Programmable Timing - the 3D approach

Need to know how? Want to show how?
kmart356

Programmable Timing - the 3D approach

Post by kmart356 »

The quest for improved timing for the Spyder engine led me to have a custom distributor built for me by Ken Hand. That worked well with a Dale A/R until I started pushing for higher boost levels. Once the Mikuni HSR45 was installed and tuned, the boost performance just kept getting better and better and then programmable timing became part of the mix.

There are a few timing boxes that allow for very flexible timing control but the one I have focused on is the CB Performance Black Box. CCF topic for background can be found here: Turbo Ignition Timing – Optimizing Performance with 3D Timing

Having recently completed an engine rebuild, the timing needs to be revised to take advantage of the Mikuni flowing through 140heads. This is the first revision that will be used for initial break-in and testing. The "idealized" 140PG timing is shown on the left with the Black Box Turbo Timing on the right. Turbo graph shown for boost up to 9.4psi (for clarity) but the timing table used to generate graph extends out to 20psi. Water-Methanol is used to keep things cool :cool:
140pg vs Turbo Timing graphs.jpg
Ken
'62 Spyder. '63 Monza.
toms73novass

Re: Programmable Timing - the 3D approach

Post by toms73novass »

Kewl stuff. :neener: :goodpost:
1962 700 Wagon
1963 Spyder convertable
1965 Monza
1967 UltraVan 211
chris

Post by chris »

That is cool Ken, thanks for sharing!
kmart356

Post by kmart356 »

After reading a couple of threads on timing and "target AFRs" there was a suggestion that with programmable timing you could make the vacuum advance have different ramp rate. The objective is to provide more vacuum advance during idle - low rpm range and to provide less advance in the higher RPM range. This is what that looks like. Vacuum advance does not need to be linear either! This is for my turbo engine.
Vacuum Advance.jpg
Nearest (lower) line on graph. Base timing is 18* with 10* advance @ -13inHg. Idle vacuum is just at -16inHg at 1000rpm.
Farthest (upper) line on graph. High end timing is 31* @ 4000rpm and up. Vacuum advance is 5* in that region.
This approach prevents those dreaded "rattles" during acceleration from cruise to WOT for the most part.
Ken
'62 Spyder. '63 Monza.
Nashfan

Post by Nashfan »

Barefiece wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:45 pm Have you considered the suggestion of adjusting the vacuum advance ramp rate with programmable timing to provide more vacuum advance during idle and low RPM, and less advance in the higher RPM range for your turbo engine?
Thats what Ken did! it works very well. I do a version of this on mine and its amazing how snappy it is compared to the stock turbo timing!
manvair

Post by manvair »

Don't be fooled- that post was written by a bot so that they could insert a link into the signature line.
1965 Monza vert
Central VA
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

manvair wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:53 am Don't be fooled- that post was written by a bot so that they could insert a link into the signature line.
FYI...manvair is talking about the new member "Barefiece" and I just deleted their signature that contained a commercial link. There is a slim chance it is a legit Corvair person but they'll get once more chance to contribute before account deletion.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
kmart356

Post by kmart356 »

Thanks for the cleanup @azdave!

After some additional consideration, I decided to use a more conservative timing scheme until the fresh build has a few more miles on it.

This one is patterned after the custom distributor with vacuum advance + Safeguard for boost retard function. That dizzy+Safeguard combo worked pretty well so this timing map should be a good start until i have confirmed the jetting on the Mikuni as well as water-methanol injection performance.
2024 baseline timing map.jpg
Ken
'62 Spyder. '63 Monza.
Nashfan

Post by Nashfan »

Just for "kicks and grins", maybe you could post the timing curve on my engine, AKA wildchild?
If you still have it. I dont.
kmart356

Post by kmart356 »

Nashfan wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:02 am Just for "kicks and grins"...
... a thing of beauty to behold!!!
nashfan _wildchild_ map.jpg
Ken
'62 Spyder. '63 Monza.

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”