New member and now new owner

Anything Corvair related
Zorm

New member and now new owner

Post by Zorm »

Hey folks, Zorm here.

So, will be picking up a 65 vert on Saturday. 140 engine with the 4 speed, all original. The PO had it for about 20 years and her father bought it back in 95, got a new top back then. So with a car this old and maybe not a whole ton of stuff done to it, (recent rear brake job and plugs.wires, points) besides driven maybe 2 miles every week for the past 20 years. What would be a good place to start to replace worn out stuff. Oh, the car has less than 60K miles.

its not leaking oil but i really don't want to wait till it does to try and find em. Suspension bushings? door seals? window felts? what about maintenance for the vert top? its powered and seems to be working well. Are there wiring kits out there, with a 50+year car, wiring could be brittle.

Thanks folks!
Last edited by Zorm on Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doug6423

Re: New member and soon to be new owner

Post by doug6423 »

I replaced all the fluids first. Mine sat for a decade plus so i had to do brakes and gas tank. After that I started on the suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Front license plate suggestion...

There are several CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters in Florida. Join one, and have some members utilize their Corvair-knowledgeable eyes to gaze upon your Corvair so they can use their experience and observations to suggest some actions. A thorough inspection and replacement of all fluids is a good start. Pull the brake drums and inspect the brakes. Consider an upgrade from a single master cylinder to a dual master cylinder. Flush the brake fluid, and drain/refill the transaxle. viewtopic.php?f=225&t=11165 Run a compression check to check the condition of the engine valves, rings, and head gaskets. Check the operation of everything electrical. Check the age and condition of the tires.

:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... w_page=145

Joining CORSA (Corvair Society of America) -- if you are not already a member -- and a local Corvair club chapter is another good way to see and to learn more about Corvairs. You might check out the CORSA chapter in your area. Contacting a local club and making Corvair-knowledgeable friends can often be a big help.
Image :link: https://www.corvair.org/index.php/compo ... =9&reset=0

Post some detailed pictures on the Corvair Forum. Perhaps some Forum members will spot something or offer some suggestions.

If the car has 13" tires, you might consider an upgrade to 14'', 15", etc. Many more-modern tire options are available in larger diameters, and 1965-1969 Corvairs respond well to better, larger tires and wheels — with improved handling and better braking.
:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

If the distributor still is using ignition points, you might consider an upgrade to a breakerless electronic ignition to reduce tune-up maintenance and improve reliability.
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=15101

People tend to neglect or ignore the universal joints in the half shafts. If yours lack zerk fitting (grease fittings) replacing the universal joints with good quality units might be wise.

The rear axle bearings are difficult to remove and service, and many have grease in them that is decades old.

ImageImage
:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... w_page=167
See the comments on REBUILT BEARING UNITS and UNIVERSAL JOINTS on the bottom of the page.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I've been down the "original" car road a few times. You didn't mention were the car spent it's life - that makes a big difference.

Some change the fluids and just drive em/fix em as they go. I hate dealing with an old car that is unreliable. I change the gas tank and fuel lines, change the brake cylinders and brake lines. Install new wiring. Rebuild the suspension. THEN I work on the interior and body.

The engine bay harness is almost always a mess from oil and heat and at a minimum should be replaced. The tunnel harness stands up the best, but the connector pins do corrode. The main fuse box harness may be O.K., but if the fuse box terminal are badly corroded then I'd replace that harness. Put a switch on the battery to disconnect it when parked in your garage - cheap fire insurance.

Just keep the top clean and don't use harsh cleaners. All tops get brittle with age and will fail, but keeping them out of the sun helps. I don't like a power top because an older top and back window are best preserved by stopping the top part way and folding it so it doesn't wrinkle or tear. Might as well just have a manual top - just me.

Good luck
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

Great input gents.

The PO told me that his father-in-law got the car back in 95 when he was in Oklahoma. Right now it resides in north central Florida, my home is as far west in florida you can go. There is rust bubbling up on the driver's door and some damage to the passenger's front fender.

Was planning on joining a Corvair club, any members in Pensacola? I really done see to many Corvairs around here, kinds like my full-size Jeep.

I am plan on changing the tires and rims to 15" aluminum rims. Not really wanting the skinny tires, what width is recommended? Also was looking at maybe cutting some off the springs to lower the car a little.

I was looking at the electronic dizzy upgrade, will keep the points one just in case "the balloon goes up" EMP can't kill the old stuff lol!

I saw a internal regulated alternator swap write up, will go that route soon.

Been thinking of the duel master brake cylinder, no need to swap to disk brakes since the large drum brakes stop these light cars just fine. One thought, power brakes needed? like maybe electric or some how, normal vac power brakes?

Definitely look at replacing the wiring, I'm actually in that stage of my 71 F250 restore. I haven't really looked but does anyone have a kit for these cars?

The car has a white top, white top boot but a black interior, I want to change the interior to white or maybe off white. With that said, is anyone running different seats? My wife's back is not too great and she would benefit from some lumbar or better, adjustable lumbar support. How about center console with drink holders front and back, or will I need to make my own, most of the aftermarket ones look cheap to me. For the 66 mustang I had, I made my own and with the full size jeeps I have had, fitting a console from other cars seem to work great. Got a console from a Caddy in my 83 Jeep cherokee right now.

