Someone put a champion spark plug in my 65 sports coupe!

All Models and Years
screwrod@gmail.com

Someone put a champion spark plug in my 65 sports coupe!

Post by screwrod@gmail.com »

Everyone I have a situation here, I was just going over my newly bought car and found one of the plugs number 4, has been replaced with a champion l87y plug probably due to the fact that they stripped out the threads on the smaller Bosch plugs I have in there, because it's hard to get to I suppose they must have re tapped it for a bigger plug ,so my question is is this the right plug for a corvair and or what can be done?
66vairguy

Re: Someone put a champion spark plug in my 65 sports coupe!

Post by 66vairguy »

Most stripped spark plug holes can be repaired. With most modern engines using aluminum heads this kind of repair is well documented now.

Others with more experience like T.Ted will provide details, but TimeSert is highly regarded IF you install the insert correctly!!! Ford first approved of TimeSert products for factory warranty repairs. I do use Heli-coils for some repairs, but for spark plugs and head studs the TimeSert is superior and durable - but again a correct installation is critical.

The type of spark plug discussion can seem endless and I won't comment on a list. The ONLY spark plug I will not use is the Champion with the silver colored plating because I've had them seize in aluminum heads more often than other brands. Just me.

Oh! don't waste your money on high end platinum (or other expensive alloys) electrode spark plugs. They work fine in modern cars with long intervals before replacement, but offer no advantage for a stock Corvair engine - IMHO.
screwrod@gmail.com

I really appreciate the quick response, since this champion plug has been in this car for for a while cuz it's very dirty obviously no one wanted to address it but it does fit good in there so my question is is this champion plug for a corvair? Cuz I would love to just find another champion plug and be done with it
screwrod@gmail.com

right now I have Bosch platinum's in there they look like they're in good shape if I could find something compatible to that it would be awesome
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

What spark plug is it? An L87y appears to be the same diameter as the Corvair plugs at 14MM.

If the issue is that the threads at the top of the hole are gone and the longer L87Y plugs catches some threads then a Timesert spark plug insert is the best fix. The longer tip plug might cause piston damage over time from the flame front being too close to the piston, and if it is only engaging a few threads at the bottom of the hole it may eventually blow out of the head.

If the plug there now is larger diameter (hole tapped out to 18MM like the plugs used in some Ford V8's) then a standard Timesert may not work as the hole diameter might be too large already. In this case you Install their Bigsert insert or have the hole heli-arc welded and re-drilled. Timesert can be installed engine in the car for sure, Bigsert maybe but maybe not.

If the hole has been tapped to the larger size. Install a plug that matches the heat range and length of the normal plugs and drive on. I had a buddy that ran an oversized plug like this for many years as a daily driver with no issues. We used an Autolite branded plug that matched the heat range and reach of the correct plugs used in the other cylinders.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
screwrod@gmail.com

thanks for replying, turns out my eyesight isn't so good, on the spark plug is a sleeve that supposed to been loctite it into the block it came out on the spark plug so I have a couple options now but thanks again!
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

So it has a failed insert that came out with the plug. Situation is essentially the same as if the hole had been tapped out for an 18MM plug. I have taken these inserts that came out with plugs and put them on new plugs and re-inserted them in the past with pretty good results. Not really a repair, but, it can work. Just have to not tear up the threads on the insert when removing it from the existing plug, and of course the threads in the head for the insert must be good.. Some very high temp locktite might keep it in place the next time it is removed, or if the threads are nice on it and in the head you could just expect it to come out and use some anti seize compound when putting it back in installed on the new plug.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Ted gave some good practical advice. If you can get by without installing a new insert it's worth a try.

The "insert" coming out with the spark plug is usually due to improper insert installation, although some inserts have that issue even when installed properly. The insert MUST be below the head surface of the spark plug hole so the spark plug "seats" on the head surface, NOT the insert. Also the insert must be specifically designed for a spark plug hole or it may not "lock" in place.

The TimeSert for spark plug holes has a good reputation IF installed properly. Some auto parts stores will rent/loan the installation kit when you buy the inserts.
screwrod@gmail.com

It works! Loctite the insert back into the block got the old plug out put a new plug in! Thanks everybody for all the help I thought I was in big trouble, which I'm just trying to get this engine to fire up, at this point I'm pretty positive the carburetors need to be rebuilt, I can get it running ,but don't want to stay running and it's popping and stuff
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

If the carbs are dirty and the throttle levers do not move totally smoothly, I just rebuild them before I even try to start the engine. They are almost always in need of attention if the car has sat for even a year since being started. Heck they are often in need of attention even if the car has been run recently. These carbs are actually very simple, but somehow people screw them up all the time (likely do not own a GM shop manual). The step by step instructions for assembly and adjustment are in the 61 and 65 primary shop manuals as well as in some of the supplements. Follow the cookbook with a fresh rebuild kit and maybe a throttle shaft, (check to see if it is sloppy up and down in the carb base....it is what wears more than the cast base so replacing it solves this problem usually), and or choke pulloff and you are golden as long as nothing is stuck in an internal passage (clean is key).

screwrod@gmail.com

Totally awesome! I will definitely check into things you mentioned do you know if there is a better rebuild kit on the market?
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I have always used Clark's kits,

screwrod@gmail.com

Thank you sir!
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

The Clark's new throttle shafts work well. USUALLY most to the wear is on the throttle shaft, not the shaft holes in the carburetor base. Now most carburetors need a new shaft. although rarely a good used carburetor still turns up.

If the shaft holes in the carburetor base are too worn then don't use it. Find a good used base. A few have tried machining the holes and installing bushings, but you need proper equipment to align the bores. The cost of the fix vs. the cost of used carburetors has dampened the demand. That said one day finding a good used carburetors will come to and end.

Clark's has a lot of carburetor repari parts, but I've had issues with the top to base gasket (Clark's gasket is thick) shrinking and allowing fuel to "weep". I've been told the gasket from California Corvair works better, but it's on my list to try and I can't confirm that.
markdt

Post by markdt »

If you are still considering doing a proper repair on the insert, I highly recommend the Cal-van inserts. I used their kit to fix a blown out plug in the aluminum head of my Ford Excursion. With a quality air ratchet the process is very easy and there are good how to videos on youtube showing the process of finding tdc, drilling, and blowing out the shavings from the cylinder before jb welding the insert in.
1965 Monza convertible body melded with a 1966 Corsa drivetrain and interior to make a clone.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”