1966 Corsa Convertible

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
JohnDB

Re: 1966 Corsa Convertible

Post by JohnDB »

It's been cold and I've been putting off dealing with an oil leak, but today I decided to take the next step. The leak I'm trying to solve is pretty high up it seems, the engine number area gets covered in oil. I've replaced the alternator mount and gasket previously, several times in fact, and today I went after the oil cooler seals. This is about the last step before I rebuild a rear housing and swap it over. I pulled the alternator for some extra working room, and there was oil between the alternator and the mount, hard to see in the picture:
IMG_5156.jpeg
Some more stuff out of the way:
IMG_5157.jpeg
And it's out:
IMG_5158.jpeg
IMG_5159.jpeg
I think some of the oil on the outside of the cooler was from the removal process, but it looks like it might have been leaking some. Seals were very hard.

All cleaned up and ready to go back in:
IMG_5161.jpeg
IMG_5162.jpeg
Everything back in place, aside from a clean oil cooler it looks like nothing happened:
IMG_5165.jpeg
I used the Viton seals from Clark's and a tiny little bit of Permatex #2 to keep them in place while I put the cooler back in. Hopefully the weather is good tomorrow and I can take a test drive.
John
1966 Corsa Convertible
JohnDB

Post by JohnDB »

It's a nice, sunny day in PA today, and I was able to get about 50 miles on the Corsa today. I'm not ready to call this one solved, but the leak seems to be very much improved so far. I did a mix of local and highway, and while at the grocery store for about 45 minutes I didn't even mark my spot! We'll see how in goes in the next few weeks.
IMG_5168.jpeg
John
1966 Corsa Convertible
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

I like your method of measuring (didn’t mark its spot).

It appears I was pretty successful with my last round of oil leak fixes. First photo was accumulated drips from Fall 2022 until June 2023. Second photo is accumulated drips from August 2023 to present (yes, I am cheap enough to cover the only wet spot on an otherwise good piece of cardboard last August).

Still a bit of a mystery where the oil is going but it is manageable so I’m living with it for now.
Attachments
IMG_3409.jpeg
IMG_3967.jpeg
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Looked like mine used to look.
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
Project65

Post by Project65 »

Hey, fingers crossed John. Hoping you got that leak solved. Yeah, we’ve had some great weather up here in NW PA also. Car is looking great!
John
1965 Monza Sedan “The Phoenix”. Rebuild in Progress.
JohnDB

Post by JohnDB »

I've been able to put about 200 miles on the car in the past weeks despite the lousy weather. So far things are still looking good and I've even put down a fresh piece of cardboard that seems to be staying clean!
IMG_5191.jpeg
I'm also going to need a set of tires soon, and somehow that turned into looking for different wheels (as it often does). I've always liked the Firebird GTA wheels and found a nice set of replicas on Craigslist for a great price. Hopefully I can get some tires next week and get them swapped over!
IMG_5197.jpeg
Anyone looking for a set of 15x7 Z28 wheels?
John
1966 Corsa Convertible
JohnDB

Post by JohnDB »

I was able to get tires mounted this morning, and even though it has been pouring rain all day, I had to get the new wheels on the car. The wheels have the “standard” GTA offsets and I put the rears on the front and the fronts on the rear, all with 205/55/16. I’ve seen online where some folks are running a 225 in the rear, but I didn’t want to take a chance with having to roll fender lips. So far I’m really happy with the new look! Terrible stuck in the garage picture:
IMG_5215.jpeg
Hopefully it dries up a bit tomorrow and I can put some miles on!
John
1966 Corsa Convertible
JohnDB

Post by JohnDB »

Got out this morning and it drives well with the new wheels and tires. Speedo is slow by 1 or 2 mph compared to gps, I can live with that. Looks good out in the sun!
IMG_5216.jpeg
John
1966 Corsa Convertible
Project65

Post by Project65 »

Hey John. Glad to see that you’ve fixed the oil leak and that you’ve scored a nice set of wheels! Great to see your continuous improvement efforts. How’s the ride and handling with the new wheels and tires?
John
1965 Monza Sedan “The Phoenix”. Rebuild in Progress.
JohnDB

Post by JohnDB »

The weather was pretty decent today, so I drove the Corsa to work, ends up being about 60 miles round trip. Wheels and tires seem perfectly happy on side roads and the turnpike, no issues and the ride is pretty much the same as with the 195/60/15 I was previously running. Need to re-torque all the wheels but otherwise it's all good!
IMG_5219.jpeg
John
1966 Corsa Convertible
KenHenry

Post by KenHenry »

Wow, that looks great, and the wheels look right at home in my opinion! Ken
1965 Corvair Corsa coupe
Rochester, NY USA
JohnDB

Post by JohnDB »

Excellent weather in PA over the past few days, so it only made sense to drive the Corsa to work today. Had a nice drive into work, a nice run for lunch, and it all was looking good on the way home until the GEN/FAN light came on. Luckily I was on the PA Turnpike and there was a nice wide spot to pull over and shutdown. I wasn't too surprised when I opened the engine lid:
IMG_5226.jpeg
Well, maybe not surprised that the belt was off, but a little surprised that the belt was broken like that and not just thrown.

I don't think this one will make a good spare any more:
IMG_5227.jpeg
I was able to swap a spare belt on in about 15 minutes and was back on the road. The broken belt had been off a few times and re-tensioned after being reinstalled a few times, not sure if that was what caused it to come apart or not. Need to see what new 3V560 belts I have in the garage, the spare on there now is one of the wider, incorrect, part-store belts (but it still got me home no problem).
John
1966 Corsa Convertible
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

Bummer on the belt but good you recognized what was happening and had a spare to put on. I just got some gates belts as spares but luckily still running the one that came on the car.

Hopefully see you in Gettysburg in May.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
JohnDB

Post by JohnDB »

I need to put a pair of gloves in my trunk - when I put the spare belt back in, was a bit warm trying the get the belt tensioned.

I just saw the details a few days ago about the Corvair Ranch open house in May, we're planning to attend. I need to call or send an email and see if they will pull some parts for me ahead, or if we can pull items while we are there. Not sure which car we'll bring yet, but if the weather is good it could be both!
John
1966 Corsa Convertible
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

JohnDB wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:14 pm I need to put a pair of gloves in my trunk - when I put the spare belt back in, was a bit warm trying the get the belt tensioned.

I just saw the details a few days ago about the Corvair Ranch open house in May, we're planning to attend. I need to call or send an email and see if they will pull some parts for me ahead, or if we can pull items while we are there. Not sure which car we'll bring yet, but if the weather is good it could be both!
I will agree that working on a warm Corvair engine when on the side of a roadway can be a bit uncomfortable. I have had to do that in the past couple of years to replace a Fuel Pump that had been replaced only a few month's earlier....Yes it was a warm job too... In addition to carrying tools and an extra fan belt, I have started carrying an extra fuel pump and oil pressure sending unit in any Corvair I am driving.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

JohnDB wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:14 pm I need to put a pair of gloves in my trunk - when I put the spare belt back in, was a bit warm trying the get the belt tensioned.

A couple of us from Northern NJ are planning to go to Open House as well, hopefully see you there.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”