Considering fuel injection.
Any feedback?
Recommendation of a manufacturer?
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Fuel injection?

Post by azdave »

Ted Brown has the most plug-n-play setup you'll find for a Corvair engine. Many of people have built their own after hundreds of hours of tinkering but not many have succeeded like Ted if you want a proven install. I' don't have one of his systems but know people seem very pleased with them. Clark's Corvair sells his systems too.

https://www.corvair-efi.com/
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

river_side wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:12 am I have a 64 110 hp 4 speed.
Considering fuel injection.
Any feedback?
Recommendation of a manufacturer?
Fuel injection has advantages over carburetors as far as driveability and starting, but you won't see any additional power.

If I could get an off the shelf EFI from a major company with long term support I'd probably use it. The Ted Brown setup, as well as Rad Sedman's system, relies on one individual to support it. Based on what I've read on the forums, Ted's first gen system got good reviews, but he stopped making it because some of the parts became difficult to find. He has now developed a second generation system using different parts. So what do the first gen folks do if they need parts?

Having repaired both carburetors and EFI, either can have issues. EFI tends to be more reliable and tolerant of today's fuels, BUT when there are issues it can be expensive and difficult to fix based on my experience.
river_side

Post by river_side »

Brown says "off-road use only"
just "legalize"?
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Actually with the Ted Brown system you will get more power because the carburetor bodies flow a lot better with all the guts removed.
There is a difference between being able to buy entire throttle bodies in quantity to supply a vendor and getting misc parts to fix a system you have. I doubt there will be any issues keeping his older systems running. You can still get injectors, throttle body rebuild kits etc for his first system. I would bet on his being easier to get parts for than custom systems from name brand dealers. They will just quit making the parts and you will be out of luck. His parts are from regular production GM vehicles.
Last edited by joelsplace on Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

river_side wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:52 pm Brown says "off-road use only"
just "legalize"?
His way of protecting himself legally.
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
Corvair-EFI

Post by Corvair-EFI »

Wow... you guys are my best salesman!!!

The Off-Road statement is legalese used by all EFI companies. All of our components have been tested for at least a year on running cars before we pull the trigger on incorporation into our setup. I have boxes and boxes that I spent thousands of $$$ on various parts that didn't make it into the 2nd Generation EFI because they had to meet these criteria.

Dependable: Why we mostly use GM and Bosch branded parts.
Availability: Parts in stock at FLAPS and from a popular vehicle so they will be available for years
Price: We look for parts that keep the price low so that EFI is not just a dream.

The only part that is not off-the-shelf is the ECM/wiring harness. This ECM is widely available and still being manufactured today and is without issue. I usually keep about 10 in stock, but so far that has not been an issue as we have not had a single ECM failure..."knock" "knock" knock" yet. We can always get parts from me, but again... repairs have not been an issue/reported.

The TBI is a Corvair carb that is converted to a TBI and with the venturi tube gone, there is less resistance to slow the airflow down. We can also bore those to 1.25" which increases the airflow even more.

Clarks Corvair DOES sell our 2 TBI kits for EM, LM Car, and FC. If you need 4 TBI, bored TBI, or something out of the ordinary, you need to come through us. They do not offer any advice, parts, or support.

What's next: We currently use an ECM controlled Bosch VAG coil for ignition connected to the Corvair "locked-out" distributor. We are testing the GM LS2/LS3 coil module which will allow you to use your factory Corvair Coil or any round after-market coils. At this point, the only way to tell it's not a carb'ed engine is seeing the fuel injection on the side of the TBI. We will offer the Corvair factory coil set up as an option closer to the summer/fall of 2021. No failures of the Bosch VAG style coil have been reported as of now.

We are looking for a Turbo: We are looking for a turbo car with a working engine/turbo that works within driving distance of Anderson, SC. Call me for details if you are interested.

When people call and ask, I tell them to go to the website and look around and mostly look at the install page as it tells a lot of what happens during the conversion. https://www.corvair-efi.com/reference/i ... ion-guide/

This latest design (2nd Gen) is one I am truly proud of as it is simple, dependable, and looks like a Corvair. We are currently behind about 2 to 3 weeks on orders due to Covid, but I am back to full steam.

Ted
Ted Brown
Brown Injection Systems, LLC
Anderson, SC
www.corvair-efi.com
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Thanks for the information Ted.

An EFI and modern turbo with wastegate would be a great improvement to the Corvair set up. I've read about Ford's development of the old 2.3ltre four turbo. Their biggest advance was dumping the carburetor and installing EFI.

Good luck with the turbo setup.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”