Torque converter seal and electrical question

All Models and Years
mow4alivn

Torque converter seal and electrical question

Post by mow4alivn »

Have a 1963 monza convertilbe with automatic trans never got to drive it yet, as I just got the motor started. But when I did get it started I noticed trans fluid pretty much a steady steam running out the bell housing. I'm figuring it's a torque converter seal bad or as some might say a pump seal. I contacted our local O'reillys they could not find the converter seal in their listings. Anyone know a part number for this seal? Has been sitting several yrs so I'm hoping it just dried out and just needs replacing.

Also for some reason I can't get electric (juice) to my fuse box for the rear park/brake lights. If I jump a known hot wire to the fuse panel that feeds juice to the taillights they do come on along with the brake lights work as well. Near as I can tell the headlight switch is suppose to feed juice to that particular fuse when you pull the headlight switch on. Got any ideas?
Terry
1963 Monza 900 Conv.
Dieterich IL
Motornoggin
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Torque converter seal and electrical question

Post by Motornoggin »

I can't rememebr if the Corvair PG is aluminum or cast iron. If aluminum then use National # 759021. If cast iron, then use 6712NA.

I checked stock in my O'Reilly and they have it, so yours should as well.

Check fitment before you go farther, but these seals fit pretty much all PG's that I can see. I looked up several years and makes that use these transmissions.
mow4alivn

Post by mow4alivn »

Thanks for the info Motornoggin, our O'reillys has both seals on hand also. Now to figure out how to remove the engine.
For everyone I did figure out my wiring problem bad connection on back side of fuse box fixed it now.
Terry
1963 Monza 900 Conv.
Dieterich IL
Motornoggin
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Motornoggin »

I can't imagine the torque converter hub being different on a Corvair than any other car with a PG. Heck, I think most are the same with TH350/TH400/700R4 etc...
chance1

Post by chance1 »

so if you have the motor out and even though the TQ hub seals looks good should it be replaced anyway ?
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Better to do it now than to remove the engine again. Mine leaked & I had a Corvair tranny guy check the trans & converter & ended up with a new converter. It doesn't leak now. The guy said the hub on the old converter was worn to much & this guy has been doing Corvairs since the 60's. Get your seals from a good supplier, Clark's would be my suggestion. :my02:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I would also suggest changing the front main crank seal, and the oil pan and bellhousing gaskets (needed to change the front crank seal) as well while the engine is out and separated. Replacing these items may save you from pulling the engine again later.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”