New member, NJ; First Corvair, '65

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
glecharles

New member, NJ; First Corvair, '65

Post by glecharles »

This week, I'm buying a 1965 Monza 110 sedan w/Powerglide automatic; one owner and only 37k miles. It sat in a garage in NJ for ~30 years, ; needs some TLC but has minimal rust, engine runs well, seems to be all original everything. Even has the original title, owners manual, and hubcaps!

I've joined both CORSA and NJACE, and been poking around this forum for insights, but wondering if there's a good beginners resource for a new owner?

I'm getting the mechanicals checked out first thing and definitely know all of the seals, weatherstripping, and tires need to be replaced ASAP, but not sure the ideal order of things beyond that.

Looking forward to learning from and engaging with this community!
IMG_20201018_114925108_HDR.jpeg
IMG_20201018_130327_960.jpeg
IMG_20201018_115038171_HDR.jpeg
Sent from my moto g(7) using Corvair Forum mobile app
Last edited by glecharles on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1965 Corvair Monza 110, Sport Sedan w/ Powerglide | New Jersey
66vairguy

Re: New member, NJ; First Corvair, '65

Post by 66vairguy »

Not bad for N.J. weather. Now that you are in the Corvair world a 4 door "Sport Sedan" is often called a "Moredoor". I have one that I didn't really want as I had another Corvair, but it was a solid car with factory A/C and the price was right. I've really come to like the car. It gets more attention at cars and coffee than my convertible!!!

I'm surprised nobody replied yet. As is often said here - advice depends on your abilities. What can you do, vs. hiring someone to do it.

Anyway ---- I've had a number of old cars that I buy in sad shape and bring them back. I do most of my work, otherwise it would be too expensive. The Corvair, unlike a Camaro, takes about the same money to restore, but sells for a LOT less.

After 30 years the brake master and wheel cylinders are probably corroded - you'll need new (don't bother to rebuild cylinders that are corroded).

The fuel tank is probably full of rust and crude. If so it's cheaper to put a new one in vs. trying to clean and fix an old fuel tank. And while the tank is out replace the brake line above it (can't be accesssed with the fuel tank in the car). NEVER RUN AN ENGINE ON OLD GASOLINE as it can cause the valves to seize in the guides!!! Been reported numerous times.

Change the oil, filter, and transmission fluids. I would drop the oil pan and scrap off the old crude or the new oil will get dirty FAST.

The carburetors may need to be dismantled and cleaned. After that get the engine running and you can figure out what other issues need attention. The old pushrod "O" rings didn't last long and leak oil. The new Viton "O" rings stand up well.

Don't get too many things going at once or you may get overwhelmed and loose interest.

Other's will have more to say.

Don't tear the engine apart until you figure out if it runs and do a compression check.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

"NEVER RUN AN ENGINE ON OLD GASOLINE as it can cause the valves to seize in the guides!!! Been reported numerous times."
Where? I've never heard of that. 30 year old fuel is long past any ability to run.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I posted this for another new owner...
:welcome2: :wave: :wave: :clap: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

:zzzz: A good dusting, some fresh fluids, a new battery, and new tires may be all she needs after the long sleep!

:idea: Removing your car from storage/Reviving a Dead Corvair
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=5030

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, MA is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair interests, and your goals for your Corvair. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Detailed pictures of your Corvair — including the engine compartment — would possibly be useful. Knowing your location may also suggest possibilities in supporting your Corvair interests.

:welcome: :welcome2:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Bruins_Fan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Bruins_Fan »

Welcome to CF!
'66 Monza Convertible 110hp Powerglide
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Always good to have another ‘65 owner [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
glecharles

Post by glecharles »

Took delivery today, straight to my mechanic to look it over and see what's what. I haven't worked on any car in nearly 30 years but am looking forward to getting my hands dirty with this one.

Anyone familiar with registering an old car in NJ? I'm not looking for the historic angle, I'm planning to drive this casually, but not sure how a 55-year-old car passes inspection, etc.
IMG_20201022_110558444_HDR~2.jpeg

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Vehicles Exempt From Inspection

Exempted Vehicles

Certain vehicles are exempt from inspections, but they do vary, so be sure to check what is required for yours.

