1965-1969 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism Details

Need to know how? Want to show how?
Charlie

1965-1969 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism Details

Post by Charlie »

The windows on my 1965 Monza convertible were sticking and binding.
The windows would not close completely and were misaligned, so I'm taking them all apart.
Much help was given by friend Jerry Whitt, who guided me through my first attempt at tearing my doors apart!)

Here are some pix of my progress, so you can see what's going on inside those doors ~ hope these make your job easier!
Note : More pix were added on 11/15/2014 ~ If you want me to include something that's not here, just ask!

Here is a look at how all of the parts of the window mechanism fit together:

First, this is the Front Door Window Mechanism in the Rolled Down position (imagine a phantom door over it):
1965 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism~Rolled Down
1965 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism~Rolled Down
This is the Front Door Window Mechanism in the Rolled Up position (imagine a phantom door over it):
1965 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism~Rolled Up
1965 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism~Rolled Up
Window front edge height (angle) adjustment using short cam follower :
Move adjustable end of this cam up to raise the front edge of window, down to lower it
(The window glass "pivots" on the lower rear corner of the glass, so to speak, to make the top edge horizontal, if it's not already?)
1965 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism-Height Adjustment Cam
1965 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism-Height Adjustment Cam
These are the attachment points with screws (as opposed to bolts) that hold the window brackets to the longer cam channel:
(You'll have to roll the window a few inches from full up position to see these ~ Gauge by eye.)

Window to Cam Channel Attachment Screw Location-Back :
(When re-installing glass, attach this end first because the forward end has locator tabs, but the back one doesn't.)
1965 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism-Cam Channel-Rear Attachment
1965 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism-Cam Channel-Rear Attachment
Window to Cam Channel Attachment Screw Location-Front :
(Notice the locator tabs above and below the cam channel)
1965 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism-Cam Channel-Front Attachment
1965 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism-Cam Channel-Front Attachment
Where are the 1965 Corvair Front Door Window Weather Strip Holes so you can remove them without guessing?
The rear-most hole is about 1-1/2" from the rear door edge, and the other 6 holes are spaced evenly about 4-1/2" apart.
1965 Corvair Front Door Window Weather Strip Holes
1965 Corvair Front Door Window Weather Strip Holes
I'll post more after I get a complete tutorial, to supplement the GM manual ...
Last edited by Charlie on Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:02 am, edited 9 times in total.
cad-kid

Re: 1965 Monza door windows

Post by cad-kid »

Thanks, good post!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
junkman

Post by junkman »

There are very few things that can cause problems with door windows, but left unattended, you can wind up with a broken glass. First thing that I look at is the sealing strip at the bottom of the glass. If this has come loose, it is an easy repair by just spraying it with some WD40. The seal is activated by the solvents in the WD40, and cause it to swell again. The next thing to look at are the tracks that the window lowers into. If the soft fabric material is worn or missing, the glass will rattle around in the track, and can chip, leading to a total failure of the glass (read as broken glass). The last thing to look at is the rollers, and if they are worn or dirty, clean, lubricate, and / or replace. For the window to work smoothly, the rollers have to roll with little resistance. Many times, just cleaning the rollers and track will solve most, if not all of the issues. Finally, replace the fuzzies at the top of the door, on both the outside and inside.
If you are just removing the glass for inspection, before you start dismantling everything, spray some black paint on the adjustment screws / nuts, so it will leave a mark exactly where the adjustment screws / nuts need to go back in place. A digital picture(s) will also help to jog your memory. In extreme cases, you always have the opposite door that you can use for reference. One more reason to work on only one at a time.
Glass work isn't easy the first time, but once you master the technique, it gets easier and much more rewarding to know that you have mastered it. For that professional look, finish up by cleaning the glass of all finger prints, and smudges.
PS...
While everything is out of the door, clean out any debris at the bottom of the door, and check for rust in the pinch weld area. I use cosmoline spray to rustproof this area after cleaning it. Also, don't forget to reinstall the waterproof paper that protects the interior cardboard trim panel from water damage.
I deal with reasonable people reasonably, and unreasonable people, not at all!
BobWitt
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by BobWitt »

Good post, and timely too - I will likely be removing my movable glass in the next week or so... Would love to add the 'run channels to your photos! Particularly like the fuzzies clip locations and the hint of spraying all bolt positions before we start.

