Is this a Factory Antenna?

All Models and Years
gbullman

Is this a Factory Antenna?

Post by gbullman »

Trying to sort out the rear antenna on my newly acquired 66 Corvair Corsa. The antenna is mounted on the left rear fender which I'm not sure that is the correct location. The antenna angles back at about 45 degrees. The attached pictures show the mounting holes, the bottom of the antenna, the nut / coupling that holds the back of the antenna down and that the cable attaches to, the cable that is routed through the car and finally a side view of the antenna.

I think I have everything to get this to go back together and will likely give that a try.

This antenna doesn't look anything like the ones in Clark's catalog so thinking this is some sort of aftermarket antenna.

Anyone seen one of these before? Any chance of getting something to cover those holes and hook up to the existing cable (hence why I think I'll be putting it back together)?

Thanks
Attachments
Fender.jpeg
Antenna-Bottom.jpeg
Nut-Connection.jpeg
Cable.jpeg
Antenna-Side.jpeg
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
joelsplace

Re: Is this a Factory Antenna?

Post by joelsplace »

That is not a factory antenna or location. The factory rear antenna was on the right side and used a single hole.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

Thanks for confirming, I was kind of thinking it wasn't factory
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Agreed you have an incorrect antenna and location.

In 65 the antenna was mounted on the psg. side on the front fender/cowl area. The rear antenna was optional - also on the psg. side.

In 66 (although there is some disagreement) all Corvairs with radios had the antenna on the REAR psg. side.

Also note the 66 model year was the ONLY model year you could order an optional rear power antenna. One of those options that was not common on the Corvair.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

"In 66 (although there is some disagreement) all Corvairs with radios had the antenna on the REAR psg. side."
I've never heard that. I'll have to survey my cars.
Very interesting.
Northlake, TX
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

joelsplace wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:17 pm "In 66 (although there is some disagreement) all Corvairs with radios had the antenna on the REAR psg. side."
I've never heard that. I'll have to survey my cars.
Very interesting.
I should have checked one book against another. One book said the majority of cars with radio's were equipped with the rear manual antenna in 66, but the RPO list in another book indicates the rear antenna was an option in both 65 and 66. It shows few were ordered in 66, yet both my 66 cars (and one had few options) both have rear mounted antenna's as do others in our club. In fact not one 66 in our club has a front mounted antenna!! Seems odd for an option that supposedly was only ordered on about 12% of 66 cars (per the RPO list someone created). Considering the loss of 60's Chevrolet USA production information (Canada GM kept all their records) this may be another mystery.

Joel - let us know what your inventory has.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I'm curious. I have a couple I can check. :-)
Northlake, TX
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

66vairguy wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:14 pm In 66 (although there is some disagreement) all Corvairs with radios had the antenna on the REAR psg. side.
Never heard that rear antenna claim before. I have 3 66 Corsas with front antennas. Haven't looked closely to see if they appear OEM or PO installed.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

azdave wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:52 am
66vairguy wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:14 pm In 66 (although there is some disagreement) all Corvairs with radios had the antenna on the REAR psg. side.
Never heard that rear antenna claim before. I have 3 66 Corsas with front antennas. Haven't looked closely to see if they appear OEM or PO installed.
Thanks for the input Dave. Maybe in 66 GM was pushing the dealers to take cars with the rear antenna option to use up stock.

Dealers did install radios at the dealership vs. ordering them from the factory to make more money. I have a Motorola unit from a LM someone gave me that is almost identical to the factory DELCO unit in appearance. It had a very nice bezel, but the opening is off just enough so it won't fit a DELCO unit.

The 66 factory assembly manual does show BOTH the front and rear antenna units, but the rear has a note saying "Installed by Fisher Body". I'm wondering if the that meant it was not available as a dealer installed option. I'll have to dig out my "Dealer Options" book.
plrgpr

Post by plrgpr »

My 66 has a front mount, pass side antenna and appears original.
Gary Roberson
66 Vert 140 4-sp Corsa “clone”
monza66coupe

Post by monza66coupe »

Yup, my 66 Monza has factory antenna on pass side....AM radio
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

Solved my problem! Cut a new "gasket" out of 1/16 rubber, found spacers and bolts to allow me to re-attach the aftermarket antenna the car has been drilled for. Everything went back together pretty smoothly, it looks good and is tight. Tested out FM on the radio and it is pretty reasonable reception.

For now I'm checking this one off the list.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

gbullman wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:01 pm Solved my problem! Cut a new "gasket" out of 1/16 rubber, found spacers and bolts to allow me to re-attach the aftermarket antenna the car has been drilled for. Everything went back together pretty smoothly, it looks good and is tight. Tested out FM on the radio and it is pretty reasonable reception.

For now I'm checking this one off the list.
Glad it worked out. If you every have the opportunity, then check the front and rear passenger fenders for an antenna hole that was filled. If none, then the dealer probably installed an aftermarket antenna. That would be interesting.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”