1st corvair

All Models and Years
Mello66

1st corvair

Post by Mello66 »

Hey I'm new here. Bought a 66 monza. Clutch cable broke. While pushing the car backwards into garage(engine off) it was accidentally knocked into gear for about 3feet. Can this cause any problems with the engine. Its running a little rough now
erco

Re: 1st corvair

Post by erco »

Going into gear shouldn't cause any engine problems AFAIK. Congrats, I have a '67 Monza. Welcome to the team!
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Mello66 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:55 pm Hey I'm new here. Bought a 66 monza. Clutch cable broke. While pushing the car backwards into garage(engine off) it was accidentally knocked into gear for about 3feet. Can this cause any problems with the engine. Its running a little rough now
Doubtful going into gear while pushing it caused an issue. Since you just got the car you really don't have a history of how it ran.

Roger Parent on the CCF forum makes a clutch cable that many recommend. Folks have been complaining about the Clark's Corvair clutch cable not lasting as long as expected. Other's say the Clark's cable is fine. One thing is for sure, if the linkage is not in good working order and lubricated the clutch cable will take a beating.

Anyway --- Roger has made a great carburetor linkage for years and his workmanship is well regarded. See http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,1047555

Corvairs are easy to tune IF you have experience, otherwise they can be frustrating. Join a club and learn who has experience.

If the gas tank is not clean (most aren't unless relatively new) expect carburetor problems. Many install an extra fuel filter since the bronze filters in the carburetors just keep out the big junk, not the little particles that can plug up the carburetor idle circuit.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Corvairs rely on cables to actuate manual transmission clutches and the parking brake. Automatic transmission (Powerglide) Corvairs eliminate the need for a long clutch cable and the associated pulleys, but they do rely heavily on the parking brake (because the Corvair Powerglide transmission does not have a PARK transmission-locking mechanism found in most automatic transmission cars. This means that the parking brake cable and its associated plastic pulleys is critical to holding the Corvair in-place while parked, and the cable/pulley system is just as vulnerable to breaking as the clutch system in manual transmission Corvairs. A broken clutch cable is inconvenient, and it is a good idea to service/inspect them routinely to try to detect deterioration and a need for repair before they actually break. A spare clutch cable in the trunk can make a roadside repair or a tow truck and mechanic-based repair possible when you are a long way from home. (Those cables will not be found at the local auto parts store). A broken plastic pulley is a greater problem that will disable a clutch cable even if the clutch cable has not snapped. The aluminum pulleys offered by Roger Parent are a good idea to head-off the problem with the aging, broken clutch cable pulley.

The failed parking brake cable will not disable the Corvair, but in a Powerglide-based Corvair it could be a disaster if the cable snaps or a pulley breaks unexpectedly and the Corvair rolls away into an accident. A new cable, Roger Parent metal pulley system, and perhaps some plastic wheel chocks in the trunk, along with reoutine parking brake cable maintenance/inspection can help to prevent a disaster if the parking brake system were to fail.

The cables are available from sources like Clarks Corvair Parts. I have attached a copy of Roger Parent's catalog.

ImageImage
CLUTCH :link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... w_page=112
PARKING BRAKE :link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... w_page=148

Info on Roger Parent improved clutch cables.
:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,1047555

See page 6 of the attached Roger Parent catalog for Aluminum Clutch and E-Brake pulleys.
Attachments
Roger Parent Catalog 11-02-19.pdf
Roger Parent Catalog
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 64 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Mello66

Post by Mello66 »

Wow thanks for all the great info! I just purchased a clutch cable and metal pulley. Let ya know how it all works out. Thanks again Bernie
erco

Post by erco »

Bernie, did you ever sort out your rough running problem?
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Most old cars have "issues". I'd suggest you state your general location for a possible connection to a club were folks might help.

If you have experience with old cars you can learn to deal with the Corvair differences. Unfortunately many clubs are working on a restricted basis until COVID-19 is under control - probably by late 2021.

The club I'm in used to have garage runs to help members with problems, but that has come to a halt for practical reasons.
erco

Post by erco »

66vairguy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:29 pm
The club I'm in used to have garage runs to help members with problems, but that has come to a halt for practical reasons.
Those in-person garage runs got COrVaIreD!
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

If anyone is close to me come on by. I'm not scared.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Mello66

Post by Mello66 »

Finally back on the road! Replaced the clutch cable and pulley(thanks guys) and fixed the rough idle with a different brand of gas and a zinc additive. Purrs like a kitten!
61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

Always good to hear of a successful project. Hope your enjoying your ride. I see you had another post about rear speakers. I would build a small enclosure in the rear package shelf. Some fiber board,caulk, and screws to put it together. Cover it with carpet or vinyl. I believe Ted has built several boxes. I'm sure he will chime in.
Norm
First corvair in 1985
Have owned 4 corvairs since
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
61 Monza club coupe w/ 150 turbo
Anchorage,AK
61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

Sorry about the mistake information on the speaker box. I didn't notice you have a convertible. No package area for the box.
First corvair in 1985
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
Anchorage,AK
Mello66

Post by Mello66 »

Not a problem Norm. I'm thinking of building a box like a "center console" that extends almost to the back seat. I'll install speakers in it, and maybe storage and cup holder.
61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

That sounds like a good solution. Let us know how the console works out.
First corvair in 1985
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
Anchorage,AK

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”