose with the clean air into the oil fill pipe. Then connect a PCV valve between the stock crankcase opening and the balance tube. No orifice needed or wanted. Now you will have a positive flow thru the engine instead of having a road draft tube type system with the orifice. If you only have 1 opening for the clean air to go in and the blow by to come out then it is a road draft type system.
That's a great idea and I'll definitely do something like that. Thank you, and my garage floor thanks you too!

Sean

Return to “Corvair Talk”