1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Cleaned the carbs out and now I have a little venturi dribble on the driver's side carb, will re-adjust float level a smidge.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Re-adjusted the float but it was COLD yesterday so I'll run it later.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Got my new rear door panels today, haven't been able to drool over them yet. Have to carefully glue the metal strips to them without making a mess and install soon. Ran the car to warm up and re-adjusted idle mixtures and re-balanced the carbs. Adjusted idle speed as well, had backed them out too far, and hadn't actually clipped the accelerator rod to the driver's side primary I missed so when revving it did sound funny. Found and fixed that boo-boo quickly.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

New door panels are gorgeous. Makes me want new front panels too. There are guide lines for where the metal strip goes, will rough the vinyl up a bit between the lines and glue the strips on. Provided but never attached to old panels post dying them from red to black by the PO, so easy peasy.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

The feeling you get when the 2 metal strips that go on the rear door panels that have been kicking around in your garage for years as you awaited the opportunity to buy new panels...and you can only find one today. :banghead: I'll have to look harder and move more stuff around, I'm sure it's still there somewhere...
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Never found the second strip. Did find a parts car in my hometown that in exchange for pulling out the Corsa dash the owner gave me the 2 strips. One was really rusty on the back side, the other had a little at both ends where it does not show. Cleaned up nice and is now attached to the driver's side rear panel. My mom gave me an Easter present of enough to buy 2 new front panels. They are on order. I got rid of the venturi dribble but seem to have a mains problem on one side or the other, suspect the passenger side due to results when covering carb air inlet. More fun to come.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Guess what I found? The metal strip, but the ones I got for free I used one of them it looks fine. Got the driver's side rear door panel installed. Looks nice. I also found the "Mains" issue on the carbs...the U shaped portion of the throttle shaft assembly that sets the throttle opening when it's on the fast idle cam I had adjusted, but it moved to a place where it would rub the throttle link clip right off the rod and only the passenger side carb would open. :redface: Should be fine now. Gotta take it out and test drive.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

New Clark's front door panels arrived today. :)
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

No pictures?

:dontknow:

:pray:
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

"No pictures?"
Not yet. Outer cardboard of shipping had a big gouge in it, but they were undamaged inside Whew.. My work keeps me pretty busy along with honey-dos but I did manage to re-set my carbs now that I fixed the issue of the clip getting stripped off the primary.. oops. I had to turn down both idle screws about 3 turns then it settled right in. I gave it a bath and I'll drive it to work tomorrow. Rear door panels are in, but the weekend will have to arrive and we'll see how I feel after Pfizer #2 Saturday morning. I have to strip the emblems and strips off the old panels and attach before reinstalling the new ones. No more red vinyl showing through. :)
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Took the wife and the Corvair out Saturday night to a local informal car show, beautiful night, car ran great, but haven't put the new door panels in yet. Had my second COVID vaccine (Pfizer) Saturday morning, and my immune system was doing it's job Sunday. Feeling much better today so will likely get busy on replacing those door panels this week.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Got one of the 2 new door panels on, driver's side. Thought the long metal strips were glued on like the small strips on the rear seat panels, so started to use a box cutter to remove the strip from the old panel. Turned it over and see it has metal spikes to bend to remove. Oh well, wasn't using the old ones again anyway, severely water damaged backing and the black vinyl dye rubbed off in several places. Had to finish up some lawn and plant sprinkler repairs so 3 of 4 are finished. Looking really nice.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Ok, pictures or it didn't happen. Finished installing the passenger side door panel, it went a bit faster then the driver's side since I knew more about what I was doing. Old door panel not as bad as driver's side, less water damage to the backing
old door panel.jpg
New door panel with emblem and metal trim installed. Map pockets are a bit bigger on these than original so metal trim right up against the pocket but you can still get it open:
New door panel.jpg
And, finally, installed. I re-sealed the paper liner so water coming down from washing, etc. doesn't get to the back of the new panels as easily.
door panel installed.jpg
Rear panels look as good as the fronts, but didn't take pics.
Beers

Post by Beers »

Very nice! What did you re-seal the paper with?
1963 Monza Spyder convertible
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

:tu: :chevy:
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Beers wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:52 pm Very nice! What did you re-seal the paper with?
I just used some of the metalized air conditioning tape on the edges. There was plain masking tape under them and no more sticky along the bottom edges. We'll see how that works, I've used it in several different applications and had good results, it lasts a lot longer then regular tape too.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”