The following vehicles are exempt from inspection requirements (N.J.A.C. 13:20-7.2):
  • Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 1995 & older with a GVWR 8,500 pounds or less.
  • Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2007 & older with a GVWR 8,501 to 14,000 pounds.
  • Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2013 & older with a GVWR 14,001 pounds or more.
  • Historic motor vehicles
  • Approved Collector Vehicles which are less than 25 years old
  • 100% Electric vehicles
  • Motorcycles
  • Motorized bicycles
  • Farm tractors and traction equipment
  • Farm machinery and implements
  • Fire trucks having a GVWR of more than 8,500 pounds
  • In-transit construction equipment
  • All Diesel-fueled motor vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 8,501 pounds to 17,999 that are plated commercial. The owner or lessee is required to inspected these vehicles.
  • All diesel powered vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 8,501 to 17,999 that are plated passenger, not for profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck except buses
  • All diesel powered vehicles model year 1996 and older that are plated passenger, not for profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck except buses
  • Omnibuses which are subject to inspection by the Commission‘s Commercial Bus Inspection and Investigation Unit
  • School buses which are subject to inspection by the Commission‘s School Bus Inspection Unit
  • Tactical military vehicles operated on Federal installations within this State
Historic vehicles
General inspections are not required for historic or collector vehicles. To be classified as a "historic vehicle" it must be:
  • At least 25 years old
  • Must not be modified from original manufacturer specification
  • Specially registered and display QQ plates
Collector vehicles
To be classified as a "collector vehicle" make sure that the vehicle:
  • Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
  • Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
  • Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
  • Is not a vehicle with an elevated chassis height subject to an inspection in accordance with NJAC 13:20-37
To qualify for an exemption:
  • A vehicle must first be prequalified as a collector vehicle. Click here to see if your vehicle qualifies as a collector vehicle.
  • Visit an MVC Agency to purchase a voucher for a special decal to mark the vehicle exempt from safety and emission inspection; fee is $25 for an initial voucher and $25 to renew. You must provide the approval letter from the MVC I/M Support to the agency when initially applying collector vehicle status. The approval letter is not required for renewal.
  • Take the collector vehicle to a State Inspection Station where the inspector will verify the odometer reading
:link: https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/inspection/exemptinsp.htm

Vehicle Registration

:link: https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicles/reginitial.htm
Brad Bodie
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

joelsplace wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:44 pm "NEVER RUN AN ENGINE ON OLD GASOLINE as it can cause the valves to seize in the guides!!! Been reported numerous times."
Where? I've never heard of that. 30 year old fuel is long past any ability to run.
Gee Joel you need to go search on the CCF. Over the years folks have reported this issue. Even with fuel stabilizers gasoline the "reliable" limit on gasoline in about six months depending on storage. Plenty of information out there if you go look.
glecharles

Post by glecharles »

Thanks for the welcome and helpful links! Apparently a '65 is exempt from inspection which was a nice surprise.

Initial diagnosis shows the car's in pretty solid shape, no surprises. Original tires and wheels need to be replaced, obviously, and a full tune-up, but everything else appears to be solid; minimal rust, no leaks. The interim owner had already replaced a few things (carbs, fuel tank, fuel pump, master cylinder, muffler), so there might not be much more critical work to do.

For wheels, we're looking at Pacer 144S Silver Rallyes (15") and Cooper CS5s.

Assuming no mechanical issues pop up in the short term, I'd like to restore the interior, replace all of the weatherstripping, and get a new paint job.
IMG_20201023_095451_845.jpeg
IMG_20201023_092814567.jpeg
IMG_20201023_092718887.jpeg
IMG_20201023_092703756.jpeg

joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Gee Joel you need to go search on the CCF. Over the years folks have reported this issue. Even with fuel stabilizers gasoline the "reliable" limit on gasoline in about six months depending on storage. Plenty of information out there if you go look.
I did a search for "valves seize" and got 4 hits that were 8-12 years old from 2 people. I don't buy it. I have had valves stick but only on fresh gas. Gas had nothing to do with it.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Exemptions
Vehicles more than 35 years old are exempt from the annual safety inspection.

Old cars must be inherently safe. New cars MUST be inspected, however.

