wire wheel covers

All Models and Years
piddler

wire wheel covers

Post by piddler »

Has anyone had a problem with the wheel balance while using the wire wheel covers? I am getting a vibration starting about 60 MPH. The front end is in good shape and tight. I took the car back to the shop and had the balance checked again and everything was fine. I haven't had a chance to drive the car at highway speeds since I have had the balance checked again. If I still have the vibration, I am going to remove the wheel covers and see what happens. Any more thoughts?

Any help and advice appreciated, Pete
66vairguy

Re: wire wheel covers

Post by 66vairguy »

piddler wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:40 pm Has anyone had a problem with the wheel balance while using the wire wheel covers? I am getting a vibration starting about 60 MPH. The front end is in good shape and tight. I took the car back to the shop and had the balance checked again and everything was fine. I haven't had a chance to drive the car at highway speeds since I have had the balance checked again. If I still have the vibration, I am going to remove the wheel covers and see what happens. Any more thoughts?

Any help and advice appreciated, Pete
While possible, wheel covers usually are not an issue for wheel vibrations. Did your shop do a static or dynamic wheel balance? Once I had a bad brake drum due to corrosion on an old car, but that is uncommon. Usually the problem is a bad tire, which I've had happen twice on cars that sit a lot.

I'd suggest moving the drivers side front wheel to the rear and drive it. If the problem doesn't change the move the passenger side front tire to the rear.
If you see ANY side wall bulging don't drive on the tire.
piddler

Post by piddler »

The tires are new but I will try the tire swap. Thanks.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Like 66 said, you can't be sure about tires, even new. And if they didn't spin balance, well, that's just "close". Had a situation back in the 90s with Chevy Corsicas. They had a small trim ring - JUST A RING. And they started making funny noises that our detectives were complaining about. It honestly sounded like loose lug nuts, kind of a grinding sound. Would never have suspected the rings, but after a lot of trouble shooting my best mechanic said "what the heck", pulled the rings and noise was gone.
I would jack up the car, support, and spin each tire while watching for even the slightest irregularity. Dennis
piddler

Post by piddler »

They did spin balance the tires. The shop where I get my work done usually does a pretty good job.

Thanks, Pete

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”