So who is the better parts suppliers? I know for my Ford truck, there are several but Denis Carpenter is the better one for rubber stuff, LMC is not.

thanks for all the input!
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I think 205/60R15 makes the speedometer correct for the front. 215s are also a common size. Wider tires at the correct height are hard to get in 15s now.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

Picked up the car today, cold blooded but once warmed up, ran ok. I smell fuel, I had oil smoke coming up through defrost vents? Verified the PO did nothing to the car the last 20 years but had the rear brakes "done" 3 years ago and just recently replaced the cap / rotor, points and plugs. So where to start, fuel smell or oil smoking. Also has an exhaust leak. How hard is it to drop the tank and replace? i need to get the car up on ramps.

thanks
61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

Start with identifying where the fuel smell is coming from . Next, the engine probably needs a reseal(new viton seals). These would be for the pushrod tubes and oil cooler. You should tend to the exhaust leak at the same time. I would pull the Turkey roaster as well to make sure your engine is getting proper cooling with no blockage of the cooling fins.
The heat/defrost system by now will have and oil smell if it isn't cleaned/rebuilt and new duck hose installed. Sounds like a cool project. You will love it when it's all sorted. Enjoy the process.
First corvair in 1985
Have owned 4 corvairs since
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
61 Monza club coupe w/ 150 turbo
Anchorage,AK
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Zorm wrote:....I had oil smoke coming up through defrost vents....
The attached maintenance bulletin, Corvair Maintenance - Engine Fume Odor Diagnosis, may be helpful in correcting the problem. The Assembly Manual and Shop Manual sections that apply to the heater system are also attached.

Zorm wrote:....How hard is it to drop the tank and replace? i need to get the car up on ramps....
Fuel Tank Removal & Installation

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=5779

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, MA is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair interests, and your goals for your Corvair. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Detailed pictures of your Corvair — including the engine compartment — would possibly be useful. Knowing your location may also suggest possibilities in supporting your Corvair interests.

This is all I could find on the West Florida Corvair Club. Apparently they don't have a Web site...
Greetings to our friends with the West Florida Corvair Club!

To get more information about them - please contact Ed Lindsay, 5670 San Vair Street, Milton, FL. 32583, Phone: 850-994-2161, or E- mail: wfcc@mediacombb.net.

:welcome: :welcome2:
Attachments
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 23 times
Corvair Maintenance - Engine Fume Odor Diagnosis.pdf
Corvair Maintenance - Engine Fume Odor Diagnosis
(472.19 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - HEATER CONTROLS AND DUCTS.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - HEATER CONTROLS AND DUCTS
(3.05 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 15 - HEATER AND ACCESSORIES.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 15 - HEATER AND ACCESSORIES
(12.22 MiB) Downloaded 25 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Zorm

Re: New member and now new owner

Post by Zorm »

Alright, reached out to the WFCC, meeting Nov 15th. So, bbodie52 wants to know more.

I plan on using the car as a weekend driver, a shared duty with the 83 Jeep and 71 F250.

I plan on changing out the stock tires and wheels for maybe these with a little wider tires.
https://www.carid.com/vision-wheels/148 ... I8QAvD_BwE
I have the stock spoke hubcaps in the trunk for the current tire / wheel set up.

I also plan to get rid of the points dizzy, but keep it, just in case and get one of the HEI dizzys.

I am looking at getting all 4 carbs rebuilt/tuned.

Will be replacing the gas tank and filler neck and at the same time, replace all bushings in the front suspension, since I plan on dropping it all out to get to the tank.

I may be cutting 1" out of the springs up front after I get the wheels and tires replaced to lower the car but my 2 sons feel with the stock springs, she sits low enough already. I will be replacing the rear suspension bushings, and maybe get the rods from Clarks with the rubber and poly bushings.

I want to drop the engine/tranny and clean em up / reseal the engine. While out, get new duel exhaust (is there any advantage in connecting the two sides to each other, like an "H" or "X" pipe?) and replace the lifter tube "O"rings? need to read up on that. So, what to use for the engine jack? a rolling motorcycle jack?

I want to replace all the weather striping and window felts, rubber. Windows roll up and down nice! :clap: A new top, boot and top well material. Like mentioned earlier, its got black interior, I want to change all that to white, but keep black carpet. Need to refoam the front seats or find some aftermarket buckets, thoughts?

After all that or during all that, I want to "buff out" the paint and see what I get. I was told that this is original paint, but I have never seen a small line of trim like that on other late model Corvairs, any ideas?

I picked up a pair of remote "sport side mirrors" off a ford Maverick many years ago, now I know what they are going on. :tu:

doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

I have a 65 Monza and did similar items.

New tank & sending unit

Rebuilt front & rear suspension. I thought about cutting the springs, but after installing new ones I don’t think I will now. I also installed urethane bushings rather than rubber.

As for engine removal: I used a regular car jack with DaveMotohead engine cradle installed. Works great!

Shop around for seals. I got a great deal on a complete set on eBay. SoftSeal brand for $120. Door seals, quarter glass, trunk, engine compartment, and roof(where the glass seals).

Post pictures [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

has anyone put tail light lenses for a 56 chevy on our cars?

Return to “Corvair Talk”