Help Decoding '65 140 HP Convertible Options On Tag?

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
65Monza140

Help Decoding '65 140 HP Convertible Options On Tag?

Post by 65Monza140 »

Hello!

I have a barn find: 1965 convertible with 140 HP engine, 4 speed, and positive traction (AD on differential and wheel spin confirms). Exterior is Tux Black, Interior is Black also. There are many options listed out to group 5 that I hope to understand...

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Richard
Attachments
'65 convertable body tag.jpeg
'65 convertable VIN.jpeg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Help Decoding '65 140 HP Convertible Options On Tag?

Post by bbodie52 »

Corvair Barn Find.jpg
VIN & Body Tag.jpg
Here is a breakdown of the information on the body tag you provided...
BODY TAG INFO:

05D
Body Build Date: 05 = May (1965) D = Fourth Week
The first two digits are numbers 01 through 12, indicating the month of manufacture. The letter is A-E, indicating the week of the month. If the letter is a "D" it indicates the fourth week of the month.

E
Interior paint codes: (Interior paint codes do not appear on Los Angeles built cars)
1965: A= Aqua B= Blue C= Saddle D= Red E= Black F= Fawn H= White/Aqua S= White/Black W= Slate

ST 65-10567 WRN 20085 BODY
Style: 65 = 1965 10567: 1 = Chevrolet, 05 = Monza, 67 = 2-Door Convertible 4-Passenger,
WRN = Willow Run, Michigan, Production Sequence No: 20085

1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 2-Door Convertible - 4 Passenger, Total Production: 26,466

TRim: 713- = BLACK (MONZA 10500 and CORSA 10700 SERIES — Bucket Front Seats)
This 3 digit code represents the interior color and seat type.

Paint: A-2 = BLACK "Tuxedo Black"
Lucite No. 88L, Rinshed-Mason No. A 946, Ditzler No. DDL 9300

Top color codes:
1965: 1 = white 2 = black 3(WRN) or 6(LA) = beige

Example — 1965 Corvair Monza Convertible in Tuxedo Black

ACC = Accessory line
When decoding ACC line on the Fisher body tags, be aware that body tags do not include any options that did not require any body modification be done by Fisher. Fisher was only concerned with items that required modifications during the assembly of the body. A good example is that you won’t find Telescopic column listed on the body tag. Although this is a major option, it did not require any special consideration during body assembly.

2L 3C 4PU 5W

GROUP 1
NONE

GROUP 2
L = RPO M20 — 4 Speed Manual Transmission

GROUP 3
C = RPO B70 — Padded Dash

GROUP 4
P = RPO Z01 — Convenience group (2 speed wipers, washers, day/night inside mirror)
U = RPO P19 — Lock, Spare Wheel

GROUP 5
W = RPO A49 Custom Deluxe Front Seatbelts (Chrome Buckles) with Retractors

VIN: 105675W270328

:chevy:
Attachments
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 26 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Brad did a great job breaking that out. A nice car.

Recently I meant someone with a convertible purchased from Michigan. Amazingly original, only appears to have been painted once. Rockers were as good as they get!!!! Apparently the original owner only drove it in the summer in Michigan!! It had a black interior and the fellow said the seats were HOT in S. Calif. I mentioned it must be a back east car since few in the south or west ordered a black interior convertible.

He can put in white seats as a black/white interior was available.

A lot of options on the 1965 models. I recall on the 66 models the padded dash and 2 speed wiper washer became standard.
65Monza140

Post by 65Monza140 »

Thank you both for the information! Brad you do a really nice job with the presentation of the information. It's like what I'd expect to see in slip covers at a car show!

I don't think I'll keep the interior all black, as it's an Arizona car now, and black sure does get hot here, as you say, '66 :wave: . While I am thinking I'll keep exterior original, I like the Clark's saddle colors for interior/top. I don't think I'll be in any shows, and saddle hides a lot of dirt the grand kids would track in. It is going to be the parade car for the grands, after all.... :wave:

Thank you both, again! The help is really appreciated. I can hardly wait to drive it, but there's a lot of work to do before that.

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”