new fuel tank

All Models and Years
Fletch

new fuel tank

Post by Fletch »

My first task on this 65 is to install new gas tank, sending unit, and fuel line. What all has to be removed to get old tank out. Sending unit had disintegrated, and about 3 inches of rust in bottom of old tank.
terribleted

Re: new fuel tank

Post by terribleted »

Sway bar must be removed. Everything else is tank mounting and tank related. Hopefully you are also purchasing all new hoses, hose clamp, sender and gasket, and a filler neck grommet to facilitate the replacement. Clark's sells new tank kits that include all at a slightly reduced price. Make sure you get a new sending unit filter sock unless yours is nice.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Thanks. The sway bar clamps are rusted so bad I may have to cut the bolts. To be honest I am re thinking this whole restore, I didn’t expect so much rust. I was told by the man I purchased one of the 65’s that it had ran a little while back, but there was no way.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

You don't say were you are at, or were the car spent most of it's time. Old rust belt cars can be beyond restoring for a reasonable amount of money. Most Corvairs aren't that expensive to buy and you don't want to dump too much money into a rust bucket. Sometimes it is actually less expensive to buy a solid western car and pay to ship it back east for a restore.

I've lived in the Midwest and in the western states. Western cars usually have minimal rust. I rarely have to get out the torch to get bolts loose.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

I am in Cleveland Tn. But the title for the 65 convertible, automatic is from Ga. Who knows where it was before that. My fault that I didn't check it out closer, before I bought it or the parts car, another 65 stick shift convertible. If I can get the engine to start and run, I would probably look for another body. It turns over, but has sat for a long time. I am going to rebuild the carbs. thanks for any and all advice.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Do not pronounce the convertible dead just because of some rusty sway bay bolts:) (These can be a pain sometimes...I have had to cut them off inside the crossmember as the bolts are fused to the sleeves and just will not budge) Evaluate the body by looking at how rusty it is overall. Typical rust like lower windshield, lower fenders rear lower rear 1/4 panels, some floor footwells, etc. may not be a killer, but, rust in door hinge posts, door striker posts, and holes in rocker panels to me means run away and I can fix them myself. Rocker panel repair can be a very involved process (think $3000-5000 to even approaching $10,000 in a shop). I would much rather spend for a solid body in the first place rather than replace and fabricate rocker pieces into a rusty one.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Thanks for the advice, I am already checking out a more solid body. But have not given up on this one yet. Thanks
erco

Post by erco »

Hang tough, Fletch! Here's what came out of my tank.

Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Yep that’s kinda the way mine looked, only it was dry, and believe it or not rust had filled the bottom of the tank up to the sending unit. Thanks
erco

Post by erco »

My car sat for 20 years. Still had exactly 5 gallons of nasty gas in it, filled that 5 gal bucket to the top.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Rust filled tanks are somewhat typical in 50+ year old cars. here is another one.
IMG_0036.JPG

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

What Are the Dangers of Old Gasoline in Cars?

:link: https://itstillruns.com/dangers-old-gas ... 14148.html
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

YEP. That's the way my tank looks, inside. I have 2 1965 corvair convertables, one was just for parts, but I am finding out more and more that they both need the same things. I am considering either selling both, or parting them out. Then purchasing one that already runs, (not fully restored). decisions, decisions.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Fletch wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:29 am YEP. That's the way my tank looks, inside. I have 2 1965 corvair convertables, one was just for parts, but I am finding out more and more that they both need the same things. I am considering either selling both, or parting them out. Then purchasing one that already runs, (not fully restored). decisions, decisions.
Fuel tanks similar to this are common in these cars. I have found them in very nice cars as people tend to neglect the mechanical systems. Fuel tank is easy...you just replace it with a new one. The important thing when considering restoring one of these cars is the body itself. Everything else can be found purchased and rebuilt or replaced with relative ease. Most of these cars unless they have had extensive previous mechanical work will need a lot of mechanical items replaced. Even a lot of the beautiful "show" cars I see have worn out chassis parts and mechanical systems. Too often these "nice" cars are also rust buckets that have been filled in with bondo and not actually repaired. The best way especially with the low values of Corvairs to get a really nice Corvair is to buy one that is already really nice. Almost every time the cost will be significantly less than buying one and fixing it up. You can buy very nice fully restored Corvairs for around the cost of the parts and materials needed to complete their restoration. The only problem is avoiding the "restored" cars that are nothing more than lipstick on a pig.

Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Thanks. I bought these two 65’s to build one for my wife. That is what her grandfather taught her to drive in. But we bought these without knowing a lot about corvair. I am 68, soon 69, and I have actually bought and worked on cars since I was 15, but never a corvair. They are very different, than a 70 Mach 1, or a 68 Cameroon. Thanks for your advice.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”