80-89
No votes
90-100
1%

Total votes: 79

CARGOIL

Re: Future of the corvair clubs and younger members - POLL

Post by CARGOIL »

Maybe you could get him to sell his computer or just trade it in for a slide rule too.
Trip

Post by Trip »

corsa1948 wrote:Very interesting. Corvair in it's many various forms should have a lot of appeal to young folks if for no other reason than it's afforable and can be made to go f a s t >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Larry
Problem is that they aren't fast at all stock, and making them fast isn't cheap.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

Grymm wrote:Problem is that they aren't fast at all stock, and making them fast isn't cheap.
What is your definition of fast Grymm?
1966 Corsa Coupe
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Compared to a plain-jane stock Civic, stock Corvairs are slow. I've tried....
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Compared to a plain-jane stock Civic, stock Corvairs are slow. I've tried....
Sad but true -- most baseline small 4 cylinder modern cars will blow the doors off of most stock or even modified Corvairs.
My car is very fast for a street driven Corvair . It does the qtr mile in about the same time and speed as a stock 375 hp Corvette or a 390 AMX but there are many Japanese cars that I won't mess with.

With a Corvair it's more about the total package -- Corvairs are just fun to drive.
Attachments
083.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Trip

Post by Trip »

cvair4life wrote:
Grymm wrote:Problem is that they aren't fast at all stock, and making them fast isn't cheap.

well, my definition isn't what we need be concerned with, "theirs" is!

The first question nearly EVERY younger person asks first when they see my hot rodded Corsa is either "How fast is it?" or "Is it fast?". I just tell them what mods it has and let them draw their own conclusions. I'd be ashamed to tell them the truth.

My Corsa ran dead even in a rough 1/4 run with my brothers Honda Fit!!!!! I'm hoping to improve it now that I've learned more about Corvair carburetor tuning and balancing. My engine is a 140 running a 280 Isky, max bore (stock cylinders), Pertronix II, and mildly ported heads with the steps milled out. My personal objective is to break 15 seconds with this engine. If I ever invest a lot more money (3.1 etc.) I'd be shooting for high 13's... I don't know if its realistic but if it isn't I wouldn't spend that kind of money.

I'd say "quick" is a 1/4 mile under 15 seconds, "fast" is a quarter in under 13 seconds. Kids are much less concerned with handling than acceleration and (sadly) top speed.. acceleration is what they use to impress their friends and passengers... it is the least risky way to show off on public roads. I enjoy the occasional full throttle blast up the on-ramp onto the interstate myself.

Possibly nearly as important is the seat of the pants effect. My 68' Corvette (built up 327) was only capable of mid to high 13's, but it felt much faster. All I had to do was take someone for one straight line ride to 70mph and they would rave about how fast my car is to everyone they knew. I was 20 at the time.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
64 Monza Convertible
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Getting into the 15s is possible but everything will have to be at it's optimum.

16s is more realistic.

Even with a 3.1 you will have to have it highly modified and likely lightened too to even get into the 14s.

Running 13s is gonna pretty much take a "race car"

Each tenth gets harder and harder and costs more cubic dollars and makes the car less driveable.
Attachments
drag2.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
johnritter

Post by johnritter »

Kevin,

What 1/4 or 1/8 E.T.'s are you getting and do you have a dyno sheet or maybe a guess at your crank hp.

I am in the parts accumulating stages for a 140 build that will go to a 3.1 and yes, it is one expensive engine of dollars per horsepower to build.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

I'm afraid to guess at HP :rafman:

My best qtr mile time so far is 14.600 @ 95.07 mph with 9.39 @ 75 at the 1/8th mile The car really wasn't running at it's best (long story) and I think with some practice I can get pretty close to a 14 flat or :fingerscrossed: possibly a very high 13.

Wheelhop at the line was a problem too.
Attachments
time slip1.jpg
DRAG1.JPG
DRAG1.JPG (10.5 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Trip

Post by Trip »

UNSAFE wrote:Getting into the 15s is possible but everything will have to be at it's optimum.

16s is more realistic.

Even with a 3.1 you will have to have it highly modified and likely lightened too to even get into the 14s.

Running 13s is gonna pretty much take a "race car"

Each tenth gets harder and harder and costs more cubic dollars and makes the car less driveable.

My brother's Honda Fit is supposed to run 17.1 and we were dead even.. one run I won by a couple feet, the other i lost by a couple feet. If I can get to a 15.999 I'll be much happier.

While on this topic, I know absolutely nothing about how to go to a drag strip and make a run or two. Anyone want to give a quick rundown on what is involved and how to be prepared if we want to get our first official numbers? Funny enough I grew up close enough to "Old Bridge Township: Raceway Park" (it's on the national NHRA circuit I think) to hear the races every week, but have only been there once and it was years after I moved away.

