The Age old Early Model wheel Question

All Models and Years
terribleted

Re: The Age old Early Model wheel Question

Post by terribleted »

NMVair wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:17 pm Oh yeah, your car is awesome Ted. Definitely the right choice! It rocks! :guitar:
Not mine. Restoring for another gentleman. The 195/70 14 on those 5.5 wide wheel should be ok. Really can not tell 100% unless you have mounted the combination on the car. The tire is about 1/2" wider than the stock 13, these 14's are 7.7 wide at the widest point and the stock 13's are 7.3 inches.. The setup would be hair little less toward the inside than the 15" setup on the car I am working on, and it only just barely touches, so I would bet it would not touch. I could fix the contact issue on this car by adding less than 1/8 inch of height to the steering stops (to stop the steering just a hair sooner), but, this little rub is not going to cause any problem so why bother.

Here is a good tire calculator to compare tires https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

All very interesting. Good luck with your build.
Thanks for the input on my wheel set up (to be). I think I will pop on these wheels and tires. I called VTO yesterday and they gave me a 10% discount. We had an interesting conversation where he said I would have "plenty" of room in the fenders with this set up. Looking at the numbers its not hard to believe him or at least any issue would be a "non-issue" so I think I found the answer to my wheel issue.
I would also like to say that i would be more apt to keep any Corvair stock to preserve its historic value but since I put a 140 in it already (original engine blew up)that's out the window and I really think the larger tires with this set up would serve me best. The reality is Corvairs got a bad wrap early on but are beyond reproach these days and absolutely should be preserved as an important part of American automotive history, if not Americana in general. My perception is there are a number of things we can do as Corvair owners to "modernize" our rides to make them better equipped to deal with today's driving conditions. Larger-and more options to wheels are part of this. If you make your car your own by modifying or you keep it the way Chevy intended it to be-both are cool. I worry-if not cringe a little bit-about chopping the hell out of them or adding redundant wheels that are a bit to "hip-hop" for me. But hey I am just sharing my opinion here, right.
My next issue; should I go with electronic ignition. I am leaning towards it not being necessary. I think letting the engine breath better (intake and exhaust) should be enough to keep up with today's traffic.
Thanks to everyone who helped with this wheel issue.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I like electronic point replacement ignitions and have been using the XR700 units from Crane/FAST for years. Points need to be checked and adjusted every 3K miles or so from my experience for best operation. With an electronic ignition this is unnecessary. I also find I get quicker starts and slightly better overall performance. The Fast XR700 (Used to be Crane...now marketed by FAST) is an easy install which requires no changes to wiring or coil. The other option I might consider would be a stinger electronic distributor. I have installed a few in customers cars but have not used one myself.

Another mod I almost always do on my cars is an electric fuel pump. If I happen to have a stock pump that works I will not just go change it , but, if it fails I convert. I have had horrendous luck with replacement stock pumps as far as incorrect pressures, leaks and failures and have never had issues with the electric ones I have installed except for mild noise they make (little square box diaphragm pumps are very noisy and I will not use those).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Wow! That's all very interesting Ted. I have been discouraged at using electronic ignition by old timers in the past but having been a Harley person for all my life I can say electronic ignition is better for me than points.
I was told recently Chrysler ignition works well in Corvairs.
Of course as I have said here I plan to drive this car so the more trouble free I can get the better. I am pretty handy but being the son of a auto transmission mechanic, I don't consider myself a mechanic but would like to be completely knowledgeable regarding Corvairs as I really am into them. I have had a couple over the years. In fact, when I was a young man I had another 64 Monza that never gave me any trouble and I was really in the dark n those days. It was stock. My current car has been more of an adventure.
Is the installation of an electronic ignition very strait forward? My impression is that it is. I try not to be to much of a hack respecting the way a job needs to be done right, cleanliness and all.
I have an electronic fuel pump currently. I think they refer to it as a circular one-something like that. But I have used it only as an assist to my mechanical fuel pump (for start up and back up). Of course now the mechanical fuel pump is now on the fritz. My impression is that good mechanical fuel pumps for Corvairs are on the horizon but I have heard all kinds of horror stories regarding them like a bad batch that was out there for years. I almost always use American made parts. I heard that O'rielly's has one with a life time warranty ($100) and also that a man out east is making a good rebuild kit for the mech. fuel pumps.
Thanks for the direction. I have a lot to think about and I know that one can go crazy putting money into these great cars but the things we are talking about really are that expensive.....
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: Image :oldtimer: terribleted

