Tag Color Code vs Actual Color

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
2LZ

Tag Color Code vs Actual Color

Post by 2LZ »

I'm flummoxed. The tag on my 1965 Corvair Corsa has a "P-P" code. Meaning Evening Orchid upper and lower.
My question is, can a dealer custom order a paint color for a customer (like my dad used to dealer order all his cars back then to his liking), and have it painted a specific color, but the body tag still shows what color that specific car was "designated to be"?
I find NO indication that this car was ever Evening Orchid, anywhere. It doesn't matter what I remove from the exterior or interior of the car. It's black down to the metal, other than the factory primer. Corvair Guru's???? :dontknow:
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
cnicol

Re: Tag Color Code vs Actual Color

Post by cnicol »

The Corvair I had with COPO paint had the actual COPO paint color stamped in the tag.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

One of two things is possible...

When the car was painted, it is possible that the owner at the time made the effort to completely strip paint from all the surfaces.

The other possibility is that the trim tag has been replaced to make it appear than a 500 or Monza was assembled with CORSA trim.

In the mid '80's when I bought my '66 Mid Engine coupe, it had been stripped to bare metal including in the door jambs and in the weatherstrip channels under the hood & trunk although I don;t recall if the under side of the hood & trunk lids had been stripped.

My current LOS '65 Monza coupe is currently Blue with a White Interior but was originally Yellow with a Black Interior.
This car was a rolling project when I purchased it and been painted Blue in the door jambs and in the weatherstrip channels.
While cleaning the undercarriage of the car after removing the suspension, I scraped and cleaned portions of the wheel wells to paint them. After the undercoating was gone, it was clear that the car had indeed been yellow at one time.

IF you are still curious and want to find out what the original color of your car was, you could look for the "Hidden V.I.N." on the passenger's side front frame rail which might require scraping that area in order to see it.
This would accomplish two things, first to verify what color the car was and second to verify the V.I.N. tag matches the Hidden Vin Stamped on the frame rail.
Attachments
Front Wheel Well
Front Wheel Well
Rear Wheel Well
Rear Wheel Well
Front Suspension going back in.
Front Suspension going back in.
Rear Suspension going back in.
Rear Suspension going back in.
This photo came from one of the Corvair Forums years ago.
This is what the Hidden V.I.N. on my blue car looked like after the crossmember was removed.
This is what the Hidden V.I.N. on my blue car looked like after the crossmember was removed.
Last edited by caraholic4life on Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
isucorvair

Post by isucorvair »

Let's see a pic of the body tag. Are you certain it has not been swapped?
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

isucorvair wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:38 am Let's see a pic of the body tag. Are you certain it has not been swapped?
Here's the Vin and body tag.
Attachments
Tag.jpg
Vin.jpg
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

Here are pictures of the V.I.N. and Trim Tags from my Blue LOS '65 Monza Coupe and my Red WRN '65 Monza Convertible.
Note the rivets holding the tag in place on these plates.
Attachments
1965 LOS built Monza Coupe
1965 WRN built Monza Convertible
1965 WRN built Monza Convertible
10965 WRN built Monza Convertible
10965 WRN built Monza Convertible
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

I'll have to check out the hidden VIN. If someone did a tag swap, they did a seriously good job reproducing every option listed on the body tag. It's all there including am/fm w/ rear speaker, tinted glass all around, etc.....
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

I doubt your car is a tag-swap - the rivets look perfect plus, as you note, the options are all there.
Original acrylic-lacquer Evening Orchid was a paint color that didn't last when exposed to sun. Faded fast and then failed. Many were repainted early in their life. It' weird that you're not finding any evidence of original paint. Maybe you'll find some evidence someday.

As for my '66, there's not much evidence of original red paint left either; my car had a very thorough repaint.
20190607_170537.jpg
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Another part to buy. The rubber piece that goes in the rear side window seat.
Notice the black to primer. No Evening Orchid. If anyone can help out with a link on this part, awesome!
Attachments
rear window.jpg
rcavictor

Post by rcavictor »

Rob

- Cornucopia of Corvairs
Ocklawaha FL
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

rcavictor wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:14 am Door Pillar Rubber Flap https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C7832
Door Pillar Rubber Flap screws https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/search ... arch=C6915
Awesome. Thank you.

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”