Removal of Rear Grill

Need to know how? Want to show how?
lalkie01

Removal of Rear Grill

Post by lalkie01 »

I am in the process of painting my 65 Corsa and want information on how to remove the grill behind the rear window. I found some information on removing it on a coupe but not a convertible. Any ticks I should know? Do I have to remove the rear part of the top?
Any help would be appreciated. Larry
66vairguy

Re: Removal of Rear Grill

Post by 66vairguy »

The coupe, four door, and convertible air inlet grilles ARE ALL DIFFERENT!

You said 65 Corsa and there was no Corsa four door, so is it a coupe or convertible?
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

lalkie01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:28 pm I am in the process of painting my 65 Corsa and want information on how to remove the grill behind the rear window. I found some information on removing it on a coupe but not a convertible. Any ticks I should know? Do I have to remove the rear part of the top?
Any help would be appreciated. Larry
lalkie01

Post by lalkie01 »

Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

It has been years, but I recall the convertible is the easiest to remove the air inlet grille. Along the gutter area holding the engine seal you'll find small screws holding the grille down They are just forward of the gutter. DON'T LOOSE THE SCREWS as some are very short to clear braces under the screw holes. I've forgotten which ones, but you can use a wire probe to find the depth. I've seen folks replace the screws with ones too long and when they tighten them down they strip out the hole because the screw bottoms out.

The forward part of the grille slides under the convertible top stainless trim. However the stainless trim is held in place with clips and to keep the trim and grille from rattling GM used a lot of body strip caulk (a pliable clay like material). After all these decades the body calk can be hard. Best to be patient and not bend anything.

3M still sells the body strip caulk. See https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40068361/

Sometimes (I forgot which body models) you can't slide the air inlet grill back far enough to lift it out as it hits the engine lid or hinges. When that happens don't force it. Just remove the engine lid.

Hope this helps and maybe somebody with a better memory can comment.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I noticed you had a post on the CCF (I don't post there as I couldn't get an account to work). Someone mentioned the boot snaps on the trim. AFAIK they are all riveted to the trim except on the side trim were some screw into the body. You should not have to touch them!

The clips that hold the stainless trim to the body can be broken, missing, or rusted. Clark's sells them, but no fun installing them.

Good luck.
lalkie01

Post by lalkie01 »

Thanks for your help. It should make it easier. At least I have an idea of what I will have to do.

Larry

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”