What is this interior dash color?

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
miatawnt2b

What is this interior dash color?

Post by miatawnt2b »

PXL_20220912_225806265.jpg
Can anyone tell me what this interior dash color is? What's the paint code, and are there any rattle cans that match?
This is a pic of the ashtray. It's a blue/grey color. This is on a 65 Corsa.
The interior code is W, slate. This is not slate, but it would have been the complimentary dash color.
Last edited by miatawnt2b on Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
65 Corsa 4 speed coupe. Bought new Feb 65, 4th owner, no wrecks no rust.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: What is this interior dash color?

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: :nono: Your method of sharing your photographs on the Corvair Forum is not working, as the images are not visible. You might try using the Attachments tab at the bottom of your post edit screen. Click the "add files" button and upload some of your image files directly. They will be visible as photographs when you save your Corvair Forum post.

Body Tag examples

You will find your Body Tag in the engine compartment, near the distributor...

A guide to body tag decoding resources on the web
:link: viewtopic.php?t=4321

:chevy:
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 15 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
miatawnt2b

Post by miatawnt2b »

Thanks Brad,
I have attempted to research the W-W 795 Interior code, and I have seen that pdf that you posted.
Here's where I was confused.
The 795 W interior code is Slate. The sales name is Glacier Gray. To me that means that "Slate" is "Glacier Gray" That's why I say this is the complimentary color.
Additionally Clarks HG color code "Slate" is the silver gray color of my vinyl. It definitely is not the same as the dash color.

Frankly, the documentation is confusing which I'm willing to bet isn't all that uncommon for 1965 GM products.

However, I did a quick search for 1965 Chevrolet slate paint code, and I was able to find a complete 65 swatch list. This showed code 9196LH "Slate" which appears to be the correct color.
The research I've done points to W-W 795 as Slate/Glacier Gray. Clarks calls the interior HG "slate" This is light gray for the vinyl interior, but the paint color "slate" is not even close to the same color.

Thanks again Brad. I really like that pdf.

I'm not sure why you say my pics aren't showing. This one comes up fine for me, as have my other pics in other posts.
-J
65 Corsa 4 speed coupe. Bought new Feb 65, 4th owner, no wrecks no rust.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

miatawnt2b wrote: » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:58 pm

...I'm not sure why you say my pics aren't showing. This one comes up fine for me, as have my other pics in other posts.
It might be a website security issue. When you embed an image URL on the Corvair Forum, the website software must reach out to the source website to grab the image to display it as an embedded image in your Corvair Forum posting. On your PC, the website that hosts the image file recognizes your PC as the owner of the images, and permits the file to be accessed/shared when you view it on the Corvair Forum. But the rest of us do not have security access to the host website, [https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/] so the images are blocked, because they are private and not marked to be publicly shared.

:sad5: Image :eek:

I See Nothing!.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Project65

Post by Project65 »

I took my ashtray (and my dashboard panels) down to one of my local auto parts stores that also sells automotive paint. They used their laser optical scanner and color matched the ashtray and dash paint and made it up into rattle cans for me.

When they scanned it, they identified a match in the computer log system. They said the paint was gloss, so I bought a satin clear coat to spray over.

Perhaps this may be your best best to try.

Here’s a few pics.
Attachments
Custom blend rattle cans (2 on the left are gold and silver).  The can on the right is a satin clear coat.
Custom blend rattle cans (2 on the left are gold and silver). The can on the right is a satin clear coat.
‘65 monza silver dash panels after I painted them.  Identified as a “general motors” silver when scanned.
‘65 monza silver dash panels after I painted them. Identified as a “general motors” silver when scanned.
The rusty gold ash tray that matches the dash.  I had it scanned.  My other rattle can is gold.
The rusty gold ash tray that matches the dash. I had it scanned. My other rattle can is gold.
John
1965 Monza Sedan “The Phoenix”. Rebuild in Progress.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”