Clutch keeps needing adjusment

All Models and Years
Scott H
Site Admin

Clutch keeps needing adjusment

Post by Scott H »

I've had to adjust my clutch half a dozen times since I got the car running. I've only driven it about 500 miles. Its a new Roger Parent clutch cable. I know new cables can stretch but I didn't think by this much. Any other things come to mind that can be causing this?
Attachments
dg5.jpg
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
66vairguy

Re: Clutch keeps needing adjusment

Post by 66vairguy »

Scott H wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:16 pm I've had to adjust my clutch half a dozen times since I got the car running. I've only driven it about 500 miles. Its a new Roger Parent clutch cable. I know new cables can stretch but I didn't think by this much. Any other things come to mind that can be causing this?
You didn't say how much you have to adjust the clutch each time, but it seems like something is wrong. A new clutch disc tends to be "fuzzy" and can require multiple adjustments in the first 1,000 miles until it wears in.

Only an inspection of all the parts can say for sure what the issue is.

I've run into this complaint when the clutch pedal arm to shaft weld is failing. Not common, but it happens.

One thing about Roger Parent's clutch cable is it is mostly cable. Nice to roll up for storage. The Corvair cable is mostly a rod. Just speculating here, but I wonder if the longer cable is stretching as it is used. So far I haven't heard any negative issues regarding Roger P's cables. If you find an issue please post and let Roger know.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

66vairguy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:24 pm
Scott H wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:16 pm I've had to adjust my clutch half a dozen times since I got the car running. I've only driven it about 500 miles. Its a new Roger Parent clutch cable. I know new cables can stretch but I didn't think by this much. Any other things come to mind that can be causing this?
You didn't say how much you have to adjust the clutch each time, but it seems like something is wrong. A new clutch disc tends to be "fuzzy" and can require multiple adjustments in the first 1,000 miles until it wears in.

Only an inspection of all the parts can say for sure what the issue is.

I've run into this complaint when the clutch pedal arm to shaft weld is failing. Not common, but it happens.

One thing about Roger Parent's clutch cable is it is mostly cable. Nice to roll up for storage. The Corvair cable is mostly a rod. Just speculating here, but I wonder if the longer cable is stretching as it is used. So far I haven't heard any negative issues regarding Roger P's cables. If you find an issue please post and let Roger know.
I have adjusted it 3-4 times. Just enough to get the clutch engagement off the floor and back up towards the top of the peddle.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Scott H wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:46 pm
I have adjusted it 3-4 times. Just enough to get the clutch engagement off the floor and back up towards the top of the peddle.
Not sure if I get what you are indicating. Typically, the clutch pedal should depress about 3/8" of an inch before contacting the throwout bearing. Then the clutch should be fully disengaged in the next inch or two of travel.

If you have to get the pedal to the floor to full disengage the clutch, and the pedal contacts the throwout bearing normally at the top of travel, then something is giving in the linkage, or you have a new clutch disc (when new they have "fuzz" and bumps that must be worn down smooth).
manofsteel

Post by manofsteel »

Could any of you all take some pictures of where to do the adjustments? Sure would be appreciated. T hanks
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: The long clutch cable and/or plastic pulleys could be breaking down or deteriorating with age. One or more broken steel strands in the clutch cable could cause it to gradually stretch before it finally breaks. A new clutch cable and pully system inspection may be in order.

If the aging clutch cable plastic pulleys are failing, Roger Parent offers some aluminum replacements on page 6 of his catalog (copy attached below).

The clutch adjustments are made near the transaxle, as shown in the shop manual. Cable and pulley inspections are done under the dashboard and under the car, after removing the access panels. Be sure to use jack stands to secure the car. Never rely on a jack alone to support the vehicle!

See page 7-2 of the attached 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual for clutch adjustment procedures...
:chevy:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 7 - CLUTCH AND CONTROLS.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 7 - CLUTCH AND CONTROLS
(4.83 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
Roger Parent Catalog 8-22-2020.pdf
Roger Parent Catalog 8-22-2020
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 14 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

bbodie52 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:53 am :think: The long clutch cable and/or plastic pulleys could be breaking down or deteriorating with age. One or more broken steel strands in the clutch cable could cause it to gradually stretch before it finally breaks. A new clutch cable and pully system inspection may be in order.

If the aging clutch cable plastic pulleys are failing, Roger Parent offers some aluminum replacements on page 6 of his catalog (copy attached below).

The clutch adjustments are made near the transaxle, as shown in the shop manual. Cable and pulley inspections are done under the dashboard and under the car, after removing the access panels. Be sure to use jack stands to secure the car. Never rely on a jack alone to support the vehicle!

See page 7-2 of the attached 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual for clutch adjustment procedures...
:chevy:
I already have the Roger Parent cable AND billet pulleys. Although I didn't need the pulleys, the '60 has steel pulleys.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Scott H wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:55 pm
I already have the Roger Parent cable AND billet pulleys. Although I didn't need the pulleys, the '60 has steel pulleys.
On another forum somebody posted their Roger Parent cable failed after only 700 miles. Roger said he would buy it back. Roger wants to see if their is an issue - hmmmmm.

I've found Roger to be a great guy to deal with and I suggest you contact him about your problem.
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

I'm still using Roger's cable and pulley after a couple of years and a few thousand miles. Haven't had any problems yet.
Good guy to deal with and answered all my questions before I bought his.
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

manofsteel wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:22 am Could any of you all take some pictures of where to do the adjustments? Sure would be appreciated. T hanks
Depending on how my day goes, I'll try to get under and take a few pictures. Mine's a 62, but he linkages should be the same. Another area would be the clutch cross shaft and the body mounting for it. I'll get pics of that too. Dennis
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Here are adjustment points.
Adjustment point on cable
Adjustment point on cable
adjustment point on rod
adjustment point on rod
Again check the cross shaft and mounting. Dennis
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

where the adjusters are on the rods is not really relevant. What is relevant is if you have followed the step by step adjusting procedures in the appropriate shop manual or manuals for your year Corvair. Another thing to check is the clutch lever where the cable connects to the right of the pedal. Sometimes the welds crack and allow the lever to twist on the pedal cross shaft. When the lever twists the pedal pulls the cable less. If you adjust the clutch tighter and the lever twists some more then you are back where you started. If this weld is allowing the lever to twist it must be repositioned to where it is supposed to be and welded solidly in that position again followed by a proper per the manual clutch adjustment. A failing stretching cable can also be in play as can a clutch that is just near the end of its life (worn out).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”