Is Steering coupler supposed to have bearing race inside?

All Models and Years
jcannon44

Is Steering coupler supposed to have bearing race inside?

Post by jcannon44 »

I just pulled my steering box and steering shaft on my 66 Monza convertible. Unfortunately the rubber boot on the coupler was torn and needs to be replaced, my question is: should there be bearings in there? Or should I just replace the grease in there and not worry about it? Thank you for any help!
Jeff Cannon, Smithfield VA
1966 Corvair Monza Convertible
66vairguy

Re: Is Steering coupler supposed to have bearing race inside?

Post by 66vairguy »

The 66 shop manual supplement has a view of the parts. No real bearing, but a pin in the shaft with a block on each side on the pin that fits into the coupler housing. This allows a little movement. There is a heavy gauge bracket on the bulkhead the coupler hits during a crash that pushes the steering box back. A type of safety device, but not good enough for the Federal regulations for the 67 models, which got the collapsible steering shaft.

You will find a ball bearing in the bottom of the upper steering shaft mast (outside tube). This bearing had a felt seal is is usually full of dirt and dried out grease. I'm always surprised how much easier the steering wheel turns when I clean and grease this bearing. It comes apart in the mast so you don't have to drive it out and replace it, BUT don't lose the little ball bearings!!! If it's badly rusted, then replace it.

By now you've probably figured out that after all these decades it's best to pull out the steering box with shaft, coupler, and upper shaft intact and rebuild it. DON'T cut a hole in the inner fender per the shop manual to unbolt the coupler, that was a cheapy way for the dealers to replace a bad steering box when parts were still new and you could unbolt the coupler. Now it's easier to just pull out the whole unit AFTER you pull the steering wheel, turn signal mechanism, and the inside mast.

I recall Clark's has a repoduction rubber coupler boot.
jcannon44

Post by jcannon44 »

Thank You! I’m trying to order that boot now!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I don't know if the attached 1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - STEERING accurately depicts the 1966 Corvair's steering configuration, but I think they were the same, and then changed in later years to incorporate a collapsible safety design. I hope this is helpful. If you find the detailed drawings useful, you can download the entire 1965 Assembly Manual for free, or purchase the 1966 version in hard copy from Clark's Corvair Parts.

:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... _page=243B

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, MA is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=6007

:chevy:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - STEERING.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - STEERING
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 40 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Here's a borrowed image (ignore the extra notations) showing the sliding square bearing blocks that were common in many steering coupler joints of that era. These came into use in late production 65 Corvairs.
Attachments
WTB Steering Coupler for Telescoping sterring colum - Google Chrome 9152020 50044 AM.jpg
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
jcannon44

Post by jcannon44 »

Thank You! Think I have it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
American

Re: Is Steering coupler supposed to have bearing rac. Doess the pin slide out or is it pressed in so l can replace ins

Post by American »

65 steering colum rubber boot pin does it slide out or does it have to be pressed out
66vairguy

Re: Is Steering coupler supposed to have bearing rac. Doess the pin slide out or is it pressed in so l can replace ins

Post by 66vairguy »

American wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:35 pm 65 steering colum rubber boot pin does it slide out or does it have to be pressed out
I just had to replace that pin on a steering column I bought because someone tried to "hammer" it out and mushroomed the pin end so the pivot block would NOT fit on it. A press is best, but you can use a BIG brass hammer, or a brass drift, if you set the shaft on a hard wood block with a hole in it for the pin to move into. Once the pin is flush in the shaft a brass drift is best, but since the pin is inside the shaft hole you can CAREFULLY use a steel drift to push it through. Basically -- if you hammer on steel with steel somethings is going to give and it's usually the end of the pin! Brass or bronze "gives" vs. steel.

A press, if set up correctly, applies even constant pressure to move the pin without distorting it.

BTW --- This coupler system was first introduced during the middle of the 1965 model year production, so about half the 65 cars also use it. It was designed to minimize steering wheel intrusion into the "driver" during a severe front end accident. While an improvement, it did not meet the Fedreral crash standards and the Corvair got the GM "collapsible" steering column design for the 1967 model year.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”