Corvair Bellhousing ID

All Models and Years
'68_Corvair

Corvair Bellhousing ID

Post by '68_Corvair »

Hey all,

I pulled a 1963 80hp engine out of my 1968 Monza yesterday. The engine had become too worn out to be usable, and I plan on putting a 140 PG engine in its place. The 140 PG engine I have came with a manual transmission bellhousing on it, so I was hoping to use the power glide bellhousing & flex plate from the 80hp engine.

I did some research, and it sounds like there are 4 different bellhousings for corvairs. A 145 cubic inch manual and PG bellhousing, and a 164 cubic inch manual and PG bellhousing. How would I differentiate between an early and late PG bellhousing? Are the flex plates different between the 145 and 164 engines as well? How cross - compatible are these parts?

The car has a ‘67 - ‘69 140 PG transmission in it currently, and I plan on cleaning it up, resealing it, and using it with the 140 PG engine.
Attachments
No cracks in this bellhousing. Besides being dirty, it appears to be in good shape.
No cracks in this bellhousing. Besides being dirty, it appears to be in good shape.
GM part # 6255599
GM part # 6255599
9B96C0F0-8633-4A57-A545-05BB40C9A5BD.jpeg
Sean

1968 Corvair Monza Coupe (140 / PG)
terribleted

Re: Corvair Bellhousing ID

Post by terribleted »

Nope. You need a proper late model PG bellhousing. Look at your first photo on the standard shift bellhousing and notice the round spot below the crank seal in the surface of the inside. This is a relief for late camshaft clearance. A Late Model PG b bellhousing will have the same recess in this location. Early model bellhousings do not have this. Other than this detail the early and late PG bellhousings are the same.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
'68_Corvair

Post by '68_Corvair »

Thanks for the detailed response.

I take it that the early and late model flex plates are different as well?
Sean

1968 Corvair Monza Coupe (140 / PG)
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

'68_Corvair wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:27 am I take it that the early and late model flex plates are different as well?
Stop using "early" or "late model" as a cutoff point for engine changes. Instead, think of when the engines significantly changed in 64 to the longer stroke crank.

Yes there is a 60-63 flex plate and a 64-69 flex plate. Hint, it's very easy to find differences like this by using the Clark's catalog as a reference library. Even a simple ebay search for parts shows there are two different versions and when the change occurred.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

'68_Corvair wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:27 am Thanks for the detailed response.

I take it that the early and late model flex plates are different as well?
164 engine flex plates have a small hole in them just outside the mounting bolt circle where it mounts to the crank.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”