Preparing floor for new carpet

All Models and Years
NMVair

Re: Preparing floor for new carpet

Post by NMVair »

Plans: I made the decision to patch the whole with sheet panel and self tappers. I am going to use seam seal and cover a foot by a foot of the area. Then I am going to seal the whole floor with POR 15.
I think alot of people might think less of this patching method but I have consulted a bunch of others and have come to this rather than cutting and welding.
I don't have a weldr and most of it is because I am behind the eight ball with the upholsterers.
I think it will be fine.
I have to also wait on ducts and other stuff from Clark's. Soooooo

And I have to recondition the kick panel vents. How do I do this? How are those things supposed to come out without breaking?
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Also this is incorrect. This seal won't fit my car. My vent flap is oval and so is the openning in the body for the vent housing. What gives?
...and by the way if I did get a seal for the flap, how would I get the metal apart to install it?
What a mess.
PS I'm going to need help with this situation.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230507_224621_Chrome.jpg
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

First off note that it says "61-65 FORWARD CONTROL" This means it is for a van or pickup. As for self tappers, well, it's your car, and I understand about not welding (I'm blessed to have one and the experience), but it will look much cleaner and more professional with steel pop rivets or small screws and nuts. While they have their place, there's just something about self tappers or drill screws that looks patched together. Dennis
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Yeah, I know. It was a tough decision but we're going to do it right. I just have to go with it but I will take your advice and use those screws instead.
I enclosed some pictures of the kick panel vents-housing and flaps.
I can probably make the housing work and seal them up but, the door flaps themselves need new rubber.
Attachments
20230508_165803.jpg
20230508_165820.jpg
20230508_165938.jpg
20230508_165934.jpg
20230508_170020.jpg
20230508_170027.jpg
fred bagnall

Post by fred bagnall »

I don't know if you are aware that Clark's Corvair Parts has rubber available to rebuild the vent assemblies. I have satisfactory results using their products for rebuild. I would be lying to you saying that you could do the job in 30 minutes. However, if you can't source useable ones from your area, (club,junkyard, Parts car). You might be able to procure some serviceable parts from Corvair Ranch in Pennsylvania. Jeff the owner is a great guy to work with and also a wealth of knowledge.. Keep the faith and welcome to the fray. :tu: :tu:
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Thank you for the help. Yes, I know Jeff well.
I think i can use these housings. The problem are the doors.
I called Clark's and they didn't mention this kit you speak of. In fact the girl said they only had used stuff. Maybe we got our communication crossed.
A rebuild kit would b e awesome. Does anyone have a part number or a specific name for such a thing.
fred bagnall

Post by fred bagnall »

I didn't mean to lead you astray. I thought that I said that Clark's sells the rubber that goes around the vent door to seal the perimeter area. There are definitely no kits to repair the assembly as a whole. If you feel that your vent assemblies are too far gone ,then sourcing used ones in better condition might be a better alternative. :dontknow:
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

NMVair wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:10 am Thank you for the help. Yes, I know Jeff well.
I think i can use these housings. The problem are the doors.
I called Clark's and they didn't mention this kit you speak of. In fact the girl said they only had used stuff. Maybe we got our communication crossed.
A rebuild kit would b e awesome. Does anyone have a part number or a specific name for such a thing.
these rubber pieces are what you need for the kick panel vent doors. https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C2564
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Now we're getting somewhere, so that link is only the rubber seal?
Correct?
How do you put it on the door? Do you have to split the metal sides?
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Thank God for Jeff at California Corvairs, he explained about getting the vent housings cout. You just gotta figure it out. Keep working it. It will come out with like a 1/16 of room to spare.
Now, I know as much as you guys.
I'm still vascilating over the patch...
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

NMVair wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:07 am Now we're getting somewhere, so that link is only the rubber seal?
Correct?
How do you put it on the door? Do you have to split the metal sides?
On my LM, I drilled out the original door rivets, separated the 2 pieces, put in the new seal and used the rivets supplied with the kit to put the vent doors back together. I took my time so it wasn’t quick but they came out great and well worth the effort, especially on cooler, colder days.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

You had me until cooler, colder days. Are you meaning they really work on those days. I mean aren't they for hot days, to cool things off in the car?

Anyway, I want to encourage oeopke to make tutorials. There are so many things on these cars that are not covered. Even if it is done wrong in the video a good mechanic can usually use it as a start. If you need examples of what needs to be co ered, just ask.
Thank God for David Mottohead and a few others. And the service manual SOMETIMES leaves much to be desired.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

NMVair wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:03 am You had me until cooler, colder days. Are you meaning they really work on those days. I mean aren't they for hot days, to cool things off in the car?

Anyway, I want to encourage oeopke to make tutorials. There are so many things on these cars that are not covered. Even if it is done wrong in the video a good mechanic can usually use it as a start. If you need examples of what needs to be co ered, just ask.
Thank God for David Mottohead and a few others. And the service manual SOMETIMES leaves much to be desired.
Based on my experience with GM fresh air vents, I think he meant if they are NOT fully sealed when closed, then it gets unpleasant on cool/cold and damp days. Even a small air leak on a cool/cold day will leave your feet and legs cold even with the heater on.
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Interesting, I haven't experienced that. And I live in Albuquerque a very cold place.

Anyway, anyone know the square footage of a Corvair floor?
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

This process is slow.
Attachments
20230514_150950.jpg
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

I ha e a big update coming. You guys helped quite a bit. I am about to put sound deadener. I think I'm going with Dynamat Xtreme unless anyone has a better suggestion. My question is how many square feet do I need?

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”