transmission leak?

All Models and Years
Walt

transmission leak?

Post by Walt »

Ok... so after having my car sit for 2 weeks while my new starter came in, today I discovered a new leak in a new place and with that examination found some strangeness from the previous owner... When I jacked up my car to replace the starter today I saw a rather large new spot on the driveway and it was mainly coming from here:
20201010_212652 s.jpg
So I followed the cable back to the transmission and found this:
20201010_212434 s.jpg
20201010_212442 s.jpg
What the heck is that orange stuff?! Some way to plug a leak where something should have been fixed? So I believe this is the shift control cable... does it maintain transmission fluid in it or is it just running down the outside of it? Also I have no idea why this would be suddenly leaking like this when the car has literally just been sitting for two weeks with a non-working starter...

Any insights or guidance would be appreciated!

Walt
JackBurton

Re: transmission leak?

Post by JackBurton »

That looks like gasket sealer to me. Is it hard or kinda soft to the touch?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Yes that looks like hi-temp orange silicone sealer.

The PG cable tends to leak after many decades. You have two choices - replace it, or remove it and patch. There is little or no fluid pressure at the cable. Many have reported partially removing the cable and putting heat shrink tubing over the cable to stop the leaking.
Walt

Post by Walt »

Thank you both for your replies... it's kind of a mixture between hard and soft it's kind of rubbery... Since I posted this last night I searched the forum and actually found quite a bit of info on how to replace this... It seems like a fairly big job with the risk of screwing up the shift selector and the gearing which I certainly don't want to do so perhaps if I can actually locate where it's actually leaking from I might consider just repairing it... I will have to give it some thought

If anyone reading this has replaced one before and could give me any tips that aren't in the manual it would be appreciated!
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Replacing the cable is well described in your GM factory shop manual. Very similar steps between early and late model cars. Look in the 1961 Cehvolet Corvair Shop Manual if your car is pre 1965. Look in the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual if your car is 65 or later.

The only real tip beyond the instructions in the manual is to be sure nothing can rub on it like e-brake or throttle linkage in the tunnel or under the dash either.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Walt

Post by Walt »

Ok, very good thank you!
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Walt wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:16 pm ... It seems like a fairly big job with the risk of screwing up the shift selector and the gearing
And now you know why someone attempted to seal a crack in the shift cable casing with RTV silicone sealer.

That cable is normally filled with fluid all the way to the front because it is below the fluid level in the pan when the torque converter fluid slowly drains into the pan after long periods of non-use. Many PG leaks don't show up if you drive daily but do show up if you park them for many weeks. The higher fluid level in the pan lets fluid go places it normally doesn't while driving regularly.

I first began using self-fusing silicone tape to seal those kinds of leaks back in 2010. Worked for me but cleanliness is super important during the application. I strongly recommend using only genuine, name brand Rescue Tape and not a cheaper knock-off version. Transmission fluid will eat or soften many sealers including most RTV sealers so I don't recommend any RTV for that type of repair.
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... msg-324615

Also see info here:
http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 55&t=10071
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I like the sealing heat shrink. It is almost impossible to get the cable to quit leaking ATF long enough to get sealing tape on. How do you do it?
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

My leak was further up front so I jacked up the car and let the fluid drip over several days until it stopped dripping. I then sprayed it with brake clean and lacquer thinner to get it really clean and wrapped after that.

I thought about draining the fluid and then adapting a vacuum cleaner hose to the dipstick so that it would suck air in through the small hole in the casing so fluid could not leak out while the vacuum was turned on. With the vacuum still running I would clean and then do the repair. Sounds good on paper but will the vacuum trick work? My leak never came back so I didn't need to try that.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

That's a thought but you would have to plug the vent. Maybe even better to make a plug for the dipstick and put the vacuum on an adapter for the vent. That way you wouldn't even have to drain the transmission.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I thought it would be harder to access the vent and get a good seal. Maybe the vacuum applied to the fill tube could overcome the vent leak or maybe you could reach up there and cover the vent with a wad of clay temporarily until you are done. Someone needs to try this (but don't use the same vacuum you use in the house).

::-):
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
Walt

Post by Walt »

Hey everybody just now seeing these last few replies all good information thank you very much! Since I got the starter fixed we did take it out for a run and it did not leak I understand what you are talking about here

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”