More Info...
ELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTOR UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT OPTIONS
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=15101

I tend to agree about the original Corvair mechanical fuel pumps.
Takes a Licking....jpg
But New Pump Replacement Clones..Not so Good!

But when some mechanical pumps aren't pumpin', the pump itself may not be bad. Check the two short fuel hoses in the line between the tank and the engine compartment. They sometimes deteriorate and develop a leak or crack that allows air to enter and makes it impossible for the pump to develop the vacuum needed to draw fuel from the tank to the pump. Some new short hoses and clamps may be all that is needed!

HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO DRINK THROUGH A STRAW THAT HAS A SMALL SPLIT OR CRACK IN ITS SIDE??? IT CAN'T BE DONE!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

$100 for a mechanical pump is just another reason to go electric:) The Airtex E8016S pumps i prefer are around 1/3 that prices and install while not an instant bolt in is neither hard nor expensive. An electric pump will not by itself fill my crankcase full of fuel either like a failed stock one can.

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I'm hoping for a new Corvair replacement mechanical fuel pump that includes an integrated pressure gauge and a user adjustable fuel pressure spring (with an optional remote control that is dash-mounted with a digital fuel pressure display). :pray:

:think: Ideally this new mechanical fuel pump would have
indestructible internal diaphragms made of Naugahyde!

Image :rolling:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

That would be an awesome fuel pump. It seems to me they can put a man on the moon then.........
Come to think about it, what type of fuel pumps do they use in airplanes that utilize Corvair engines? I am sure it has to be more reliable.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

generally electric ones with switched valves to switch between tanks.

guthrie1068
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by guthrie1068 »

I wanted to chime in on the wheel conversation with just a couple of details. First, backspacing and offset can be confusing, especially with wheels that aren't steel. Typically aluminum wheel width is measured from the tire mounting surface, so a 7" wheel is really 8" wide. That's why you'll see 7" wheels with 0 offset and 4" backspacing. On an EM that is not lowered, there's a good chance that you won't experience any rubbing with a wheel like that, but it will be pushed out closer to the fender. Like some people have said here, pushing the wheels out can cause some issues if you've got passengers and the road is bumpy. I use the other forum more, and here is a link to my build with a good section on wheel sizing. I converted mine to 5 lug, but that doesn't change the wheel size/offset issues.
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 539,page=1
I also converted to a pertronix 1, you'll have to replace the resistor wire with a non-resistor wire, but I love the electronic ignition.
Chad Guthrie
Rives Junction, MI
'63 Convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Lowering with spring changes makes zero difference on rubbing. It can change how often the tires or wheels rub something but not if they rub unless you just drive slowly around in a parking lot that has no bumps.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
guthrie1068
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by guthrie1068 »

That's not true. The wheels on the front of my car are 16x7 (total width is 8") and the offset is +30, which means that more of the wheel is inside the car and less is out towards the fender. I have 205 50 16s on them. If those wheels were 0 offset they wouldn't clear the fender at all, the fender would sit on the tire at this ride height. With this offset I had to roll the fender lips to keep them from rubbing when I turn. My car is lowered with both springs and dropped hub mounts.
Attachments
vair ds front.jpg
Chad Guthrie
Rives Junction, MI
'63 Convertible
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

15x7, zero offset, 205/60/15 tires. rubs suspension at full lock but that's it.
Attachments
dads 62.jpg
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”