ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP CONVERSION IDEAS & SUGGESTIONS

Need to know how? Want to show how?
KenHenry

Re: ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP CONVERSION IDEAS & SUGGESTIONS

Post by KenHenry »

2LZ wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:27 am My pump setup is on its way from Clark's (basic kit, fuel pump plate, plus install kit). Obviously, pumps would rather push than pull, but I'm looking for the EASIEST spot to install it, like in the engine compartment. I saw a vid of a guy who installed one in the incoming line and it worked fine for his application. Also, our country roads here completely suck. I'd rather not have it underneath the car, if possible. Anyone mounted the e-pump assy in the engine compartment on the incoming line on the driver side???
Before switching to EFI in my 65 coupe, I ran carbs with an electric fuel pump mounted to the horse collar (transaxle crossmember) for many years with no problems. I used a relay with a timer that required tach input to stay active. I think that keeping the pump low(ish) reduces strain on it. Ken
1965 Corvair Corsa coupe
Rochester, NY USA
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

Dennis66 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:02 am
Lane66Monza wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:43 pm Good response, Frank.

I have to assume the manufacturers wasted a lot of money on inertia switches and wiring for a long time adding something that was not needed or government mandated.
I have to disagree with this. When the switch was made to electric fuel pumps that would keep pumping fuel whether the engine was running or not, SAFETY was the consideration for a shut down system (to my knowledge, the Chevy Vega was one of the first, if not he actual first. When it comes to EFI and pressures in the area of 30-40 PSI, a fuel leak becomes a flamethrower, not just a fire.
As far as automatic transmissions, power windows etc, Those are options driven by consumer desire and not wasted mney or government mandates. I will agree that all the computer nonsense like micro processers on power windows are completely unnecessary. Dennis
Dennis, I wrote the response in tongue in cheek jest. SARCASM to close out discussion. I don't believe any of what I wrote, but some people will.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Lane66Monza wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:22 am Here is my schematic of how I wired in my fuel pump and its controls again. The relay power indicator and inertia switch are located on the wall next to the engine lid's left hinge. Low oil pressure switch is mounted to replace the original switch with a 45 degree adapter. 3 position prime switch is located under dash above park brake handle, so can I operate switch and leave other hand free to operate key. I had to make a new bracket to hold the prime switch, along with the park brake handle on light and the brake system loss of pressure light. If you need a photo of that install, let me know.

I also have another hidden switch that cuts power to the entire pump circuit located under dash, where it can't be found easily. I don't show that one on the schematic. Personal option you have to figure out and locate. Don't make it easy like the prime switch.

Regarding water proof connectors, here are 2 options. The use of the kit takes some learning of how to do them right, but it eliminates extra splices. Remember you have to use same gauge wire for the ground as the power. 14 gauge minimum. I was able to make the kit components work on the 14 gauge wires.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176253453664?_ ... MSQEZR4AE7

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... s&_sacat=0

20181218_162149.jpg

Monza 4 Dr Electric Fuel Pump Wiring Diagram.jpg
Thank you, Lane66Monza. Excellent info.
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

No problem. Yet you wouldn't believe the people who want to take out safety stuff because "it could become a problem". I think back to my younger, more stupid self and how many seat belts I removed from cars (got bounced from driver side to passenger side of my '67 500 when it got totalled) :doh: Dennis
PDickey

Post by PDickey »

Has anyone tried using the currently available mechanical pump, which only fits the '60-'61 engine and cutting off 1/4" of the rod to make it work on a '62 and later car?
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Dennis66 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:32 am No problem. Yet you wouldn't believe the people who want to take out safety stuff because "it could become a problem". I think back to my younger, more stupid self and how many seat belts I removed from cars (got bounced from driver side to passenger side of my '67 500 when it got totalled) :doh: Dennis
When I was a kid in an old car WITHOUT seat belts I got hit bad. After I recovered I put seat belts in every car I drove. It's paid off a few times.

I remember the "myth" of getting trapped in a car by seat belts during a roll over. Yet many accident deaths involve being "ejected" from the car as it rolls over due to NOT wearing a seat belt.

The best economics book I ever read was how human "irrational" thinking results in poor decisions.

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”