I guess exempting old cars from safety inspections must make sense to some bureaucrat somewhere. :clap: :dontknow: :not worthy:

Since all Corvairs are over 50 years old... NO INSPECTION IN OUR STATE!
The following states require a periodic inspection by a licensed inspection station: Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia, plus Washington, DC

All together, there are seven total states that have no required vehicle inspections: Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, South Carolina, and South Dakota. Michigan and Mississippi also generally don't require inspections, except for in some extremely specific scenarios.

Car Inspection Requirements By State: A Compendium

:link: https://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/car_i ... ndium.html
Brad Bodie
glecharles

Post by glecharles »

New shoes finally came in! Next up, tuning the carbs and seeing what condition the engine really is in.
IMG_20201114_102404_363.jpeg

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

VN31 Smoothie Steel Chrome Wheels on 1966 Monza Sedan.jpg
VN31 Smoothie Steel Chrome Wheels on 1966 Monza Sedan.jpg
Federal Super Steel 657 Tires on 1966 Monza Sedan
Federal Super Steel 657 Tires on 1966 Monza Sedan
1966 Monza Sedan Wheels and Tires.pdf
1966 Monza Sedan Wheels and Tires
(949.05 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

I bought this 1966 Monza Sedan with 110 hp engine, factory A/C and Powerglide transmission from a Southern California BMW dealership in September (the seller was the General Manager of the BMW dealership). I switched wheels to a set of Foose Knuckle 17" x 7" wheels fitted with Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate 215/45ZR17 Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires. The original chrome wheels and Federal SS-657 205/60R14 All Season tires were almost new, but I wanted 17" aluminum rims and the Goodyear tires, so I will likely sell the chrome wheels and tires that the car came with.

The Monza sedan was originally a California car (built at the Van Nuys, CA plant) and had 3 previous owners (all in Southern California).

1966 Corvair Monza Sedan & 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible.jpg
1966 Corvair Monza Sedan & 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible.jpg
Left-click image to enlarge for better viewing.

I bought this 1966 Corsa convertible from a Florida seller back in 2012 when I first joined the Corvair Forum....

Before I bought my California Monza Sedan, I tried to bid on the 1966 Monza Sedan below at a North Carolina auction, but the bidding rapidly shot up to $19,500 and I dropped out. With the auction fees the final selling price on this 140 hp sedan with factory A/C was over $20,000!
1966 Monza Sedan 140 hp Sold at NC Auction for about $20,000
1966 Monza Sedan 140 hp Sold at NC Auction for about $20,000
So welcome to the "More Door" Corvair group! Please keep us posted on your progress.
Brad Bodie
glecharles

Post by glecharles »

Both of your cars look amazing. I hope mine will eventually look half as good!

Sent from my SM-T290 using Corvair Forum mobile app

gbullman

Post by gbullman »

glecharles wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:47 am Took delivery today, straight to my mechanic to look it over and see what's what. I haven't worked on any car in nearly 30 years but am looking forward to getting my hands dirty with this one.

Anyone familiar with registering an old car in NJ? I'm not looking for the historic angle, I'm planning to drive this casually, but not sure how a 55-year-old car passes inspection, etc.IMG_20201022_110558444_HDR~2.jpeg

I will be picking up a 66 Corsa Convertible tomorrow and I’m familiar with registering older cars in NJ. Before registering my first classic I called Trenton and was told that cars with Historic plates are not to be driven at night and technically are only to be driven to or from “events” or repairs. What I understand in practice is most police departments are not necessarily aware of those restrictions or don’t care to enforce them. Unfortunately some police departments have a reputation for enforcing those restrictions (I’ve been told Somerville and that area is one such place).

I have registered my classics with regular registrations and insured them as classics. I have no legal restrictions on how I use the cars but do have an agreement with my insurance company on how I will use them. NJ did away with emissions checks at least 5 years ago for vehicles 1995 and older and safety inspections long before that so you will not have to get your car inspected. One advantage of Historic plates is they are a one time fee but I feel like the $40 or so a year is worth the peace of mind that I won’t get harassed coming home at night or being out during rush hour.

Good luck with your car, I’m in northern NJ and really looking forward to driving this new to me car.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible

Return to “Introductions”