Newbie with Corvair trike powerglide issue

93 Tri-Vair

Newbie with Corvair trike powerglide issue

Post by 93 Tri-Vair »

Just bought a 1993 assembled Tri-Vair trike. Bought a couple of manuals that make things a little clearer. It has 62-63 102 hp engine with a 1961 rear differential. When I turn the key the starter clicks once and then all the dash lights go out. No juice at all. It had started once before and with throttle in moved in Reverse! It had been setting for at least 5 years. Help with or from a Tri-Vair owner or anyone that can help with my project would be greatly appreciated. Dave in SD
terribleted

Re: Newbie with Corvair trike powerglide issue

Post by terribleted »

The symptom you describe is usually a bad wiring connection somewhere or a weak battery. Start by cleaning and verifying the battery connections and the condition of the battery. Next check the connections at the starter. Next you want to trace the power wire that feeds +12V to the ignition switch. A bad connection anywhere along this wire might cause what you describe. Look for corrosion in any plugs that are present etc.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
93 Tri-Vair

Post by 93 Tri-Vair »

Found one bad connection but my new battery is refusing to hold a charge. Getting a new battery tomorrow. Thank you for your help.
93 Tri-Vair

Post by 93 Tri-Vair »

Got the battery issue taken care of and ran it for about 10 minutes this PM. 2 questions: IS the oil drain plug left hand threads, it has an L on it? Put carb kits in the Rochester carbs, should the air mixture screws be the same # of turns out? One carb is 1 1/2 turns out and the other is 3 1/2 turns out. Thanks in advance!
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You put kits in the carbs? Did you di it with the assistance of a Corvair Shop Manual? If not how did you set the float levels, pumps rod, choke pull offs, fast idle cam etc.?. The idle mixture screws are set 1.5-2 turns out initially and adjusted per the manual for best engine vacuum at idle, outlined in section 6 Engine Tuneup of the 1965 and later manuals and section 7 engine tune up in the 1964 and earlier manuals. The procedure is essentially the same on all. You balance the carbs, set the timing and set curb idle to spec, then you hook a vacuum gauge between the 2 bottom carb vacuum sources (in place of the choke pull offs...If the carbs are manual choke carbs with no pull offs you can connect the vacuum gauge to the vacuum balance tube at the front of the engine) and adjust both carbs identically to achieve highest steady vacuum at specified idle speed.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

93 Tri-Vair

Post by 93 Tri-Vair »

I put kits in per the the Corvair manual but only adjusted the float height. I will go back and do the other adjustments. As it is now it I have to feather the throttle a few times to get it running smoothly. Will get back to you when the adjustments are done. Thanks for the help. Dave
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I've never seen a LH thread drain plug and definitely not on a Corvair. Maybe a Saab?
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
93 Tri-Vair

Post by 93 Tri-Vair »

Adjusted the idle speed and then discovered that there isn't a rod to control the choke on either carb. So I called it good for the day. It is still starting in gear, forward or reverse.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

93 Tri-Vair wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:24 pm Adjusted the idle speed and then discovered that there isn't a rod to control the choke on either carb. So I called it good for the day. It is still starting in gear, forward or reverse.
If it is a stick shift starting in gear would be normal. If it is an automatic the stock Corvair shifter has a neutral safety switch built in which could be broken or bypassed.

Return to “Site Specific Topics”