The Age old Early Model wheel Question

All Models and Years
NMVair

The Age old Early Model wheel Question

Post by NMVair »

Its been a while but I have decided to revive my 1964 Monza (140) PG. that has been sitting for a while.
I want to get black rims-14 or larger but like many as I have read the wheel issue can be an overload. I found the enclosed rims that are understated, very affordable and should look good on my white Car.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aero-55- ... u8QAvD_BwE

The problem I am seeking feedback from the forum is before I go thru the trouble of ordering them, I want to make sure they will fit. Can you guys who have gone thru the experience of installing larger rims take a look and telll me what you think and what your experience with similar size wheels has been. If these will rub or whatever can you make another rim suggestion....
Then of course I will be seeking input regarding tires.....
Thanks in advance
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: The Age old Early Model wheel Question

Post by bbodie52 »

Aero 55-174535 55 Series 15x7 Wheel, 4-lug, 4x4.5 BP, 3.5 BS
15 Inch Wheel Diameter, Steel, 7" Width, 4x4.5 in. Wheel Bolt Pattern (in.), Powder Coated

Reference (recommended reading):
Sizing Corvair Wheels and Tires
:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

Wheel swapping

Earlies use 4 lugs on a 4 ½" circle (4 x 4 ½")

Center Hole Diameter - The hole in the center of the wheel that the hub fits through. Earlies are 2 5/8"

Backspacing - The distance from the inside of the rim to the point where the wheel contacts the brake drum. All car 5 ½" wide wheels have a backspacing of 4 ¼". For reference, more backspace moves the wheel further in the wheel well, less backspace brings it out. Maximum backspace for an early with 15" wheels is 5". When sizing a wider wheel, add half of the additional width to the stock backspacing to arrive at the backspacing for the new wheel.

By my calculations, a 7"wide wheel is 1½" wider than a stock Corvair 5½" wheel. Adding ½ of that extra width (¾") to the stock wheel backspacing of 4¼" = 5" (desired backspacing for the 7" wide wheel), which is the maximum backspacing for a 15" diameter wheel on an Early Corvair. The actual backspacing on the wheels you are considering is 3½", which is 1½" short of the desired backspacing of 5" to center the rim over the axle bearings. Since you can consider ± ½" to have no effect at all on the handling, and these new wheels would be + 1½", the wheels would protrude out excessively and would impact the handling and would place an uneven load on the wheel bearings.

According to the article, when fitting new wheels the rim should ideally remain positioned in and out relative to the hub as close to stock as possible (yes, tires sticking way out from the fenders are a bad thing), which can be determined by measuring the backspacing. This dimension is probably the most important, because if the tire is not located correctly the wheel bearings will wear prematurely due to uneven loading, the tires may hit the inside or outside of the fender or other components, and the car will likely dart around when you hit a bump.

14", 15", 16" or even 17" diameter wheels will fit on all Corvairs, but the width on earlies can't exceed about 7" because of two points of interference. On the front, the end of the steering arm comes close to the sidewall, and on the rear, the upper shock mounting point is close to the sidewall. Fitting quick steering arms may help the clearance problem up front, while some careful trimming may increase clearance in the rear.

If you're willing to buy new wheels, the options for tire sizes open up, plus you can vary the looks of the car. For street use, most folks like either 14" or 15" wheels with either 70 or 60 series tires, which give better cornering performance while still having a good ride.

