New Pistons & Cylinders in Boxes!

Anything Corvair related
erco

New Pistons & Cylinders in Boxes!

Post by erco »

I never tried "OfferUp" before today. A local guy had a pickup truck full of '68 Corvair engine parts he was selling for another guy who just needed his storage unit cleaned out. Mostly good used stuff, but I spied 6 beat up box cubes in the corner. Brand new, almost zero rust, factory fresh cylinders & pistons. Rings must be in there too, since the pistons are "stuck" in the bore. I have never seen new pist/cyls in the box, I was quite excited! Still had the dealer label on them from Stockton CA. I also got 11 newish pushrod tubes, all this for $100. He had two mostly complete engines, lots of sheetmetal, a PG transaxle, a flywheel, two pressure plates and LOTS more. No turbocharger but he had a turbo carb+air cleaner+crossover tube. Air cleaner was dirty but dent-free with good chrome. Nice to see such good parts available. Dude just wants to get rid of it all.

I have an engine rebuild imminent. Not sure if I'll use these pistons just yet. My 140 already has .030 TRW forged pistons with low miles.

I'll use OfferUp again, try it and see what's in YOUR area!
66vairguy

Re: New Pistons & Cylinders in Boxes!

Post by 66vairguy »

The TRW forged pistons are superior to stock cast units.

Chevy dealers sold pistons with the cylinders - never separate. This was done to assure proper piston to cylinder clearance. Years ago I got a 1966 set in a bunch of stuff I bought. You should find a number stamped in ink on top of the piston. The number identifies the piston weight group. Chevy always used the same piston weight group number on opposing pistons. Yes it would be better for all pistons to be the same weight, but for a stock motor the factory system was adequate.

BTW in 1968 some pistons were domed for the emissions engines except the 140HP that always used flat top pistons even with A.I.R equipment. The only folks that want the domed pistons are folks with non-140HP emissions control engines.
erco

Post by erco »

Good info, thanks. I know the TRW forged pistons are superior in every way, but they are a lot heavier than cast units. And yes, all 6 new pistons are flat top types.

Apparently I talked too much to the guy about his turbo parts, he relisted just those for $400! https://offerup.com/item/detail/969454275/

His initial price for everything was $475 but I guess that ship has sailed. :chevy:
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I have a spare set of those as well. Nothing wrong with using genuine GM cast piston/cylinder sets on a standard rebuild unless you are going racing or running boost. One of my Corsas runs forged but all the others are cast.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “Corvair Talk”