Lm Brake Drums

All Models and Years
NewCorvairFan

Lm Brake Drums

Post by NewCorvairFan »

The rear drums on my 67 WILL NOT come off. I am certain that this is the reason that my rear axles won't spin. I've sprayed penetrating fluid, I've hit on it with a hammer for hours upon hours, I've blasted it with a blowtorch, nothing works. Is there any other way to get them off? (Besides buying a break remover tool)
1967 Monza Convertible 4 speed
1982 Cadillac Eldorado Touring
66vairguy

Re: Lm Brake Drums

Post by 66vairguy »

Do the rear drums/wheels turn? If not the drums are stuck to the brake shoes. I usually have to back off the brake shoe adjustment a lot so the drums turn freely.

If the drum is stuck to the axle flange then that can be a challenge. NEVER USE A STEEL HAMMER to pound on a brake drum!! I use a deadblow plastic hammer, or a brass/bronze hammer. Heat can help, but it has to be applied with great care. Several heat cool cycles may be needed so the expansion and contraction breaks the corrosion bond.

BTW --- the brake drums can be BENT if not removed carefully.

That's all I've got.
NewCorvairFan

Post by NewCorvairFan »

Thanks, we've about got it now. I will need to replace both drums though. I'll post pics once they are off.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Old school method.Put the wheels back on. Leave the lug nuts a little loose. Drive down your driveway and slam on the brakes I have also found opening the bleeder screw helps before you start hammering away at the drum.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

His won't be driving any time soon. He has a very ambitious project. It will be quite the accomplishment when he is done. Much like "Project 65". Dennis
NewCorvairFan

Post by NewCorvairFan »

I guess it'll come off in pieces
Attachments
Screenshot_20231011-174211_Gallery.jpg
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

WOW! Now that was on there. I work on an island. Some of my trucks, only a few years old, and I had to use a puller to remove the rims. Dennis
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

That oval shaped punched type circle at is at the top front. You could have knocked that in and bend it back and forth and taken it out. Then back the shoes off enough so that when you do hit the drum the shoes can break loose. But for now just don't damage the hub or studs.
1963 Corvair Monza Convertible 140 4 speed.
Colorado Springs :wave:
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

If the drum will not turn, that oval hole being at the top would not allow the bakes to be adjusted.

One thing not mentioned is grinding or cutting the heads of the "nails" that hold the shoes in place. That will sometimes allow the shoes to retract/loosen enough to allow the drum to turn/easier to remove. :wink: :spider:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
34nineteen

Post by 34nineteen »

Dennis66 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:10 pm His won't be driving any time soon. He has a very ambitious project. It will be quite the accomplishment when he is done. Much like "Project 65". Dennis
Hey ! Is that a (well deserved) dig at me ? Lol
:rolling:
1965 Corvair Monza 2 door 4 speed 110hp motor
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

I see your point Frank.
1963 Corvair Monza Convertible 140 4 speed.
Colorado Springs :wave:
NewCorvairFan

Post by NewCorvairFan »

Victory! We've about got the other side too. We've ordered some cheap roller tires and it should finally be off the trailer next weekend. Then the real work begins...
Attachments
Screenshot_20231012-165704_Gallery.jpg

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”