Thanks!
BobWitt - South East Michigan
Member: Corsa and DACC

1966 Corsa 140
Follow my build at: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9082"
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

I was at Charlies house when he took the windows apart. The pictures are after cleanup. He did a lot with wire brushes, other cleaning processes before the pics were snapped!!!
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: 1965 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism Details

Post by azdave »

Here are some helpful pics I took of my 65 Monza parts car.

More pics at this link.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1152589690 ... directlink
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Charlie

Re: 1965 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism Details

Post by Charlie »

Thanks for those pix ~ I used them to get some idea of what I had to do to mine ~
Looks better than mine did, before I cleaned it!!

Now it works much better!
my65

Re: 1965-1969 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism Details

Post by my65 »

Thanks Charlie... :coolphotos: I also will need to dismantle my doors to lubricate, adjust, replace the weather stripping and channel moleskin. The pictures you posted tied all I have seem in numerous posts and in Clark's catalog together! :ty: You put nothing in the post about the removal of the vent window frames but they were not in the picture? Could / would you please add those pictures, if you have them, and dismantling sequence??
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
Fast Eddie
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Fast Eddie »

When re-installing the regulator can you install the regulator first then slide the tracks onto the rollers?
If it aint broke, give me a minute
Corvaircar

Post by Corvaircar »

I searched the forum posts and found yours, what a great help it was when I re-assembled my window. I am intending to get everything lined up with the glass in the channel but not fixed in the channel with the rubber and once it is all running smoothly drop the glass into the channel from the top. Does this sound doable???? Or does it have to be done in another way??
Thanks.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

The glass is a force-fit into the channel with a new rubber strip laid in the channel to grip it. I don't think you will be able to force the glass into the channel when the empty channel is already inside the door but can't say I've tried that.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Corvaircar

Post by Corvaircar »

I can place the glass in the channel without any problem without the rubber strip in the channel, I am sure it will be a bit more difficult with the strip in the channel but I am going to give it a go and I will let you know if it it works for me.
Thanks for the reply.
STB2000

Post by STB2000 »

My '65 convertible's front-left window isn't secure when down; it rattles and hits the door when I shut the door. When looking down into the window opening the outer rear edge of the glass is pushed against the outer fuzzy. See picture:
IMG_4386.jpg
The front of the glass is pushed against the inner fuzzy.

Is there an adjustment to make the glass more parallel with the opening?

Is there a way to better secure the window so it's not rattling around in the door?

Is the 1965 Body Service Manual a good resource for this type of work?

Thanks!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Here are some references that I had on this subject...

:chevy:
Attachments
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 1 of 4.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 1 of 4
(6.71 MiB) Downloaded 115 times
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 2 of 4.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 2 of 4
(9.83 MiB) Downloaded 60 times
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 3 of 4.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 3 of 4
(6.52 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 4 of 4.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 4 of 4
(9.68 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - REAR QUARTER WINDOW ASSEMBLIES.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - REAR QUARTER WINDOW ASSEMBLIES
(6.41 MiB) Downloaded 47 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

STB2000 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:31 pm My '65 convertible's front-left window isn't secure when down; it rattles and hits the door when I shut the door. When looking down into the window opening the outer rear edge of the glass is pushed against the outer fuzzy. See picture:

IMG_4386.jpg

The front of the glass is pushed against the inner fuzzy.

Is there an adjustment to make the glass more parallel with the opening?

Is there a way to better secure the window so it's not rattling around in the door?

Is the 1965 Body Service Manual a good resource for this type of work?

Thanks!
The rear window track is adjustable in and out at the adjustment stud near the bottom of the track, which will change the angle of the window in the door. The track is also adjustable up and down which affects the length of the space between it and the vent window channel. If the window has too much forward and rearward movement the track needs to move up some to make this length shorter. To tip the glass away from the outer door skin the lower adjuster needs to be made longer. Door panel removal is necessary to make these adjustments to access the lower adjuster nut and stud. Be sure that the water paper is intact between the door panel and the steel of the door so water can not get on the inside of the cardboard door panel and ruin it.

Once you adjust the door window so it is happy it may be necessary to adjust the 1/4 panel window as well for a good fit where the 2 join when closed.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
STB2000

Post by STB2000 »

Thank you both. I'll review the body manual pages along with Ted's tips and then see how it goes.

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”