New Member out in the middle of no where kansas

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Abarthgokart95

New Member out in the middle of no where kansas

Post by Abarthgokart95 »

So I recently won in a fundraiser for my local tech college a very nice and very clean 1965 Monza. 2 speed car. the body and interior is in great shape minus a little scuff on the drivers side door. the engine needs some work but it fires up and runs really nice.

I think the carbs need adjusted and there is a slight oil leak out of the oil filter, i suspect its a bad seal or something.

I also have a leak somewhere on the transmission. i think its one of the lines but i am not 100 certain.

also i am leaking fuel from one of the rubber hoses in the tank. so long as i don't put more then a 1/4 tank in it doesn't leak

I do have 2 questions i wanted to ask
1. is there anything i need to be aware of with the transmission. i hear different things about them but i want to hear from this group of experts
2. what is the word on switching over to fuel injection with these engines.

i will be sure to post pictures of the car when i can.

thanks a bunch in advance
66vairguy

Re: New Member out in the middle of no where kansas

Post by 66vairguy »

Congratulations on the car. The gas tank has a filler hose and a vent hose between the filler pipe in the fender and the tank. You can order them from Clark's Corvair, or find hoses that fit. NOTE today's fuel require top grade fuel hose. Gates Barricade is a good fuel hose I use between the fuel tank gauge float and line back to the engine. I've used the Clark's hoses for the tank filler neck and they seem fine. Not much fun changing the hoses. If the tank is crusty then install a new gas tank. Much easier to install the hoses as you install the tank, but still not fun.

The Corvair oil filter is unique - the shop manual explains the gaskets, BUT there are other sources that could leak in that area. Do a good inspection before assuming where the leak is.

I assume by "two speed" transmission you meant the automatic "Powerglide". It is a durable transmission, but two areas of concern are the "E" clip breaking and the shift cable leaking. Some remove the cable and use electrical heat shrink tubing over the area were the cable goes into the fitting. Some just wrap it up with tape and silicone sealer. You can install a new cable, but usually the heat shrink fix works. The Corvair cars don't use a transmission cooler (the bell housing is open to cool the torque converter). If you have a torque converter issue, then I'd suggest a good used one. For some reason folks have all kinds of problems with Corvair rebuilt torque converters.

A couple folks make fuel injection kits, BUT they are relatively expensive. I like F.I., but can't justify the cost for a hobby car. The 65 carburetors are pre-emission controls and while more complicated than the earlier carburetors they usually can be rebuilt to work fine. That said ---- I find many incorrect carburetors on old Corvairs. Buy Bob Helt's Corvair Rochester carburetor book. Clark's or Seth Emerson (https://www.perfvair.com/) sell the book. I almost always have to install a new throttle plate shaft due to wear - Clark's sells them.

If you go with an electric fuel pump (the new manual pumps seem to have issues) make sure it's a 4 -5 PSI pump. Some incorrectly install the 9-10 PSI electric fuel pumps which is excessive (Corvair carburetors are rated for 4-5 PSI).

Good luck and enjoy.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

If the cable leaks you can buy heat shrink with built in sealer and do the entire cable. That seems to be a permanent fix.
Check the differential fluid to be sure there is no ATF in it. That will ruin it quickly. Since it is a '65 you should have a dipstick. If there is ATF in the differential you'll have to pull the differential and take it completely apart to replace the pinion seals and adjuster o-ring.
There are o-rings for the end of the shift cable, governor and throttle valve that you should replace while messing with it to cover your bases. You'll need a pan gasket also since you have to remove the pan to replace the TV o-ring. Use the new Dexron VI fluid.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Abarthgokart95

Post by Abarthgokart95 »

well i found the leak and it was in the Oil Pressure sensor. and i appreciate all the helpful tips
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

That's no where near the transmission. ?
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Introductions”