Shift shaft seal removal

All Models and Years
66corsaguy

Shift shaft seal removal

Post by 66corsaguy »

I’ve been trying and trying to remove this seal and i can not get it out. I’ve tried prying and I’ve tried drilling and adding screws etc etc. nothing is working. To the point that i think am i doing it right? Am i even looking at the right part!
The new seal i bought will fit over the small post that’s sticking out. I removed the small pin and separated the parts so i am in the right place.

The old seal I’m thinking must be REALLY old. As i am mangling it a spring like piece of metal came out of it and the new part does not have this. Have i done something wrong?

Help please. I’ve not driven the car for 2 years bc of this leak and and due to working overtime I’ve not been able to work on it. I finally have the opportunity to get this fixed and I’m struggling for over an hour at least just trying to get this damn seal off. Im trying not to scratch the posts et etc. but am at my wits end.

All and Any suggestions are welcomed. I will try any advice given.

Part of it is i am having leverage issues but i believe this is normal for being under the car.
66corsaguy

Re: Shift shaft seal removal

Post by 66corsaguy »

Ok so i finally got it out. I couldnt give up and remembered reading that some people cut it out so that tells me it can be difficult if they’re old. Here’s a pic
Old and new shift shaft seal
Old and new shift shaft seal
I don’t know how old it was but it has a spring inside of it. Ive not heard of a seal with a spring but what do i know and started thinking i was damaging something behind it. Looked in my mechanic book and there’s nothing behind it so i just went a bit more aggressive. I got it to spin and when that happened i knew i would be able to grab it. Was afraid of leaving bits behind. I’ll clean it up real Good.

So for the next mechanic trying to remove the seal: like others have said it will come out.
The best way is to poke a hole in it and try and push it to move and break the seal than try to pry it out. I was about to make a tool with my grinder cos having the right tool would definitely help but not sure a seal puller will help- maybe two- one on each side.

Anyway. Good luck to others. Read everyone else’s post and stay confident it does come out!!!!

Thanks !
Jamie.
San Francisco
Wsj

Post by Wsj »

Good seals used to have springs to keep tension against the shaft. Newer ones don’t. Perhaps better seal material makes it unnecessary.
Wayne
69 Monza coupe 140 PG 29000 miles original except was 110
68 Monza convertible 140 4 speed
Arizona
JohnDB

Post by JohnDB »

My old seal came out the same way - even the spring part coming out first. So far the new seal seems to be fine.
John
1966 Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”