Grease Those Carb Gaskets

All Models and Years
erco

Grease Those Carb Gaskets

Post by erco »

Luke AKA Thunderhead289 and maker of the "Carb Cheater", shares an interesting "old timers" trick at 11:00 in the video below. Namely, greasing carburetor gaskets to make them non-stick and reusable. Never heard that before, but he's a capable motorhead. Worth a try since we have 2 or 4 carbs.

jimbrandberg

Re: Grease Those Carb Gaskets

Post by jimbrandberg »

I like to use thin gaskets under and over the insulator block and I use Syl-Glyde grease on them.
Jim Brandberg
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

I usually do not use the thin gaskets, just the insulator block like GM did. 90% of the time it works fine. I use no grease or other sealer on the insulators, nor if I use the thin gaskets. No harm in using grease of you wish, though. :tu:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
Wittsend

Post by Wittsend »

I use a THIN coat of Hylomar.
'61 Lakewood in a coma for 50 years - now has a pulse
m37aswell

Post by m37aswell »

Sometimes a nice thin coat of anti-seize works great on stuff that you might have to pull apart later.
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

I had to look up Hylomar. Looks like there's red and blue with blue maybe being more common. Looks like it was a Rolls Royce thing. What else do you use it on?
Jim Brandberg
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Hylomar was the "go to" in all my Land Rover manuals. Back then, it was special order on this side of the pond (I never had, or used any). I think it was more of a Permatex type sealer though. Never thought about greasing the gaskets. Maybe if I pull my carbs back off to install perimeter tins. Dennis
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

I have greased the internal carb gaskets for years. They don't stick and if you just need to pull the carb top you can reuse the gasket. After a while it will still wear out from being taken on and off but it still won't be stuck. If I put gaskets on the insulators I would grease them also but I just make sure they are flat.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
Wittsend

Post by Wittsend »

Yes, Hylomar blue is what I used. I forgot where I got it. I buy car stuff all the time (pennies on the dollar) whether I need it or not knowing some day..., I probably will. I know a lot of people assemble their crank cases dry but I used a very thin coat of Hylomar on those few areas where a sealer would be applicable. The Rolls Royce/Hylomar connection is I believe more with their aircraft engine division than cars.
'61 Lakewood in a coma for 50 years - now has a pulse

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”