New Corvair in the garage

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
VairPS

New Corvair in the garage

Post by VairPS »

Hi All. I'm not at all new to Corvairs having grown up with them and having at least one for most of my life. After being out of the game for a few years I stumbled upon a very nice running and driving 65 Monza sport sedan online a couple of weeks ago and drove it home a distance of some 90 miles last Saturday.

it has a fairly fresh 110 and a 4-speed, also recently gone through. it runs and drives beautifully, but does need a new steering box installed and a quick shift kit and new bushings. I have the steering box and am prepping an order to my favorite Corvair vendor in MA, with whom I've done business with for 38 years.

Although sporting a cleared patina, the car is remarkably straight and has not been butchered. The interior is in remarkable condition. No speaker cuts, no radio opening surgery and nothing else messed with.

The car is also well optioned with the am/fm flip-dial radio with rear speaker, full tinted glass, color keyed (original) seatbelts, C&C group and aforementioned 110/4sp.
Attachments
20230507_150737.jpg
20230508_134627 (1).jpg
20230508_134636 (1).jpg
20230508_134655 (2).jpg
Tom Lugar
65 Monza Sport Sedan. 110/4sp, full tinted glass, am/fm, rear seat speaker, deluxe belts, posi
gbullman

Re: New Corvair in the garage

Post by gbullman »

Welcome back! I’ve owned my current Corvair for 2 1/2 years now after a 40+ year gap from my first one (that one was my first car, a 4 door, 4 speed).

I hope you have as much fun as I’m having!
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Welcome to the more doors club. Many 4 doors had a PG, although the 4 speed was ordered by some. While only produced for three years they are now becoming more attractive since they are a nice looking 4 door hardtop and not that common now.

Just an observation, without any hard facts, but it seems to me a higher percentage of Corvair 4 doors were sold with tinted glass, A/C, and PG.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Welcome to the Corvair Forum! :clap: :tu: :welcome2:

I've been riding in Corvairs since 1961 (I was 8 years old). My parents bought a new 2-door Monza coupe (4-speed). They upgraded to a new 140hp Corsa convertible in 1965...

My father and me with our new 1965 Corsa convertible at an Edwards AFB, California air show.

This 1962 Corvair, powered by my first engine rebuild, carried me to my wedding and honeymoon in 1972 (Thousand Oaks, CA)

I learned to drive in that Mist Blue Corsa, took my first driver's test in it, and was given the car in 1973 as a graduation present when I completed an electronics technical school at Keesler AFB, Biloxi MS. My pregnant wife and I drove the (now dark green) Corvair from Southern California to our first Air Force assignment with the 5th Combat Communications Group at Robins AFB, Warner Robins, GA.

My pregnant wife at age 20 in 1973 upon our arrival at our first apartment in Warner Robins, GA

Same 1965 Corsa, third color, at Hanscom AFB, MA just before I shipped it to our next assignment to a microwave communications facility in Bann, Germany (near Ramstein Air Base).

At age 70, my wife and I are still into Corvairs! The 1966 4-door sedan was purchased from a BMW dealership general manager in Southern California. The 1966 Corsa convertible was purchased from a classic car dealer in Lakeland, Florida.
So tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, your skills, experience and abilities. Do you have access to adequate tools and resources to help you with your maintenance and repairs? Can you post detailed pictures of your Corvair's engine compartment, interior, etc?
Sedan Images 1.jpg

Sedan Images 2.jpg

Sedan Images 3.jpg

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

I have to say that the late model sedans were about he best looking Sedan from the '60s. I think I had about 3, but the only one I ever drove was driven home to be parted out (engine for my engineless '66 Corsa). I traded a '67 Malibu Coupe for it. Dennis
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Interesting trivia --- The LM hardtop four door Corvair was called a "Sport Sedan" for a reason. All Chevy 4 door hardtop cars since model year 1956 have been called "Sport Sedans".

The term "Sport Sedan" was first used by Chevy in the 1930's for upscale trimmed 4 door post sedans then disappeared. When four door hardtops were introduced for the 1956 Chevy model year the "Sport Sedan" term was revived and used to identify 4 door hardtops until they were phased out due to roll over collision standards.
miatawnt2b

Post by miatawnt2b »

what color is it? Is that Glacier?
65 Corsa 4 speed coupe. Bought new Feb 65, 4th owner, no wrecks no rust.
Jake

Post by Jake »

Thats quite a history in Corvairs!

Do you recall what tire size and rims you wete running on the car when it was red?
That looks pretty perfect for my 65 Corsa Convertible.

Ive got a red vair now and that dark green might be my choice for next color.
Thanks for all the pics
Jake

Post by Jake »

Thats quite a history in Corvairs!

Do you recall what tire size and rims you wete running on the car when it was red?
That looks pretty perfect for my 65 Corsa Convertible.

Ive got a red vair now and that dark green might be my choice for next color.
Thanks for all the pics
Project65

Post by Project65 »

I love the look of the late model sedan. Congrats! Any project plans?
John
1965 Monza Sedan “The Phoenix”. Rebuild in Progress.

Return to “Introductions”