3 Point seat belts in an EM

All Models and Years
steptoe

3 Point seat belts in an EM

Post by steptoe »

Has anyone installed 3 point seat belts in an early model Monza with bucket seats? I see info for late models but not mine. I have regular 2 point belts now but don't want to eat a steering wheel. Where to mount the upper harness on the door jamb? Thanks for any help, David
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 3 Point seat belts in an EM

Post by bbodie52 »

I have regular 2 point belts now but don't want to eat a steering wheel.
The Corvair steering column is a solid shaft with no collapsible steering column. In a front end collision, the steering wheel can be driven toward the driver, so the steering wheel can be driven to the rear to hit the driver! A not so pleasant thought, but it is one of the hazards of driving an older classic car that lacks some of the modern safety configurations.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Re: 3 Point seat belts in an EM

Post by terribleted »

3 point belts can be done conventionally for front seat passengers in any early model non convertible car. The shoulder belt pivot needs to be mounted to the inside of the roof behind the drivers shoulder slightly just like similar belts in newer cars. This requires welding a substantial bolt to plate into the inner roof of the car. An option for convertibles (will work as well non convertibles), is to change the front seats with ones from a later car that has the 3 point belts built into the seats. Chrysler Sebring Convertible seats are often used. There are a few other cars that also use this design. Care must be taken that the new seats are solidly mounted to the floor with at least as much structure as held the original seats in place. More strength here is better as the seat will take additional load in a crash as compared to the original seats with no shoulder harness built in.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”