64 4 speed clutch pedal to floor

All Models and Years
seeker2736

64 4 speed clutch pedal to floor

Post by seeker2736 »

the clutch pedal on my 64 4 speed goes all the way to the floor. I pulled the tunnel covers and the cable is not broken.
I think it is the clutch pull rod. My question is how to I go about checking this. The 64 Covair service manual linage adjustment looks different then mine.
The Factory Assembly Manual looks like mine. The clutch pedal does not return. The Cross shaft does not move.
terribleted

Re: 64 4 speed clutch pedal to floor

Post by terribleted »

Sounds like the cable is broken. Are you sure it is attached to the transfer lever to the right of the clutch pedal? I have never seen a broken clutch rod and even if it was broken the return spring back there would still pull the pedal back up. If everything in the linkage is still in place then maybe somehow something has come apart in the pressure plate and jammed everything?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 64 4 speed clutch pedal to floor

Post by bbodie52 »

Check the descriptions, illustrations, etc. in the attached 1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6b - Clutch. The illustrations especially may give you some ideas concerning the cable routing, pulleys, and the possibilities for disruption of you clutch connectivity.

:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... w_page=112

:chevy:
Attachments
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6b - Clutch.pdf
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6b - Clutch
(256.53 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”