Shift Linkage or Tranny Problem ?

All Models and Years
SixtyFiver

Shift Linkage or Tranny Problem ?

Post by SixtyFiver »

On occasions, and quite frequently, when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd the Stick Shift locks up. By that I mean, the Stick Shift locks in the Neutral position and won't allow me to Shift into any Gear. After pulling safely onto the shoulder of the road, I set the hand brake, then toy with the Shifter and finally after several attempts, I can shift into 1st Gear and proceed. Luckily, this has not happened in traffic. I would like to know if anyone has experienced this problem.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Shift Linkage or Tranny Problem ?

Post by azdave »

I don't think the shift linkage could lock up like that but never heard of the issue myself. Could be way out of adjustment I guess. Have you given it a good visual inspection underneath at the shift coupler? You might want to lay a phone on the ground underneath and shoot some video while you shift it though the gears to watch for binding or such.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

It is difficult to assess the the problem with such limited information. What trans are you running, is it an EM or LM, when downshifting are the gears grinding, has a quick shift kit been installed? I have never had a shifter lock up before.
As mentioned above, I would first check the shifter and coupler for damage or improper adjustment. If the car has a quick shift installed the proper adjustment becomes very critical for proper opperation. Refer to the shop manual for proper adjustment. It is also possible the pins in the shifter housing are worn or damaged. This can usually be fixed by removing the pins from the base and reinstalling them with the worn side into the base leaving the unworn section out (hope that makes sense).
First step remove the tunnel pan and check for binding as mentioned above.
In short, it's most likely a linkage,coupler, or shifter base issue. Let us know what you find.
Norm
First corvair in 1985
Have owned 4 corvairs since
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
61 Monza club coupe w/ 150 turbo
Anchorage,AK
bacho57

Post by bacho57 »

@SixtyFiver I am having the exact same problem. Has this been corrected? If so, what were your findings, and how did you correct this ?
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

The fact that the problem is intermittent leads me to believe the problem is in the linkage, not inside the transmission. If so, you're lucky!

The linkage on a '60-64 is simpler than on a '65-69, but generally, the problems are due to worn shift couplers, worn or missing bushings at the ends of the shift rod, and/or worn rocker pins inside the shifter base (at the base of the shift lever).

I've even seen cases where the shift rod was bent, in which case, you'd probably want to find a replacement for the shift rod, especially for a late Corvair. (Too hard to explain why!)

If you have a '65-69 Corvair car, I can send instructions to you. Al Lacki redbat01@verizon.net :chevy:
irfgt

Post by irfgt »

Usually one of the shift forks and or synchronizer is worn causing the forks not to return to the neutral position and will cause a lock up. Not the news you wanted to hear Huh?
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

irfgt wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:36 am Usually one of the shift forks and or synchronizer is worn causing the forks not to return to the neutral position and will cause a lock up. Not the news you wanted to hear Huh?
"Dan the Gear Man" is in our club does a lot of transmission rebuilds. Before the 1964 transmission there were shift fork and blocker/synchronizer issues. Seem Chevy made changes to the transmission every year from 61 to 64. The 64 and 65 transmissions generally don't have the problems the earlier transmissions did. That said low, or worn out, lubricant will ruin any transmission.

BTW - makes sure of the year of transmission in your car. After decades of "swaps" you never know what year transmission is in a car until you verify.
erco

Post by erco »

When I first got my '67 in 1980, the shifting was really bad. Turns out the metal pin connecting the shift coupler to the transmission was super worn. Replacing that made a world of difference. Check yours for wear, it's a 5-second fix. My coupler was fine but I hear it can wear a lot too.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”