speedometer

All Models and Years
piddler

speedometer

Post by piddler »

I am almost ashamed to ask this question. Driving down the road a few days ago and the speedometer quit. I pulled the end cap on the wheel and everything seemed to be in place. The cap is new and I could not pull the cable out of the sheath. So where should I look next?

Thanks, Pete
m37aswell

Re: speedometer

Post by m37aswell »

That doesn't mean the cable is not possibly broken. Pull the cable off of the speedo and let it hang there and drive the car and see if it spins.
piddler

Post by piddler »

Had time to do some checking today. I used a drill to turn the cable at the wheel and the speedometer worked. I installed a new cover/cap recently when I changed the wheel bearings. This is probably a simple fix so what am I missing?

Thanks, Pete
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

piddler wrote: » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:12 pm

Had time to do some checking today. I used a drill to turn the cable at the wheel and the speedometer worked. I installed a new cover/cap recently when I changed the wheel bearings. This is probably a simple fix so what am I missing?
The special grease cap on the left (driver's side) contains a plastic drive component that engages the speedometer cable. If you replaced the grease cap with a standard grease cap that is missing the cable drive connector, the speedometer cable would not have anything to drive it when the wheel is rotating.

:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... w_page=132

Part number C139R: 65-69 REPRO LEFT WHEEL BEARING CAP * *WITH SPEEDO DRIVE SPINDLE (CARS ONLY)

Weight: 0 lbs 4 oz
Catalog Page(s): 132,152
Price: $ 30.35

Front Suspension Speedometer Drive
Front Suspension Speedometer Drive

:chevy:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - Speedometer Cable.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - Speedometer Cable
(274.76 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 3 - FRONT SUSPENSION.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 3 - FRONT SUSPENSION (See Page 3-5)
(4.67 MiB) Downloaded 39 times
Last edited by bbodie52 on Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Should be as simple as one square end of the cable plugs into the hub dust cap and the other end, which has a small washer or stop (?) plugs into the speedometer. The cable should be pulled, wiped clean, and lubed with white lithium grease (I always used spray on). Dennis
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Back in the old days (when our cars were new) speedometer lube was graphite based. Now I see white Lithium used. Any problems with this in cold weather? :think: :jack_o_lantern:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
piddler

Post by piddler »

Thanks for the responses. I did order and installed the correct cap. There is what appears to be a "stop" on the cable. It looks like a small swelling or ball on the cable just behind the square end of the cable. I will take a closer look at the end of the cable and try to take a picture when I can get back to the car.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Maybe the cable is in backwards? I recall a stop (washer or whatever) on the SPEEDOMETER end. You pulled and installed the cable from the top. Dennis
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Right, restraint is at upper end of cable. Counteracts gravity. Both ends of cable are square. :jack_o_lantern: :police_car: :spider: :snowflake:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
erco

Post by erco »

Did you change the speedo cable? I got a new one that was too short to engage the wheel drive, Clark's replaced it
piddler

Post by piddler »

I have not changed the cable. I removed the cap and turned the cable with a drill and the speedo worked. I replaced the cap when I replaced the wheel bearings.

Thanks
erco

Post by erco »

BTW Brad often suggests using a Garmin GPS with MPH display as an alternative for people with bad or incorrect speedometers. Perfectly valid solution for $50+. The $10 option shown below is a simple digital GPS speedometer. I ordered one to try, not here yet. They are all over Ebay, Amazon and AliExpress, including a pretty cool HUD version that reflects off your windshield, also $10. But all the HUD types and many others are calibrated ONLY in KPH, not MPH, so double check before ordering. IOW, you can't switch between KPH and MPH in many cases.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568059 ... pt=glo2usa
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314772932209
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

erco wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:51 am BTW Brad often suggests using a Garmin GPS with MPH display as an alternative for people with bad or incorrect speedometers. Perfectly valid solution for $50+. The $10 option shown below is a simple digital GPS speedometer. I ordered one to try, not here yet. They are all over Ebay, Amazon and AliExpress, including a pretty cool HUD version that reflects off your windshield, also $10. But all the HUD types and many others are calibrated ONLY in KPH, not MPH, so double check before ordering. IOW, you can't switch between KPH and MPH in many cases.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568059 ... pt=glo2usa
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314772932209
The GPS speedometer picture indicates the GPS antenna may be separate. That is important in a Corvair with a steel dash board. A buddy has a V8 Crown Corvair and years ago he installed a GPS reciever to drive his existing pulse electric speedometer. Worked great, but he had to mount the antenna box on TOP board to pick up the satellite signals.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

erco wrote: wrote: ↑Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:51 pm
BTW Brad often suggests using a Garmin GPS with MPH display as an alternative for people with bad or incorrect speedometers. Perfectly valid solution for $50+.

ImageImageImageImage
The top stack of devices and objects represents
  • AAA TripTik Travel Guide/Directions
  • Yellow Pages (Local)
  • Digital Clock
  • Digital Speedometer

The Garmin GPS fulfills all of these functions. It provides
  • Detailed turn-by-turn travel instructions, plus an instant Alt route if you miss your turn.
  • A rapid local search for services, hospitals, restaurants, gas stations, shopping, etc.
  • Accurate digital current time and calculated arrival time and distance.
  • Digital Speedometer and current Speed Limit

Plus, most offer hands-free cell phone interface via Bluetooth, and digital voice instructions (turn by turn) and voice command or touch screen interface. The GPS is mounted above the dashboard, on top or attached to the windshield via a suction cup device. Includes battery operation or DC power via the cigarette lighter. GPS unit can be easily moved between different vehicles for use in all of your cars, or can be taken with you on commercial flights for local support if you rent/borrow a car in another location. The cigarette lighter power tap I use with my GPS is a power switch with a digital voltmeter display, which provides charging system/battery status with a voltmeter that many cars do not have built-in to their instrument panel.

I find this single add-on useful in many ways that only are included in some modern vehicles. When I am in an unfamiliar location and need gas or want to get something to eat, the GPS instantly provides me with a list of shops or stores in many categories, and then gives me a route onscreen to guide to my choice — all without having to make frequent stops to check a paper map. It does not block my view through the windshield and makes travel easy, without the distractions and aggravation usually encountered when trying to "rubberneck" while looking for street names or building/house numbers in an unfamiliar area.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
piddler

Post by piddler »

I have a GPS and also a speedometer app on my phone but would really like to get the speedometer working. Is it common for the receptacle in the newer caps to become distorted? I am pretty sure that the cable is connected to the speedometer since it works with the drill.
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

Did you remove the new cap and make sure the cable recepticale is secure in the cap? That includes the receptacle is in the cap and does not spin in the cap by itself. I have seen where you took it off to verify this one item. New does not mean it is correctly manuafactured.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”