Heater hose source

All Models and Years
Wittsend

Re: Heater hose source

Post by Wittsend »

LOL, with those hose/shipping prices it offsets the higher cost of living in California and (with minor discomfort) allows going without a heater. ::-):

Are you guys talking about the hose from the engine shroud to the intake side of the fan, or the smaller hose that runs from the fan (thru the rockers) to the dash? Is there not some corrugated aluminum hose that could be used? 8ft. of 4" dryer hose in that design only cost about $20. Would corrosion/flexing be an issue with corrugated Aluminum?
'61 Lakewood in a coma for 50 years - now has a pulse
cnicol

Re: Heater hose source + New related question

Post by cnicol »

Jim B wrote: "Since I don't need any today I hope to get updated reports on the two kinds.
hosewarehouse on flexibility and ease of putting on the ducts.
whiteheadindustrial on if it holds up to the temperature."

Craig replies: I will chime in on Whitehead Industrial: I've had it on my '65 110PG Monza for several years and it still looks like new so no reaction to engine heat. Installation on the nozzles is easy: it slides right on. Installation in the hangers is harder- you have to spread the hanger where it's spot welded. This is a reversible mod as I recall. I'll be installing another set from my 25' purchase onto my current Sprint resto and I'll pay more attention.

NEW RELATED TOPIC
What are substitutes for the 4x6 LM oval duct at the heater box outlet? Clarks wants $48 + shipping (Call it $60) for the short 9"/10" hose segment. Is it as simple as 5" diameter hose squashed to 4x6?
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
Vairone

Post by Vairone »

66vairguy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:30 am Yes a few years ago shippers raised the rates on "big and bulky" items.
All shippers have what is called "dimensional weight" to price what they will charge the shipper to ship the package. Think of it as the cost of the space on the truck. A 34x17x15 box of packing peanuts that weights 12 lbs has a dimensional weight of 63 lbs. You will pay the rate of a 63 lbs box to ship that 12 lbs of foam peanuts.
66vairguy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:30 am The other issue is UPS decided to stop shipping for "smaller" customers (as Clark's discovered) that resulted in less competition.
Not true. UPS will ship for a customer that ships one package a month. They dont care as long as the customer is paying the monthly pick up service fee UPS will stop by and pick up the package. If you dont want to pay the monthly service fee, then you pay a service fee when the package is picked up.

Clark's switched to FedEx because they got a better shipping rate with FedEx. That is the only reason. They pay less to ship a package with FedEx. There is plenty of competition in the shipping business. If not, Clark's wouldnt have the option to switch to FedEx to get better rates.
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

5 years on the heater hoses I made from the hose I bought from Hose Warehouse. No sign of any deterioration yet. They even withstood an engine overheat, due to failure of one of those "great" clarks fan belts.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Vairone wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:58 am
66vairguy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:30 am The other issue is UPS decided to stop shipping for "smaller" customers (as Clark's discovered) that resulted in less competition.
Not true. UPS will ship for a customer that ships one package a month. They dont care as long as the customer is paying the monthly pick up service fee UPS will stop by and pick up the package. If you dont want to pay the monthly service fee, then you pay a service fee when the package is picked up.

Clark's switched to FedEx because they got a better shipping rate with FedEx. That is the only reason. They pay less to ship a package with FedEx. There is plenty of competition in the shipping business. If not, Clark's wouldnt have the option to switch to FedEx to get better rates.
Not sure were you get your facts from, but WSJ did an article a few years back about UPS deciding to drop "less profitable small shippers" and focus resources on the larger shippers. I suppose if a low volume shipper wants to spend a lot of extra money with UPS they can, but it seems like a poor business practice. BTW - Clark's sent out an email saying that UPS was "dropping them", meaning they would have to ship items at a higher rate. Fed Ex agreed to sign a contract with Clark's that was as a better deal, but UPS forced the issue.

Nothing against UPS as they decided the change worked better for their future - time will tell.
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

NEW RELATED TOPIC
What are substitutes for the 4x6 LM oval duct at the heater box outlet? Clarks wants $48 + shipping (Call it $60) for the short 9"/10" hose segment. Is it as simple as 5" diameter hose squashed to 4x6?
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

I'll ask again. Is the stuff from hosewarehouse big enough on the end to slip on the ducts easily?
Is it fairly flexible?
The hose I'm working through now is a little small and hard to get on the ducts. That's what makes the stuff from whitehead industrial sound good to me.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

I had no issues installing their hoses on my cars.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

Good deal, it sounds like either one will work. Thanks.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
kurtl42799

Post by kurtl42799 »

Hi! Just purchased my 66 Corvair Corsa this December and am sourcing hoses to replace the old ones which are tearing or are torn. I just bought these 4" silicone hoses on ebay that are lined with fiberglass cloth. These should last forever as silicone can typically withstand 450-500F continuously. I have not tried to fit them yet however.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/355366529885

They seem very nice but are perhaps a little stiff.

My question: Does anyone have a source for the oval hoses other than Clark's? Has anyone ovalized a round hose and got it to work? If so, what diameter hose is equivalent? Thanks.

-Kurt
jimc

Post by jimc »

I googled industrial air supply large diameter hose and found a black EPDM hose that matched stock hose. It was free shipping and one, 8-10’ section was cheaper than Clark’s

The advantage of this EPDM hose is that it has a plastic internal matrix NOT wire so if hose w/wire matrix drags on axle it will not act as a lathe and cut thru it.

I cut to minimal length and used standard heater hose clamp.

Since it is a rubber based product I was concerned of a rubber smell when blower motor was used and that was NOT the case and after a few days any ordor was gone.

Best of luck.
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

Do you have a link, so we can see the specs on the hose?
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”