Gearbox and differential flip

All Models and Years
hentysnr

Gearbox and differential flip

Post by hentysnr »

I am putting this out there as I have been told this has been done, I do not know how successful/difficult the exercise was/is.
I am building a GT40 replica and intend using a big bore corvair engine in a mid mount position. Hence the flipping of the diff and transmission. I would appreciate any leads as to where I can go and do further research.
Thank you in advance :tu:
WHY DRIVE ANYTHING ELSE THAN A CORVAIR :emfront:

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'61 4dr 700 BIG BORE 3.2lt
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe
66vairguy

Re: Gearbox and differential flip

Post by 66vairguy »

It has been discussed on the CCF years ago. You can search there, but their search engine is poor, try Google.

Usually folks cut and rotate the bellhousing. Of course then the Corvair transaxle is upside down and that leads to issues. Some have use a Porsche transaxle.

Your project sounds interesting. Good luck.
hentysnr

Post by hentysnr »

I did a search and came up with this thread very interestinghttp://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,568432,page=1
Think I will be contacting the author and seeing if he will share further information, I am quite desperate to start the chassis build etc. I will be using a refurbished '62 front suspension
Attachments
20200404_155129.jpg
WHY DRIVE ANYTHING ELSE THAN A CORVAIR :emfront:

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'61 4dr 700 BIG BORE 3.2lt
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I assumed you're using the LM transaxle. If not that would be interesting.

The 65-69 front suspension is better in my opinion and has the same bolt in pattern as the 62. I recall in 62 the front sway bar was still an option. A front sway bar improves handling. The front sway bar was FINALLY standard in 64, but the retaining hardware is considered fragile. The LM (65-69) had the largest sway bar and the retaining hardware is much more robust. Another advantage of the LM front suspension is you can adjust the camber much easier with lower eccentrics. The 62 suspension must be adjusted at the top "A" arm and especially in a kit car can be a challenge. Another plus for the LM front suspension are bigger drums brakes and five lugs, making wheel choices easier.

Your car, your decision.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Hmmm. Engine forward of transaxle sounds like a reverse rotation engine is the simple answer. Cooling air flow will need to be closely considered as well.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Deadwolf

Post by Deadwolf »

I think I saw a reverse rotation engine built for a Bi-plane on Facebook or something. Apparently changing the direction of rotation on the flat 6 is something the airplane guys do all the time.
1963 Impala SS convertible project
1963 Monza Spyder project
1963 Impala coupe Pro Street Project
1964 Monza Parts car
1963 Impala hard top sedan parts car

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”