1962 Chevy Corvair w/ EJ25 Subaru / Volkswagen type1 engine.

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
JerseyArtform

1962 Chevy Corvair w/ EJ25 Subaru / Volkswagen type1 engine.

Post by JerseyArtform »

How’s it going everyone, This is my first post here but there will be plenty more to come because earlier this week I picked up a FREE 1962 Chevy Corvair Monza coupe. The next 2 days I followed it up by picking up a FREE Subaru EJ25 motor & then arranged to trade some light body work on an oldschool VW hood for a VW Type 1 transaxle with axles included. I’m currently waiting for a KENNEDY Subaru to VW adapter kit to install the engine.

I also have plans to paint the car & start installing an air ride suspension within the next 2 weeks.

Go follow along on YouTube and be sure to check out my 1955 Ford Customline build as well
Links below :tu:

Scott H
Site Admin

Re: 1962 Chevy Corvair w/ EJ25 Subaru / Volkswagen type1 engine.

Post by Scott H »

I’d definitely be interested in following this build!
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Sounds interesting, I know Matt Nall was able to hook a 5 speed Subaru transaxle to the Corvair engine, sounds like you are hooking a Subaru engine to a Corvair transaxle? You might try and install the entire Subaru power pack and retain the 5 speed transmission? :tu:
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Unless he went mid engine, the Subie power pack would be turning backwards. Sounds to me like he is mating Subie engine to VW transaxle and putting all in the Corvair. Dennis
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

I thought someone already did a Subie engine?

Looking forward to your build!
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
JerseyArtform

Post by JerseyArtform »

Scott H wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:31 pm I’d definitely be interested in following this build!
Ohh definitely keep an eye out, I’ve been doing endless research on how to do this as easy as possible and I’ve pretty much figured it out, I’ll be going full force once my adapter plate arrives. But that will give me just enough time to finish my 55’ Ford Customline body swap on to my BMW e39 this week.
davemotohead wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:02 am Sounds interesting, I know Matt Nall was able to hook a 5 speed Subaru transaxle to the Corvair engine, sounds like you are hooking a Subaru engine to a Corvair transaxle? You might try and install the entire Subaru power pack and retain the 5 speed transmission? :tu:
Ohh nice, yeah I haven’t been able to find anything on this swap in particular but I think I have seen that one.

For this swap I’ll be using the Subaru motor bolted up to a Kennedy adapter which will be bolted to a VW transaxle. And then I have a local shop that will be machining a set of custom axles I designed so that I can run the stock rear Corvair suspension without having to use any VW rear end part and should pretty much eliminate the outer axle sleeve from the VW transaxle
Dennis66 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:22 pm Unless he went mid engine, the Subie power pack would be turning backwards. Sounds to me like he is mating Subie engine to VW transaxle and putting all in the Corvair. Dennis
you are indeed correct sir!
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Sounds interesting. Pictures when you can make them. Dennis
JerseyArtform

Post by JerseyArtform »

Dennis66 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:18 pm Sounds interesting. Pictures when you can make them. Dennis
Ohh I’ll definitely post some photos and videos soon. I’m currently body swapping my 55’ Ford Customline onto a BMW E39 this week but I’ll be right back to the Corvair swap once I finish setting the body in place this weekend.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”