Early: Good interchanges for early models are 6" wide wheels from a '70 - '78 Datsun Z or an '83 - '87 "AE86" RWD Toyota Corolla. The Z wheels are a little outboard, the backspacing for a 6" wheel should be at or just over 4" (ideal would be 4 1/2") the Toyota wheels will be a better fit, up to 7" wide will work. Good 14" tire choices are 185/70-14, 195/70-14, or 205/70-14. 185/60-15 and 195/60-15 sizes should work well with 15" wheels.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Thank You. One person anyway. So they would work but not exactly right....ly?
What about an inch spacer? Where would I get one?
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Oh I see I would need less-the opposite of a spacer-not more. Right?
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Wheel bearings are cheap and I like these wheels. I don't think cosmetically they would protrude?!?
Would they rub in any way?
61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

I would not suggest going with these wheels. The back spacing is wrong for the application. Further more a 7inch rim with proper width tire (205 to 225) would make the clearance issue worse. Even if you roll the wheel well lip they won't have proper clearance. I run 13×6 Ansen sprints that are reversed with rolled lip and 195/70 13 and they have just enough clearance. If you run those wheels you will have problems.
The wheel bearings are cheap is incorrect. The rear wheel bearings will cost some big money. Find some wheels that are appropriate for your car. The above aren't what you want.
First corvair in 1985
Have owned 4 corvairs since
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
61 Monza club coupe w/ 150 turbo
Anchorage,AK
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

NMVair wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:59 am Thank You. One person anyway. So they would work but not exactly right....ly?
What about an inch spacer? Where would I get one?
No they would stick out and rub the fenders most likely, without any spacer. I think even rolling the fender edges would not make enough clearance.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

First of thanks for all your help. Any body have any suggestions? I like the Ansen sprints but would like to go black.
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Oh I know about rear wheel bearings I wasn't considering them....Got it.
61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

If you like the Ansen Sprint wheels you can buy new ones in 15×6 with a 4×4.5 bolt pattern with the proper back spacing. Have them powder coated black. That would be bitchin.
First corvair in 1985
Have owned 4 corvairs since
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
61 Monza club coupe w/ 150 turbo
Anchorage,AK
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

My post didn't show up.
The above link says this about those wheels: "Aero wheels are lug centric, which means they are built off of, and must be balanced using, the bolt circle and NOT the wheel center hole. Improper use of a tire balancer that centers the wheel on the hub bore, not the bolt circle, will result in an incorrect reading for rim runout as the center hole is not in the perfect center of the bolt pattern. The only machine capable of performing a lug centric balance is the Hunter GSP 9700 with the flange plate bolt circle adapter and no centering cone. "
I wouldn't want them. That balancer is around $15,000 new so very few shops have them. I have one but I don't have the adapter mentioned.
I have 17x7s on a 64 Spyder with no fender modifications. 225 width tires no issues. I think I could have easily gone with 8" wide wheels. No way I would buy new wheels any narrower than 7" for all the way around. I have thought about 7 fronts and 8 or wider rears because of the Corvair's weight in the rear.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Powder coating the Ansen Sprint would be a great idea but more $$$
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Man O Man I can't find 13×6 Ansen sprints I looked again and they were 15". Does anyone know where to find 13×6 Ansen sprints.
Here is the closest thing I could find and they are wrong?
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCl ... lsrc=aw.ds
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

If you guys would post links to wheels that would fit with the proper specs it might be very helpful....I appreciate it.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

https://www.vtowheels.com/1960-1964_c_1339-2.html

These are one of the choices above:
IMG_4003.JPG

https://www.vtowheels.com/Silverstone-1 ... p_127.html

Sorry the computer will not display this image right side up regardless of how i rotate it before hand..dam Iphone photos:(
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Or Teach a Guy to Fish, how do you search for the right wheels. At this point I would buy any rims that look remotely like I want. It would be great to get non-"disco" black rims that would fit with the right bolt pattern and back space. It would be nice to get 14 or 15 inch to open my tire options but 13's will work. I guess I just don't get into the monza hubcaps that I have but if I am not sure any rims I like won't fit perfectly then I won't order them. If I can't find what I am looking for I will stick with the 13's and the hubcaps I have and lump the search...
So what I am finding is that not only are finding 13 inch tires somewhat difficult but up sizing and keeping the tires healthy (so to speak) for the car difficult or non existent. What am I doing wrong? Am I asking for the world here?

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”