Also related: Any time I try to launch my Corsa from a stop I feel like I'm going to break something. I guess the massive amount of traction is what bothers me... I just feel like I'm trying to tear the drivetrain out of the car. Any advice on launching a Corvair? I'm accustomed to my primary concern being to minimize wheelspin.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
64 Monza Convertible
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

While on this topic, I know absolutely nothing about how to go to a drag strip and make a run or two. Anyone want to give a quick rundown on what is involved and how to be prepared if we want to get our first official numbers?
If there is a strip nearby get a copy of their regulations as far as safety equipment. You most likely will have to submit your car to a basic safety inspection.

Most of the racing nowadays is what's called Bracket Racing. This is a handicapping system that let's you race fairly against faster or slower cars. You guess how fast your car will go and the starting light will delay one of the cars so in theory you both hit the finish side by side. As long as your faster than the other guy but not faster than your guess (dial in time) you win. If you look at the time slip above you will note that I actually lost the race because I went faster than my dial in time.

Breaking parts can be a problem drag racing Corvairs. Most of the time it's the spider gears in the rear end. Special 4 spider kits will help eliminate the problem.

Now for the actual race . You pull up to the line slowly to trigger the staging light . As soon as both cars are staged the Christmas tree (starting light) will blink three yellows and then a green light. You will have to practice your reaction time but generally you want to take off as soon as the last yellow light comes on. Just don't go to soon or you will trigger a red light that is an automatic lose.

Now just hold the long pedal to the floor until you cross the finish line. It's not always the quickest or fastest car that wins , It's the one that crosses the finish line first. This is where reaction time comes into play. In the run on the timeslip above my reaction time was .087 compared to .251 in the other lane.

For those of you who knew Chuck Armer - that was him in the other lane against me in the "Where's the Beef" race car.

There are several websites with practice trees to let you work on reaction time.

In this video you can see a few of my drag race runs towards the end.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
mlevair

Post by mlevair »

Kevin we need a rematch this year as I noticed you keep showing the same pic of you beating me over and over again. :not worthy:
Michael LeVeque
LeVair Performance & Restoration
Anderson,IN
765-617-9307
johnritter

Post by johnritter »

Thanks Kevin, I have a program called Quarter Mile and if I plug in your figures it spits out a VERY optimistic answer, it will require me to do too much guessing at things such as weight, altitude, weather factor and does not allow for wheel spin, bog or hop so its a little like "garbage in ='s garbage out" but its the best program I have to play with at this time.

I have intended to mess around with the program to get a ballpark hp number that I will need on my engine dyno to decide how hard to massage my setup. I really have been thinking that I want an HONEST 185 to 200 crank hp because this is only going to be a driver, I have talked to Mike Flynn at Nitrous Sysyems and will probably run a small amount of spray mounted to a removable plate inserted between the Webers and the new manifolds, I wanted to spray 40 to 50 but they can only get me down to about 75 add'l hp. I wil talk to other companies before deciding which system to go with. My intention is to only spray in 3 & 4 gear to be easier on the engine. DAMN, second childhoods are a hoot.

I will share the numbers I get from your info above but it is not possible to be accurate, only a general range so take it with a grain of salt.

Michael, you're right, Kevin is just being mean, you need to demand a rematch. lol
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

That was a pretty impressive reaction time, Kevin, .087. Yeah Grymm, like Kevin said, you'll need to set a baseline time of how fast your car is (called your "dial time") and then when that's set, if you beat that time, you'll "break out" or be disqualified from that particular run and the win goes to the other guy. You should leave on a "late yellow" to get the best reaction time, but not too early or you'll "red light" and the other guy will automatically win that run. I love drag racing. I bought a new SRT-4 Neon in '04 and used to take it to Palmdale on Friday nights. My best was a 14.04 @98 MPH (corrected for altitude)

I don't see why a turbocharged 'vair can't run 20 pounds of boost if the engine's built for it. Seems like a 3.1 with a modern turbo pushing 20 psi of boost would give 13's fairly easily. Cylinder head temp might get a little scary by the end of the quarter tho'.....
66corsa57isetta
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 66corsa57isetta »

woo hooo! so far in the poll im the youngest at 19!! even though i sold my vair to zach collins to help fund college, ill have another eventually
-Michael Barney
Ft. Wayne, Indiana

-1966 Corsa Coupe, 140, 4 speed (sold but still in good hands!!)

-1957 BMW isetta 300 bubble window, 13 HP, 4 speed BEAST!!
johnritter

Post by johnritter »

Kevin,

I ran some numbers using your et and mph and guessed your weight w/driver at 2600 lbs. As I said, this program is questionable but here is what I got. 14.6 & 95.07 shows 169 crank and 144 rear wheel. I the tried it at 14 flat and 98 mph because you said it hopped at the launch and that shows right at 190 crank and 162 rear wheel. I know it is not 100% accurate but that should give you a ballpark estimate.

I never know rear wheel hp because my Land & Sea water brake dyno is engine only, I use it for development of products and this new one I bought is all automated so the computer makes the pulls identical everytime until I change the parameters. The repeatability is excellent. As I said I want my street engine to come in around 185 to 200 crank so it sounds like yours is right in that range.

Return to “Corvair Talk”