transmission and harness

schlbus

transmission and harness

Post by schlbus »

I have a 1964 Monza. . .the transmission has the reverse lamp switch in the bottom of the transmission
Does this determine the transmission to be a 4-speed? It looks like the main wiring harness has the lamp connection in the "tunnel". Does that suggest the wiring harness is for a 3-speed? Can I adapt the harness by running the tunnel connection back to the transmission switch?

Also, on the subject of 3 vs. 4 speed. . . in the shifter, I have the spring seat with the tab on it. . .do I take that out for a 4-speed shifter?

This car has sat for around 15 years disassembled. . .parts got misplaced

Lots of questions. . .as was said on the "Johnny Carson" show. . .more to come!
Wagon Master

Re: transmission and harness

Post by Wagon Master »

All manual trans. tunnel harnesses are the same. Three speed reverse light switch plugs right into the connector you found and it's actuated off a tab on the shifter tube. Four-speed switch is on the bottom of the transmission and has about a four or five foot pigtail on it that plugs into theat same connector midway in the tunnel. No need to remove the spring tab in the shifter. If car was originally a 3-speed the cast base that bolts to the floor will be taller, effectively making it a short throw shifter for a 4-speed.
schlbus

Re: transmission and harness

Post by schlbus »

Appreciate the reply
I will now be looking for the switch harness. . . or make one myself

Return to “Site Specific Topics”