GPS Speedometer

All Models and Years
ranger372

GPS Speedometer

Post by ranger372 »

Hello all,

My factory speedometer has failed and in need of a rebuild. Rebuilders are out there, seems the going price for a rebuild of mine is about $300. Other gauges are also failing. So I am looking at alternatives. It looks to me that all the aftermarket mechanical speedo's I've looked at at are all calibrated at 1000 revs at 60mph. The Corvair is 825 revs. I am now looking to go the GPS route.
Is the GPS the best route to pursue?

The car is a '65 Corsa W/Turbo and I would like to modernize, yet stay with the Analog design. I've searched the internet and have found GPS speedo units (Chinese) for less then $100, and better American units for WELL over that. I'm starting my search with the Speedo and the adding other Gauges onto that, staying with the same design and manufacturer.

Other folks on this site that have modernized all of the gauges in a Corsa, what brand have you used? Are you happy with your choice? Problems With fit? Did you stay with the black face gauges or go with white? If possible could you post Photos.

I intend to purchase Performance Corvairs gauge kit. 3 3/8" dia. - Speedo & Tach, 2 1/16" - Clock, Fuel, Cyl. Head Temp & Manifold Inches. Maybe a dumb question, but is Manifold inches the same as 'Boost?

Thank you in advance,
Steve D.

I've posted this question on the Corvair Center site also, Please do not be offended
66vairguy

Re: GPS Speedometer

Post by 66vairguy »

Seth at Performance Corvair makes a nice adapter plate. Yes the Corvair speedo runs off the front tire at 825 revolutions per mile. I recall the VW bugs also used that ratio so check VDO.

The Corvair Center forum had a big discussion about this recently.

Most say the "cheapy" China GPS units are junk. GPS accuracy is poor unless the receiver can track multiple satellites. Most GPS speedometers don't work well installed in a METAL dashboard of old cars. A buddy used a programmable pulse speedometer and bought a GPS receiver that outputs a pulsed signal. Push speedo button, drive a measured mile, push button and you're good to go. He mounted the GPS module on TOP of the dashboard near the windshield and covered it with a cloth cover to keep the sun from heating it up. That was years ago and it still works fine.

I like the original instruments for the look, but it's expensive getting them rebuilt. Some like modern instruments in old cars and that's also fine.

Good luck
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Want a cheap way out, and you will always know where you are, Get a Garmin GPS unit and stick it to the windshield:) Nice accurate GPS speed, speed limit info and accurate updatable mapping (Make sure to buy a LMS,,,lifetime maps unit), along with a monster searchable database of roadside attractions and businesses. Of course your phone can also do this and you mount it on the dash:0
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: Here are a couple of GPS sample screens from TomTom and Garmin that show the GPS vehicle speed display. Simple windshield mounts with a suction cup setup. The TomTom unit attaches to this mount via magnetic mount, so removal/reinstallation is easy to permit hiding/securing the unit when parked in public areas to discourage thieves.

TomTom Go Supreme 6 Inch GPS Navigation Device
(I have one in my 1966 Monza Sedan (with a failed Monza speedometer in the dash). The TomTom GPS unit can receive software updates in the car in my driveway or garage via my WiFi network router in my living room.

Garmin DriveSmart 65, Built-In Voice-Controlled GPS Navigator with 6.95” High-Res Display

:link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tomtom+gps+n ... ts-a-p_1_6
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

I have a GPS speedo in my '65 Corsa turbo. I swapped all stock gauges out for digital ones. I'm using Seth's bracket. Like you, my stock speedo wasn't accurate. I tried to get it repaired - still didn't work right. I ended up with a Summit racing GPS speedo and sender.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2981-2b
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-800108

I have had these installed for a couple of years and so far they work great.

There are 2 issues however.

(1) I normally do not keep my battery connected when my car is garaged.This means that the sender has to sync with a GPS sat before it works. This can take a few minutes during which you don't have any speed indicator.

(2) Finding a place to mount the sender might pose a problem. I wanted it mounted on my dash next to my phone microphone. The problem was I could not run the sender wire through the grill because the connector would not fit. I ended up cutting the wire and reconnecting it under the dash.
Attachments
IMG_1048.jpg
IMG_1048.jpg (163.43 KiB) Viewed 922 times
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Instead of disconnecting the battery keep a Battery Minder on it. The battery will last much longer and be fully charged all the time.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
NADER'S NEMESIS

Post by NADER'S NEMESIS »

Here is my effort, GPS speedo and a mix of other guages , a little crowded but it fits my needs .
Attachments
84E4A9B4-3E9C-4F0A-8C32-81E828AC3E22.jpeg
65 Monza Hybrid Build ,
3.8 Turbo Buick V6 , MS3 Pro.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Wow. That's nice!
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:tu: Nice, but who makes those gauges???
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
NADER'S NEMESIS

Post by NADER'S NEMESIS »

:sad5: Thanks, for your comments. Those are Speed Hut , a little pricey ,but I tried to go with a Corsa dash but couldn’t get all gauges fit into that cluster , so the Monza dash worked better in the sense that Speed Hut offered quad cluster choices. So currently have a spare Corsa dash to work with on another project . All said and done , the Speed Hut took some challenges to get fitted thou.
65 Monza Hybrid Build ,
3.8 Turbo Buick V6 , MS3 Pro.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”